NIL News

Taj79

OK SShoe, you have an ample income and are motivated to donate $1000 per year to SLU. However you would prefer to split the amount you give to the Billiken Club in half in order to give the other half to a NIL collective. I would assume the Billiken Club would not like that and you might wind up without a Billiken Club membership. Be what it may, you are willing to pay $500 per year to a collective and this is fine and generous. But tell me, how many people are needed to donate $500 per year to a collective in order to pay NILs high enough to compete against the biggies? To give one player a NIL of $200,000 per year you would need 400 donors paying $500 per year to a collective. And understand clearly that this is the NIL for a single player. How many donors at $500 per year per donor do you need to pay NILs for 2 or 3 star players each year.

I think that these ideas are nice dreams, but not something feasible to do, most certainly not at a time when the economy is not doing well. Just look at the market charts of your favorite securities and tell me you are absolutely confident we have reached the bottom.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

OK SShoe, you have an ample income and are motivated to donate $1000 per year to SLU. However you would prefer to split the amount you give to the Billiken Club in half in order to give the other half to a NIL collective. I would assume the Billiken Club would not like that and you might wind up without a Billiken Club membership.

Ha, ha, ha, ha. 

32 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

$25 a month = $300 per year, season tickets $99 for the year. You are proposing three times that much go to NIL from every season ticket holder. And it would have to be something done every year. Not sure I see it, I see NIL as more a way for really really rich people to buy a championship for their alma mater. They used to call horse racing “the sport of Kings” because only royalty could afford it. I see NIL driving men’s football and basketball to be called “the sport of the Forbes 400”

I don't disagree with you, just pointing out one way to do the math. Pretty sure we are all going to get hit up eventually. For a collective to be successful, it is going to need multiple sources of revenue, large and small. I would also be curious how many season tickets are at the $99 level. I would bet a small %. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Cheeseman, my comment about NILs referred to my opinion, which you or anyone else does not have to share, that the economy is going down the tubes and private money (unless you happen to be Bezos or Gates) is going to get tight. I do not see a growing NIL based system, whatever the players may want, without a flourishing economy. I am not talking about competing in the NIL arena, I am talking about a drought of money being directed into NILs.

Really - I did not think you had an opinion.

51 minutes ago, shempie said:

I don't disagree with you, just pointing out one way to do the math. Pretty sure we are all going to get hit up eventually. For a collective to be successful, it is going to need multiple sources of revenue, large and small. I would also be curious how many season tickets are at the $99 level. I would bet a small %. 

I don’t have that information either, I suspect it is not what SLU would make public. All I can say is that they are continuing to try to sell tickets at that price. Looking at box scores from last year, I’m guessing under 4000 season tickets all told (again, just a guess based on attendance, unless SLU publishes real data on this no way to know). Your idea overall may have merit, but the question is how many season ticket holders will be interested in donating money to this over and above what they are spending on season tickets.  My guess is not many. The real question is, how many season tickets holders pay for their tickets and give more to SLU over and above that. My guess is a lot of them do not, and if they just buy season tickets today, they are not going to put in more money for NIL. I think it’s also reasonable to expect that for most people, every dollar added to a NIL collective is a dollar they won’t spend on something they are spending money on today. Might that mean that NIL dollars will be dollars they will not consider spending when SLU asks for more money? But again, just my thoughts.

The only was to really know the answer is to give it a try and see how many people will actually do it, and see how much money that actually adds up to.

Old guy likes this

23 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

winning drives donations. 

This 100%. In the first few years of NIL, it could be argued that donations will drive the winning, but the fact remains that basketball needs to win in order for some larger money to come in. I think we’re finally on the verge of sustained success, but getting NIL right is required to make it happen. 

Adman and AGB91 like this

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

OK SShoe, you have an ample income and are motivated to donate $1000 per year to SLU. However you would prefer to split the amount you give to the Billiken Club in half in order to give the other half to a NIL collective. I would assume the Billiken Club would not like that and you might wind up without a Billiken Club membership. Be what it may, you are willing to pay $500 per year to a collective and this is fine and generous. But tell me, how many people are needed to donate $500 per year to a collective in order to pay NILs high enough to compete against the biggies? To give one player a NIL of $200,000 per year you would need 400 donors paying $500 per year to a collective. And understand clearly that this is the NIL for a single player. How many donors at $500 per year per donor do you need to pay NILs for 2 or 3 star players each year.

I think that these ideas are nice dreams, but not something feasible to do, most certainly not at a time when the economy is not doing well. Just look at the market charts of your favorite securities and tell me you are absolutely confident we have reached the bottom.

99.9% of guys aren’t getting 6 figure deals. 

A lot of schools will increasingly start diverting dollars to collectives. They will see that suggesting x% go to a collective will provide a good retention for donors and a “rising tide lifts all ships” return on the University side. 

Adman likes this

19 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

99.9% of guys aren’t getting 6 figure deals. 

A lot of schools will increasingly start diverting dollars to collectives. They will see that suggesting x% go to a collective will provide a good retention for donors and a “rising tide lifts all ships” return on the University side. 

But the way a NIL deal is structured, schools by definition can’t decide to divert their money to it. This is money that must come from outside of ticket sales, tv revenue, endowment funds, and money donated to a school for a specific purpose.  While in some cases states have passed laws that allow schools to talk to collectives and issue some suggestions on which players to give NIL money to, anyone can give whatever money they want to anyone they want. 

Let's [lay budget.  What is a reasonable starting point for a 13 scholarship men's basketball team?  I have no idea so let's say $10k per man equaling $130k per year.  Parse trhat out to today's current roster.  No one is getting $200k because it's not in the budget.  You going to give $20k to Yuri?  And Perkins?  And Okoro?  That's almost ha;lf the budget.  Do you give nothing to unproven players like Thames, Kramer, Cisse and even Parker?  I suspect there would have to be some sort of sliding wage scale but how do you develop such?  What would a four-star, overhyped guy like Carter or Nesbitt command?  

My daughter dated a soccer player at NC State.  In addition to his scholarship, he claimed he got a $3k per month stipend from the school for living expenses.  Is that possible?  Not advocating just questioning.

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Let's [lay budget.  What is a reasonable starting point for a 13 scholarship men's basketball team?  I have no idea so let's say $10k per man equaling $130k per year.  Parse trhat out to today's current roster.  No one is getting $200k because it's not in the budget.  You going to give $20k to Yuri?  And Perkins?  And Okoro?  That's almost ha;lf the budget.  Do you give nothing to unproven players like Thames, Kramer, Cisse and even Parker?  I suspect there would have to be some sort of sliding wage scale but how do you develop such?  What would a four-star, overhyped guy like Carter or Nesbitt command?  

My daughter dated a soccer player at NC State.  In addition to his scholarship, he claimed he got a $3k per month stipend from the school for living expenses.  Is that possible?  Not advocating just questioning.

Sure it’s possible. Don’t know what the numbers are but our players get a monthly living expense. If you are not living in a dorm it could easily be 3k. 

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I got a wake up call when I went on the Auburn site to get a ticket for the SLU game. $185 for an obstructed view seat and $135 for standing room only, At SLU we’re selling tickets for $15. Point being, when u are a P5 school you have a big advantage 

That really surprises me. It’s not like Auburn is some basketball Blue blood. 
I would expect that at the Dukes, Kentuckys, UNC, and even the Indianas and UCLAs of the world.

just out of curiosity I checked Texas tickets. No single games but you can get season tickets for 500 bucks. 
I also checked Michigan. You can get Michigan vs Virginia tickets in Ann Arbor for 20 bucks.You can get a 5 game plan at Alabama for 100 bucks.

I guess paying for all of Bruce Pearls illegal operations add up quick.

10 hours ago, dlarry said:

That really surprises me. It’s not like Auburn is some basketball Blue blood. 
I would expect that at the Dukes, Kentuckys, UNC, and even the Indianas and UCLAs of the world.

just out of curiosity I checked Texas tickets. No single games but you can get season tickets for 500 bucks. 
I also checked Michigan. You can get Michigan vs Virginia tickets in Ann Arbor for 20 bucks.You can get a 5 game plan at Alabama for 100 bucks.

I guess paying for all of Bruce Pearls illegal operations add up quick.

I got the price off stub hub. Maybe I should check tha Auburn site? 

@willie --- so this is true then.  Our boy lived in athlete housing and still got the $3k per month.  This was a single, male athlete living with two or three other guys.  

The current federal poverty level is an individual making #1133/month for a total of just under $14k a year.  At $3k a month, that is almost three times the level cited here.  I know there are sliding scales and the like but with your room, board, books, and incidentals all paid for, I would think $3k/month is living high on the hog.  Just saying.

billiken_roy likes this

17 hours ago, Taj79 said:

For perspective, I know a guy who was a walk on for Spoon in the early 90's (about 30 years ago).  Back then, they were given $75 per day, any time they were on the road, to spend on food.  If they left for the trip at 11:00 p.m., stayed 2 days, then arrived back the following morning (meaning gone over parts of 4 days), they were given $300 for what was essentially two days.  They guys used to buy $2.00 McDonald meals and donettes from gas stations so that they could pocket most of the money until they got back to SLU where they got free dorm food.  Road trips were a way to make money.

I'm sure 30 years later, $3000 per month in expenses is probably not that much of a stretch if a guy doesn't live in campus housing.

24 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

They guys used to buy $2.00 McDonald meals and donettes from gas stations so that they could pocket most of the money until they got back to SLU where they got free dorm food.  Road trips were a way to make money.

My first full time job as an intern paid a glorious total of $8000 per year, this was 1971-72. We had free laundry for our white coats and nothing else. I lived on that, paid rent, food, utilities, gas, social life, and taxes, and still got some tax return money back.  I remember finding monthly gas bills of 30 some dollars from the time when I was a med student and had clinical rotations all over the city. Times have changed, that is for sure.

5 hours ago, Old guy said:

My first full time job as an intern paid a glorious total of $8000 per year, this was 1971-72. We had free laundry for our white coats and nothing else. I lived on that, paid rent, food, utilities, gas, social life, and taxes, and still got some tax return money back.  I remember finding monthly gas bills of 30 some dollars from the time when I was a med student and had clinical rotations all over the city. Times have changed, that is for sure.

In 1971 a brand new Pontiac GTO convertible could be had for $3600..........you were doing alright.....

Old guy and SLU_Lax like this