NIL News

Taj79

Big news here in SoCenPA as Penn State combines its collective realm:

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/penn-state-collective-success-with-honor-launches-groundbreaking-nil-model-for-businesses/

It was the top news story on sports last night and I found it interesting that the spokespersons were quick to point out that it covers all PSU athletes in all 31 sports.  Video clips deftly avoided the PSU football program and focused on baseball, women's field hockey, women's volleyball and the always-underwhelming men's basketball program.  As a resident son of Pennsyltuckey, having taken a sabbatical from 1975-89, I can't tell you the name of any PSU athlete not associated with football.  Maybe Dan Gable ---- whoops, he was an Iowa boy.  So never mind.  Not a one.  

Living here, I have yet to see a single ad ---- television, internet, billboard, etc., hawking products with Penn State players names, images and likenesses.  I wouldn't know who they were anyway.  Matter of fact, the only athlete I see on any ads up here is Justin Tucker ..... the kicker for the Baltimore Ravens.  We are only 15 miles from the Mason/Dixon line.  Even local hero Micah Parsons isn't seen at all.  

This kid wants $13 million.  The next kid will of course try to top that.  It's like pro sports ---- paying guys like Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, DeShawn Watson, Trey Turner, Bryce Harper and so on.  Yet, none of those guys have won a damn thing.  Did Turner win a World Series?  Maybe.  Sure, an MVP or two but not the big prizes.  Heck, the knock on Aaron Rodgers is despite one-two-three MVPs, he's won one Super Bowl.  Just one.  

I'm with you Pelican.  And if you get a $13 million NIL deal, and the money is in the bank, what do you have to play for?  I guess you can say "my family is set for life."  Great, all goals accomplished at 18.  Again, I don't mind kids making money but let's be real here.  

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Big news here in SoCenPA as Penn State combines its collective realm:

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/penn-state-collective-success-with-honor-launches-groundbreaking-nil-model-for-businesses/

It was the top news story on sports last night and I found it interesting that the spokespersons were quick to point out that it covers all PSU athletes in all 31 sports.  Video clips deftly avoided the PSU football program and focused on baseball, women's field hockey, women's volleyball and the always-underwhelming men's basketball program.  As a resident son of Pennsyltuckey, having taken a sabbatical from 1975-89, I can't tell you the name of any PSU athlete not associated with football.  Maybe Dan Gable ---- whoops, he was an Iowa boy.  So never mind.  Not a one.  

Living here, I have yet to see a single ad ---- television, internet, billboard, etc., hawking products with Penn State players names, images and likenesses.  I wouldn't know who they were anyway.  Matter of fact, the only athlete I see on any ads up here is Justin Tucker ..... the kicker for the Baltimore Ravens.  We are only 15 miles from the Mason/Dixon line.  Even local hero Micah Parsons isn't seen at all.  

This kid wants $13 million.  The next kid will of course try to top that.  It's like pro sports ---- paying guys like Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, DeShawn Watson, Trey Turner, Bryce Harper and so on.  Yet, none of those guys have won a damn thing.  Did Turner win a World Series?  Maybe.  Sure, an MVP or two but not the big prizes.  Heck, the knock on Aaron Rodgers is despite one-two-three MVPs, he's won one Super Bowl.  Just one.  

I'm with you Pelican.  And if you get a $13 million NIL deal, and the money is in the bank, what do you have to play for?  I guess you can say "my family is set for life."  Great, all goals accomplished at 18.  Again, I don't mind kids making money but let's be real here.  

Also, there is zero incentive to be loyal to anyone.  You could have a kid sign a $15 million NIL deal, cash the check, and then announce he's transferring.  Since its, technically, not supposed to be "pay for play," he would get away with it.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Good article. The result of NIL is a terrible over-correction. But the NCAA is to blame for not being proactive years ago. I think if they had tried to develop some kind of system that could have helped athletes earn some spending money (a reasonable amount) especially athletes that have legit financial needs, I don't think you would have seen such a strong push for NIL. Now the genie is out of the bottle.

nothing good for college sports will come out of this long term.  it will be the ruination of college sports

AGB91 and Billiken Rich like this

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I skimmed the article but I agree with others that this could be the ruination of college sports. I await the attempt to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

I’m afraid there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube. Not sure what the new stable model for college sports is.