A certain State University located in Missouri

From the St Louis Post-Dispatch:

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Next year’s Mizzou-Memphis football game at The Dome at America’s Center will be one of 10 Mizzou sporting events that will take place in the St. Louis region over the 2023-24 academic year as part of the agreement between Mizzou and the St. Louis Sports Commission.

The “Mizzou to the Lou Series” will take place between July 1, 2023 and June 20, 2024 and include "approximately 10" contests involving MU teams at local venues mutually acceptable for the Commission and MU, according to multiple contracts obtained by the Post-Dispatch. The events, dates and locations are undetermined. 

As part of the 10-event deal, the Commission will pay Mizzou athletes for use of their name, image and likeness rights to market and promote the events in St. Louis.

Any bets on if one of those events will be a Men’s Basketball game vs SLU? 

My own guess is No. They will probably play a Men’s Basketball game at Enterprise Center, but it will be against anyone but SLU. Just my guess.

7 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Next year’s Mizzou-Memphis football game at The Dome at America’s Center will be one of 10 Mizzou sporting events that will take place in the St. Louis region over the 2023-24 academic year as part of the agreement between Mizzou and the St. Louis Sports Commission.

The “Mizzou to the Lou Series” will take place between July 1, 2023 and June 20, 2024 and include "approximately 10" contests involving MU teams at local venues mutually acceptable for the Commission and MU, according to multiple contracts obtained by the Post-Dispatch. The events, dates and locations are undetermined. 

As part of the 10-event deal, the Commission will pay Mizzou athletes for use of their name, image and likeness rights to market and promote the events in St. Louis.

My own guess is No. They will probably play a Men’s Basketball game at Enterprise Center, but it will be against anyone but SLU. Just my guess.

Good, don’t want SLU’s strength of schedule to drop, got to make the big dance.

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Lindenwood in football, SIUE basketball, us in soccer :)

Mi$$ou basketball playing in St. Louis any more than the braggin rights game is a total affront to the SLU program and should not be tolerated.

Ford and Chris May should be calling Lawrence KS and South Bend giving them 2 for 1s and playing our game at the dome.

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Mi$$ou basketball playing in St. Louis any more than the braggin rights game is a total affront to the SLU program and should not be tolerated.

Ford and Chris May should be calling Lawrence KS and South Bend giving them 2 for 1s and playing our game at the dome.

Absolutely. This is a joke and a slap in the face to SLU from the St. Louis Sports Commission.

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Well maybe they are thinking the Braggin Rights game is part of this?  They never wanted to play more than 1 bb game in StL before.  Maybe the NIL thing has changed their thoughts.

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

Well played...I'd also like a call to the 859 area code. 

-the St Louis Sports Commission paying Mizzou athletes? this seems too far

-Scott Highmark and Chris May are among the 60 or so members on the Board of the Commission - https://stlsports.org/about-us/staff-and-board/

-if we told the Sports Commission to go to hell, what do we miss?

-my guess is other than the football and basketball games the other events will be of little to no consequence, a baseball game at Busch, a women's soccer game at the stadium and perhaps these will be against our teams - I don't care if there is a wrestling or gymnastic meet, I care if the St Louis Sports Commission is paying Mizzou kids and not our kids

Davis likes this

Nothing preventing SLU from doing same thing with Sports Commission. Yeah, no football team. But who seriously thinks Mizzou has one or has had one any time recently. Ditto basketball. SLU’s basketball and both soccer teams are way better. Don’t tell me there’s no way we couldn’t set up a very attractive NIL deal for SLU and visiting players. How about a pre-season basketball triple header or tournament? NIL from Commission and TV network? Smart minds can figure out. 

12 minutes ago, Adman said:

Nothing preventing SLU from doing same thing with Sports Commission. Yeah, no football team. But who seriously thinks Mizzou has one or has had one any time recently. Ditto basketball. SLU’s basketball and both soccer teams are way better. Don’t tell me there’s no way we couldn’t set up a very attractive NIL deal for SLU and visiting players. How about a pre-season basketball triple header or tournament? NIL from Commission and TV network? Smart minds can figure out. 

Ah yes, the interest in college soccer is rather comparable to BCS football….

I dunno ----- the STL Sports Commission apparently wants to bring sports TO St. Louis.  Saint Louis University is already there.  I don't think Chaifetz Arena is in the STL Sports Commission confines and purview.  Is it?  What do they have as events so far ---- the CITI Shamrock Classic, Arch Madness, NCAA DII women's golf championship, NASCAR, Indy Car race, Mizzou/Memphis football game, then back to Arch Madness.   Why pay the guys already here?  

Maybe .... if you had a 'Classic' at Enterprise Center and one of the teams was SLU?  Can't see the business side here but open to an education

Why doesn’t the Commision hold a BB Classic like the Charleston and Myrtle Beach tourneys? 8 teams in a true tourney style. Look at the potential teams; 1 Team from B10, Beast, SEC, B12, AAC, MVC, A10, MWC. Easy travel for fans of those schools.  

In the CHS tournament they usually pick teams from the same conferences except B10,  MVC and MWC. Instead they usually bring in teams from the ACC, Colonial, and Big South.  All teams fans can easily travel to Charleston. Having gone to a few of these games I can tell you they are well attended and the City gets a nice tourist boost. 

18 hours ago, Adman said:

I'm thinking you put up billboards/internet/PD ads with players pics to promote ticket sales, and the players get compensated. 

Are the SLU players getting $$ from the signs up on Chaifetz or around town?  That would be the same thing. 

CBFan likes this

12 hours ago, slu72 said:

Why doesn’t the Commision hold a BB Classic like the Charleston and Myrtle Beach tourneys? 8 teams in a true tourney style. Look at the potential teams; 1 Team from B10, Beast, SEC, B12, AAC, MVC, A10, MWC. Easy travel for fans of those schools.  

In the CHS tournament they usually pick teams from the same conferences except B10,  MVC and MWC. Instead they usually bring in teams from the ACC, Colonial, and Big South.  All teams fans can easily travel to Charleston. Having gone to a few of these games I can tell you they are well attended and the City gets a nice tourist boost. 

nm

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

if only it was that easy.  The majority of NCAA D1 teams are annually in MTE's or early season tourney's.  Here is the list of leagues that are 100% booked for this coming season.   You would need something substantial (like money or prestige) to jump into this MTE fray and convince teams from the 8 leagues you list to participate.  Fun to think about but probably not going to happen any time soon.

Completely Booked: American, ACC, Atlantic 10, Big 12, Big East, Big Sky, Big Ten, Big West, Conference USA, Horizon, Independents, Mid-American, Missouri Valley, Mountain West, Ohio Valley, Pac-12, Southern, SEC, Southland, Sun Belt, West Coast, WAC