TV for this season

slu72

9 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

People have shoot entire movies using iphones. A 15-30 second commercial wouldn’t be too hard to do

You're oversimplifying again. Were the movies shot using iPhones? Yes. They were also using thousands of dollars in lens, lighting, and sound equipment to supplement that iPhone. Not to mention they were made by great directors and cinematographers.

Actually you know what? I don't even know what you're suggesting here. Are you wanting SLU to shoot commercials? Are you telling 2 Men how they should spend their marketing budget and why don't they just shoot a commercial? You're all over the place here. Who gives a sh!t if there's no commercials. Again what are you asking of SLU here? Clearly SLU has decided that it's not worth the time/$$$/effort to find companies to advertise on their NON-REV sports.

billiken_roy likes this

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Clearly SLU has decided that it's not worth the time/$$$/effort to find companies to advertise on their NON-REV sports.

couldnt agree more.   heck if they wont spend on the revenue sports, what would make anyone believe they would spend on the nonrevenue sports?

What I’m really asking is if they are leaving money on the table by not trying to recoup some of the expense. Could you get all of what it cost SLU back? No, but even if you could get 5-10% of the money spent back on the cost of airing non-revenue sports, it’s worth doing. No business in the world would turn down a way the reduce expenses by even 1% in a part of their budget if they could find a way to do it. The fact that dead air is playing is an indication to me that you could fill it, because if ESPN controlled that air time it would be filled with promotions - “Coming soon on ESPN 8 - THE OCHO - the American Dodgeball Association of America Finals live from Las Vegas!” Or something like that. Again, you’re not going to recoup all the expenses with this, but not looking at it seriously is the same as saying we always have to pay the electric bill, so there’s no point in turning of lights or adjusting the thermostat.

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

What I’m really asking is if they are leaving money on the table by not trying to recoup some of the expense. Could you get all of what it cost SLU back? No, but even if you could get 5-10% of the money spent back on the cost of airing non-revenue sports, it’s worth doing. No business in the world would turn down a way the reduce expenses by even 1% in a part of their budget if they could find a way to do it. The fact that dead air is playing is an indication to me that you could fill it, because if ESPN controlled that air time it would be filled with promotions - “Coming soon on ESPN 8 - THE OCHO - the American Dodgeball Association of America Finals live from Las Vegas!” Or something like that. Again, you’re not going to recoup all the expenses with this, but not looking at it seriously is the same as saying we always have to pay the electric bill, so there’s no point in turning of lights or adjusting the thermostat.

You're assuming here.

And now that I'm actually thinking about it, this is probably a job that Learfield is in charge of.

JMM28 likes this

If SLU's agreement is similar to most schools, Learfield is in charge of the commercials.

It is somewhat surprising they don't just add the non-rev sport spots in as 'added value' to other clients, but maybe there is more work to that at SLU than other places. 

I signed up for ESPN+ when I saw a fair amount of St. Louis sports were carried. I was pleased when the SLU, Blues, and Cardinal games show up on their schedule I also get the St. Louis broadcasters. ESPN is hooked in with the NHL so many of the Blues games were on a fairly regular basis. Hoping the same happens this season for Both SLU and the Blues. The community in Florida I live in switched cable companies last month from Spectrum to Hotwire. The Hotwire folks assured me that next year we can get MLB and choose to go with Cardinal games. 

On 10/5/2022 at 9:11 PM, billikenfan05 said:

You're very much oversimplifying and downplaying what it takes to produce a commercial and you don't want your commercial to look like it belongs on public access.

On the contrary I think you're overcomplicating. The type of "commercial" that could be shot with a tripod and an iPhone is very much on par with the quality of broadcast that's aired on ESPN+ and would unarguably be worth the effort compared to having dead air time. They could literally air the Fred Thatch social marketing video and all the SLU fans watching the broadcast would be thrilled about it, especially the ones who didn't first see it on social media...which could be many. 

And then again Lord E is right, it's not thousands of dollars more to produce a much higher quality video you can literally do it with my iPhone 13 Pro. We're talking about ESPN+, a low-production ad would not be bad optics and would undoubtedly have enough marketing value to justify the low cost and effort. 

On 10/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, Bills By 40 said:

On the contrary I think you're overcomplicating. The type of "commercial" that could be shot with a tripod and an iPhone is very much on par with the quality of broadcast that's aired on ESPN+ and would unarguably be worth the effort compared to having dead air time. They could literally air the Fred Thatch social marketing video and all the SLU fans watching the broadcast would be thrilled about it, especially the ones who didn't first see it on social media...which could be many. 

And then again Lord E is right, it's not thousands of dollars more to produce a much higher quality video you can literally do it with my iPhone 13 Pro. We're talking about ESPN+, a low-production ad would not be bad optics and would undoubtedly have enough marketing value to justify the low cost and effort. 

What are you talking about? Who are you expecting to pay for the air time? SLU isn't just going to give away commercial airtime even when it's not priority. It's not just a matter of a handshake agreement. 2 Men has to WANT to spend the money on this airtime. There are contracts to write up, even with the podcast there was a contract written up with 2 Men as I'm sure there was with Fred.

This whole concept of "how easy it is" to shoot a video is hilarious. Everyone thinks it's easy when they haven't done it.

cgeldmacher likes this