NIL News

Taj79

14 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Taj, the whole issue of NILs assumes an economy with abundant money which retains its value. This makes it possible to pay large amounts to, at least, a few  players per team. Money may become scarce or less abundant than it has been, or conversely it may become valueless. Both of these situations have actually happened in countries like Germany, Argentina, Zimbabwe. If either of these two opposite outcomes occurs with the USD in the not very distant future, the NILs system cannot work as predicted.

Kshoe, I have no doubt you will contribute to such a collective, and I have no doubt that you know others that will do so as well. But this is here and now. How long your contributions, as well as the other donor's, may be maintained depends upon what happens to the availability and value of the USD.

I'm sure Chairman Powell would be interested in your thoughts on monetary policy.  

willie likes this

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I'm sure Chairman Powell would be interested in your thoughts on monetary policy.  

I am just commenting on what I see, I have no control upon it. Powell, on the other hand, is the one currently leading us down the tubes. To be realistic he is in a very tough situation, he either continues tightening and causes a major crash, or he opens up and fosters hyperinflation. Damned if you do damned if you don't. I am positive that Powell is aware about the current situation, and his lack of viable options to control it.

In my prior post I gave Germany, Argentina, and Zimbabwe as examples. These were all examples by countries going through hyperinflation. The US, under the Hoover administration, decided to go through deflation after the crash of 1929. As a result, the Great Depression lasted longer than it probably should have, and FDR was elected and led the US through 3 terms. A piece of the last term was finished by Truman, plus one term of his own. FDR was one of the great presidents of this country, Hoover certainly wasn't.

I am sure you know this, including the historical bits.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

JMM28's point is a valid one --- retention.  But in order to identify a Yuri or a Javonte, I would think we need to get them in here first.  Would you offer those guys such amounts without demonstrated ability?  And if they have that one year of greatness, can our offer compete with $100k or $200k offers elsewhere.  What woudl you offer a Tremaine Isabell or a Javn Bess vis-s-vis Cart'are Gordon or Jordan Nesbitt.  Which didn't end well anyway.   Again only time will tell.

Javonte and Yuri weren't exactly high level recruits when they came here. I don't know if Javonte had any sort of other offers yet and Yuri was in the "garnering interest" category from higher level programs. When you get those type of guys, you're increasing their $$ every year based on their improvement. 

Any collective should plan to take some L's along the way. There is risk involved. Someone like Carteare may have received a sizable contract from a collective upon coming to SLU. He flames out before the new year and you can't put any clawback based on play or roster status. You could put something about appearances so if a guy is transferring out of the area or goes home, you might be able to hold some money back. 

4 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Javonte and Yuri weren't exactly high level recruits when they came here. I don't know if Javonte had any sort of other offers yet and Yuri was in the "garnering interest" category from higher level programs. When you get those type of guys, you're increasing their $$ every year based on their improvement. 

Any collective should plan to take some L's along the way. There is risk involved. Someone like Carteare may have received a sizable contract from a collective upon coming to SLU. He flames out before the new year and you can't put any clawback based on play or roster status. You could put something about appearances so if a guy is transferring out of the area or goes home, you might be able to hold some money back. 

JMM you are getting right into the core of the problem with NILs, I believe you cannot make NIL contracts with performance requirements.

Question : Who sets the scale ? Who will actually determine who gets what slice of the pie. I assume that legally the coaching staff can't  say who gets what. {I am sure some of that can be done under the table} I understand how an individual donor can control this but what about a collective? 

Hello there kshoe, did I just mention something about Powell taking us down the tubes? Check the charts for today, any of the stock charts or index charts. Please notice the sharp turn down in prices at the time he hiked rates again. And the interesting thing is that if he does not keep on hiking rates we will go to hyperinflation. Check the charts.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Question : Who sets the scale ? Who will actually determine who gets what slice of the pie. I assume that legally the coaching staff can't  say who gets what. {I am sure some of that can be done under the table} I understand how an individual donor can control this but what about a collective? 

The administrators of the collective will determine who gets what and for what services. The coaching staff is not legally allowed to say who get's what. But you know as well as I do that the coaches will have input into what get's paid out.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well if the players had a contract then the next step is to file a suit in civil court.  Seems an easy solution.

The big if here is your IF.  With NIL being in the Wild West stage, who knows what sort of contracts have been signed?  And for those that were signed, did the student athlete have anyone with a legal background review it?  I would bet that the 'corporate lawyers' on the donor side buried enough weasel words to protect their interest.  This might show that a unified system is needed, (or not).

51 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well if the players had a contract then the next step is to file a suit in civil court.  Seems an easy solution.

True.

But, while they are doing that, every current player will be asking “Why am I going to stay here, and risk injury playing in games and practices hard, if the money I was promised isn’t coming?”   Every recruit looking to come to that school, every player in the transfer portal looking for schools to come to, will be asking themselves the question “Why would I want to go to a school if the money other players were promised didn’t get that money?”  Every friend they have and their parents will be asking them the same question. How many players will be interested in coming after that, and how many years after that will the effect of how players think of that school stick around.  And all of it is outside of the schools control, all they can do is beg for other people to fill in the promises. Any NIL set up better make sure they deliver what is promised.

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The big if here is your IF.  With NIL being in the Wild West stage, who knows what sort of contracts have been signed?  And for those that were signed, did the student athlete have anyone with a legal background review it?  I would bet that the 'corporate lawyers' on the donor side buried enough weasel words to protect their interest.  This might show that a unified system is needed, (or not).

This whole NIL business is so disorganized that it has a good chance of becoming a disgrace. Are there contracts?, do the players have lawyers who review the contracts?. We know there are no standardized standards or rules for  NILs nationwide, and filing civil suits Is not a reasonable solution for the players. Civil suits may and do take a fair amount of time to move forward, may cost significant amount of money, and may mean having a player's attorney confronting a legal group with corporate backing. Not a good situation.

22 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

And when these things happen, the school will be blamed, even though it’s the boosters who control the NIL money, not the school

I'm sure the blame will somehow be placed on the NCAA, because whatever is wrong with college sports is always blamed on the easiest target.

45 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm sure the blame will somehow be placed on the NCAA, because whatever is wrong with college sports is always blamed on the easiest target.

They pretty much brought this on themselves.  As a bureaucracy, they rank up there with the IRS, except they never got Capone......  

18 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

True.

But, while they are doing that, every current player will be asking “Why am I going to stay here, and risk injury playing in games and practices hard, if the money I was promised isn’t coming?”   Every recruit looking to come to that school, every player in the transfer portal looking for schools to come to, will be asking themselves the question “Why would I want to go to a school if the money other players were promised didn’t get that money?”  Every friend they have and their parents will be asking them the same question. How many players will be interested in coming after that, and how many years after that will the effect of how players think of that school stick around.  And all of it is outside of the schools control, all they can do is beg for other people to fill in the promises. Any NIL set up better make sure they deliver what is promised.

A laws suit would not preclude you leaving.  The person who is not paying has defaulted on the contract and you have a right to get what you were promised but in the meantime you have to do what is best for your current situation.  For example, you sign a contract with a roofer because your roof is leaking.  He defaults by not repairing the roof, you are not expected to sue the guy for the money you gave him and not have your roof fixed.  The damage that happens to the school whether they were at fault or not will kill their recruiting efforts going forth so I am sure an agreement can be reached.

17 hours ago, Old guy said:

This whole NIL business is so disorganized that it has a good chance of becoming a disgrace. Are there contracts?, do the players have lawyers who review the contracts?. We know there are no standardized standards or rules for  NILs nationwide, and filing civil suits Is not a reasonable solution for the players. Civil suits may and do take a fair amount of time to move forward, may cost significant amount of money, and may mean having a player's attorney confronting a legal group with corporate backing. Not a good situation.

The legal system is not about speed.  Anytime you sign a contract and you have a problem you just have to accept that the matter will be messy and not quick.  A lesson to be learned from all this is when it comes to money you can't trust anyone.

Old guy likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The legal system is not about speed.  Anytime you sign a contract and you have a problem you just have to accept that the matter will be messy and not quick.  A lesson to be learned from all this is when it comes to money you can't trust anyone.

Totally agree more with your post.