NIL News

Taj79

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Musk isn’t bankrolling a collective. The people that will have the biggest impact on collectives are the the people giving $300-$5,000 a year to a collective.  Those people aren’t going to stop giving because their 401k took a hit this year.   Collectives change the game when it comes to bankrolling NIL.  It doesn’t mean whales can’t have an impact, but it does give a program’s NIL protections from the whims of big donors.

You may all be right and I may be wrong, however, we are all expressing our opinions. Mine is a lot more negative than many of the others and that is fine. Not one of us knows what is going to happen. This will be made clear in due time. There may be a lot of money available for NILs or not. I think not, and I may indeed be wrong about it.

21 hours ago, Slowry said:

If people are putting large sums into NIL you can guarantee they know their position.  

This statement is absolutely correct. Those that are aware of their financial position will NOT put large (or any) sums of money into NILs. Those that are still dreaming about their wealth will have a rough awakening sooner or later, it may take some time but reality will get through to them eventually. For those financially unaware souls, placing lots of money into NILs may speed up their awakening to the real status of their financial situation. And no, I am not talking about the Elon Musks of this world, those will have enough money to do as they please.

The proof will be shown when the time to stop talking and start throwing money into NIL financing comes. Just wait until March as I said above. The big state schools will probably have ample NIL money, the smaller private schools probably will not, at least in my opinion. 

You might want to check the statements of Kristalina Gregorieva, the head of the IMF, regarding the 2023 outlook for the world's economy. This is the top news in Bloomberg.com this morning.

46 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This statement is absolutely correct. Those that are aware of their financial position will NOT put large (or any) sums of money into NILs. Those that are still dreaming about their wealth will have a rough awakening sooner or later, it may take some time but reality will get through to them eventually. For those financially unaware souls, placing lots of money into NILs may speed up their awakening to the real status of their financial situation. And no, I am not talking about the Elon Musks of this world, those will have enough money to do as they please.

The proof will be shown when the time to stop talking and start throwing money into NIL financing comes. Just wait until March as I said above. The big state schools will probably have ample NIL money, the smaller private schools probably will not, at least in my opinion. 

You might want to check the statements of Kristalina Gregorieva, the head of the IMF, regarding the 2023 outlook for the world's economy. This is the top news in Bloomberg.com this morning.

It has been my experience that people spend money on what they want even if they can't afford it.  I know this makes no sense but it happens all the time.

Old guy likes this

In case anyone was wondering why the NCAA selected a politician to be President, directly quoted from the report from the Transformation Committee that just dropped:

The contents of this report represent the deliberations, evaluations, and actions on some of the biggest challenges facing Division I athletics. In our time, we have made great strides in achieving that charge. However, many issues remain unaddressed.
In the vast majority of those cases – as it pertains to issues such as name, image & likeness standards, the employment status of student-athletes, and the unique interests of student- athletes in the highest revenue-generating athletic programs – this stems from legal and other uncertainties. The NCAA is prepared and eager to engage on these issues. There’s no question that finding fair, sustainable, and equitable resolutions to each issue will be essential to Division I’s future. We simply need a clear, stable framework under which to address them.
Congress is the only entity that can grant that stability. Since the next phase of NCAA transformation will hinge on these issues, the NCAA has initiated and established a Board of Governors Subcommittee on Congressional Engagement. They will now take responsibility for the advancement of the unfinished pieces of the Transformation Committee’s work where the NCAA currently lacks the ability to self-impose changes on its own. The Subcommittee will also lead the NCAA’s strategy for engaging, motivating, and collaborating with Congress over the coming year.

-the NCAA is trying to make itself go away, they might want to be careful as it might happen leading to where will they get the money to keep the lights on in those buildings in Indy? what a complete deriliction of duty

-goes to the old question, what organization is more inept/corrupt? FIFA, IOC or NCAA?

The first guy Umass signed was Gapare.  And they paid him in New Zealand before he came to the US and fell under US rules.  I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds more like pay-for-play than any name, image and likeness deal.  'Here's 200,000 American --- come play for us.'

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The first guy Umass signed was Gapare.  And they paid him in New Zealand before he came to the US and fell under US rules.  I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds more like pay-for-play than any name, image and likeness deal.  'Here's 200,000 American --- come play for us.'

It is about being on a student visa from the US government. Nothing to do with NCAA rules. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35469311/reports-florida-qb-commit-asks-nil-deal-falls-apart

This is unreal.  A 5* QB asks out of his schollie with Florida, as his $13 MILLION NIL deal apparently fell through.   Let's assume this was to be over 4 years, although that has not been confirmed. 

What can a Freshman QB do in Gainesville FL to merit $13 Million?  That's more than most NFL players make over 4 years.

Now, he is open for new NIL offers.  Where does the bidding start?

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35469311/reports-florida-qb-commit-asks-nil-deal-falls-apart

This is unreal.  A 5* QB asks out of his schollie with Florida, as his $13 MILLION NIL deal apparently fell through.   Let's assume this was to be over 4 years, although that has not been confirmed. 

What can a Freshman QB do in Gainesville FL to merit $13 Million?  That's more than most NFL players make over 4 years.

I’m sure someone will promise him more, whether or not that happens who can say? If Florida couldn’t come up with that much in real dollars, who else will?  Someone may promise him more, but again, what else can he do if the money isn’t there but leave?

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I don't care how many stars you have, paying an unproven high school kid this is lunacy.  And again, where were his name, image and likeness being used?  

Yeah, that's insane. If that's an example of where this is headed, it will ruin college sports. Or at least, I know I'll be done with it.

BigMouthBilliken likes this

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

These aren’t amateurs anymore