TV for this season

slu72

Schedule from slubillikens.com has a lot of blanks for TV. Some questions: 

1.) Do we have a Bally’s deal this year?

2.) If we do, will Bally’s broadcasts be shown on ESPN+ as well?  I believe they did last year. 

Thanks for any info. 

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

2.) If we do, will Bally’s broadcasts be shown on ESPN+ as well?  I believe they did last year. 

Thanks for any info. 

YES. If this ever changes, you'll know before you have to ask.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Thanks for any info. 

Danny Mac has hyped the broadcasts with Highmark during baseball games. 

I expect every game to be on something somewhere from the ESNP networks, to  CBS SN, to the old MBC SN, to Stadium, and to all others.  I even expect the UMS:L game to be on somewhere.

Davis likes this

Out of Towner here,Don't know what tv service you have , we have Direct TV , and add Sports Pack for the season.. It is like $12 99 a month( last year they were running a promotion, 3 months free) You get all the Bally Sports Channels, think it is like 22 total, maybe a couple of Comcast and Root ... 

With the Blues games, the live ones are blacked out, but Blues Live( which comes on after the game,) if the game goes over , you can watch the end of it. . The repeat of the Blues game comes on say at Midnight, they show it 

pretty much the pro games are all blacked out 

We had Dish , and they had a version too.

I just revisited the Bally site and I think I can get the MW region after all with a subscription. However, I also think Bally feeds ESPN+. For example if St. Joes is playing at SLU, which is aired by Bally, Bally will provide ESPN+ the feed. I think. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I just revisited the Bally site and I think I can get the MW region after all with a subscription. However, I also think Bally feeds ESPN+. For example if St. Joes is playing at SLU, which is aired by Bally, Bally will provide ESPN+ the feed. I think. 

about a month ago i called direct tv to try to get the bally southeast channel added and willing to pay.   the direct tv rep indicated i would get all the bally stations if i upgraded to the sports pack.   i was thrilled thinking i would finally be able to view all the braves games without having to pay the overpriced MLB price tag for games i couldnt care less about.   i was also told i would then get all kinds of college basketball come this winter.   so i pulled the plug.   3 hours later direct TV told he they could not give me the specific channel i wanted due to blackout rules and i was refunded the cost of the sports pack.   

not saying that would be the case for anything not major league baseball but just saying adding sports pack to direct tv didnt work for me to get any out of market bally stations. 

almaman likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

B’roy, I could be wrong. Yesterday, I went on Bally’s and all they offered was SEast. I couldn’t even bring up the MW region. Today I was able to. We’ll find out soon enough. 

is your provider direct tv?   

19 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I expect every game to be on something somewhere from the ESNP networks, to  CBS SN, to the old MBC SN, to Stadium, and to all others.  I even expect the UMS:L game to be on somewhere.

I don't expect the UMSL game to be broadcast anywhere.  The exhibition games last year were not broadcast.  Going back several years, I can't find an exhibition game that was.

I could dig up my post from last year, but I believe I did some research & only Blue Bloods typically have a broadcast of exhibition games.

50 minutes ago, slu72 said:

ESPN+ broadcast a scrimmage back in August. 

ESPN+ didn't broadcast it. SLU broadcast a scrimmage on the platform of ESPN+. A10 has a contract with ESPN+ as the streaming platform for A10 Sports. Don't think about ESPN+ as a channel. It's an avenue for which schools to broadcast games online.

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

ESPN+ didn't broadcast it. SLU broadcast a scrimmage on the platform of ESPN+. A10 has a contract with ESPN+ as the streaming platform for A10 Sports. Don't think about ESPN+ as a channel. It's an avenue for which schools to broadcast games online.

So does it cost SLU to stream content on ESPN+?  Or do they get money from ESPN+ (A cut of what the conference gets?). If they get paid by ESPN+ it seems like ESPN+ would want to limit what gets put on there.  It looks like the colleges each supply the content and absorb the cost of producing the content that goes on ESPN+, do they also sell the advertising? Looks like on the non-revenue sports there isn’t much advertising shown. Just curious how it works.

16 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

So does it cost SLU to stream content on ESPN+?  Or do they get money from ESPN+ (A cut of what the conference gets?). If they get paid by ESPN+ it seems like ESPN+ would want to limit what gets put on there.  It looks like the colleges each supply the content and absorb the cost of producing the content that goes on ESPN+, do they also sell the advertising? Looks like on the non-revenue sports there isn’t much advertising shown. Just curious how it works.

I certainly know SLU isn't getting any money from ESPN+ or Bally and I believe SLU is paying Bally to broadcast games. I don't know which way money is changing hands between A10 and ESPN+ but I would imagine A10 is paying.

All A10 members got 10k from the conference to make technical upgrades to their ESPN+ broadcasts.

They can sell ads. Just because you can or do sell something doesn't mean anyone is buying.

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I certainly know SLU isn't getting any money from ESPN+ or Bally and I believe SLU is paying Bally to broadcast games. I don't know which way money is changing hands between A10 and ESPN+ but I would imagine A10 is paying.

All A10 members got 10k from the conference to make technical upgrades to their ESPN+ broadcasts.

They can sell ads. Just because you can or do sell something doesn't mean anyone is buying.

Thanks.  The non-revenue sports look like they don’t generate any income, the bulk of the ads are either the A10 itself, or the school promoting themselves, so that makes sense. 

Seems like most times, the ESPN+ feed goes to a scroll saying "Commercial Break In Progress"  and doesn't show the ad at all.  Must be something in the television/streaming contract.  

Wasn't the Rockhurst game on ESPN+ last year?  I seem to recall seeing the Perkins ACL injury live.

Two Men and a Garden got Fred Thatch to post a video on social media on his phone, so there’s your commercial. Just have to get it played where they now play dead air. SLU gets nothing for that now, so any money they get from selling that is more than they have now. Advertising on the cheap. 

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

Two Men and a Garden got Fred Thatch to post a video on social media on his phone, so there’s your commercial. Just have to get it played where they now play dead air. SLU gets nothing for that now, so any money they get from selling that is more than they have now. Advertising on the cheap. 

There's a massive difference between the type of content you use for social marketing and a television commercial. You're very much oversimplifying and downplaying what it takes to produce a commercial and you don't want your commercial to look like it belongs on public access.