Coach on the Radio

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

You really don’t think he’d leave for Kentucky?  Won’t happen so not really worth arguing about, but I’m pretty sure he’d go to Kentucky. That’s really the only job I’m almost certain he’d take if offered. 

Interesting question.  If Coach Ford were offered the Kentucky job, that would mean he's built us up into Gonzaga Midwest.  He would have spent more time as an adult in St. Louis than he has any other city.  He would be one of the most beloved figures in St. Louis sports history.  I guess you could leave that situation, but why?

willie likes this

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Interesting question.  If Coach Ford were offered the Kentucky job, that would mean he's built us up into Gonzaga Midwest.  He would have spent more time as an adult in St. Louis than he has any other city.  He would be one of the most beloved figures in St. Louis sports history.  I guess you could leave that situation, but why?

Ask Albert :(

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Why did Spoon go to UNLV?

On 10/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, Gremio14 said:

Ramey was 100% committed to SLU.  He initiated the dialogue.  Only one stipulation:  He had to play the point.  Yuri decided to return. Ramey said “adios.”      This is not.a secret.  SLU staff talks about it openly now.   The larger concern is Yuri still does not have a lucrative NIL deal.

-can you expand on this? especially if Tenn was giving $200,000 why turn that down for nothing or not much?

4 hours ago, willie said:

Don't take this as a slam on Travis ,because it's not but why would Kentucky want a Travis Ford? What in his resume suggest that one of the top programs in the country would come calling? 

I agree with you but a trip to the Elite Eight would bring offers. Witness Holloway from St Peters.  One night under the bright lights and he was poached. 

5 hours ago, willie said:

Don't take this as a slam on Travis ,because it's not but why would Kentucky want a Travis Ford? What in his resume suggest that one of the top programs in the country would come calling? 

totally agree.   he needs to actually get deep in post season or he isnt going anywhere by his choice.  

5 hours ago, willie said:

It was meant to be a hypothetical situation if Travis were able to turn us into a perennial NCAA team with a couple 2nd weekend tourney runs.   Obviously they aren’t replacing Calipari with Ford now. 

I don’t think it’s unreasonable that if Travis has sustained success here and elevates the program to a perennial top 25 team, that Kentucky could view him as a potential replacement for Cal should they ever need one. 

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-can you expand on this? especially if Tenn was giving $200,000 why turn that down for nothing or not much?

total conjecture i have nothing to back this up, but i would guess tennessee quit (or was told to quit or else) recruiting yuri.   if yuri was out of the nit game for discussions with tennessee, that seems a little early for that state dont you think?  i.e. somehow the ncaa found out and then had a "discussion" with mr barnes.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sports on a Sunday Morning, 12/4, Coach Ford with Tom Ackerman  (Not much new.)

Coach felt Okoro had some good moments, including the two hand jam put-back. 

SIU had been winning with defense, and our defense had been outperforming our offense.  Thought the game would be low scoring.  Both team offenses were playing really well.  Thought our offense efficiency was as good as it has been for first 30 minutes.  Didn't like SIU's three's.

Collins' dishing out dimes.  Special passer, on time, on target.  Assists takes two people.  Player needs to make the shot, make the cut, make the screen.  Praise for the guys on the other end of the pass.  They are running harder, screening harder than before, making the shot.

Perkins on the bench a lot, particularly after his third foul.  Three offensive fouls.  It was as much as Thatch playing very well than Perkins not performing.  Game became defensive with 10 to go, so Thatch needed to be in there.  Needed Thatch out there for his D.

Iona coming up, with Pitino on the bench.  Last game came down to a tip-in.  It was a very physical game last year and will be this year.  They are a big team, having added some good transfers.  They will press and trap for 40 minutes.  Boise State beat Texas A&M soundly at TAM yesterday.  Drake maybe the oldest and most experienced team in the nation.

With the Woman's team winning over a good Illinois State team, that made it a sweep at Chaifetz for the Billikens yesterday.

Fraz likes this

You need to remember everything any coach says is said with a purpose.

Is he saying that about the defense to build confidence?

Is he saying that to motivate the offense? 

Did the Bills execute really well something that was emphasized in practice? 

We won’t ever know for sure.

14 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Teams are shooting 39% from the field and 31% from 3. 

Providence 35%
SIUC 40% with 1 guy who was shooting 30% on the year going off

Everyone else under 32% many under 30%. 

Reality check

When you are fouling 3 point shooters, as we seem to nearly every game this year, you are not guarding the 3 well.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this