Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

thetorch

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I dont watch, but does Kendrick Nunn being part of the deal hurt Jgood?

Depends on if they keep Nunn.  Nunn might have been included just to make the deal go through in terms of salaries.  He's on an expiring deal.  They could buy him out and sign Goodwin to a minimum deal.  Goodwin would be the cheaper alternative.

Interesting headline for Goodwin's Wizards.

[He still is with the Go-Go's.  Jordan went 23/7/6 Sunday.  With the NBA trade deadline next week, stay tuned for a roster shuffle.]

Wizards' win in San Antonio ends one of the NBA's strangest losing streaks, which lasted 8,451 days.  Washington hadn't won a game on the road against the Spurs since 1999

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/02/wizards-notes-goodwin-trade-deadline-beal-kuzma.html

Goodwin has hit his 50 "active" game limit as a 2 way player and can't play any more games for the Wizards until they sign him to a standard contract.

As the article explains, it is expected that the Wizards will buy out Will Barton and sign Goodwin sometime soon.  It just sucks that he won't be able to play in the meantime.

what a confliction of emotion for Jordan.  on one hand, it is nice to know the wizards appreciate him, but on the other hand, the wait has to be excruciating for him.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

what a confliction of emotion for Jordan.  on one hand, it is nice to know the wizards appreciate him, but on the other hand, the wait has to be excruciating for him.  

The Wizards are a terribly run franchise.  The situation they've stuck Goodwin in was easily avoidable with some combination of not having Goodwin active for games earlier in the season (especially ones he didn't even play in) and/or opening up a roster spot earlier via a trade or buy out.

I don't follow the NBA that closely, but I think guys signed off 2 way deals will frequently get a 2 year minimum contract that isn't guaranteed for the 2nd year.  In order words, he'd be signed for the minimum the rest of this season and then Wizards would have a team option for next year at the league minimum as well.  JGood probably feels some loyalty to Washington for giving him a chance and I'm sure he likes playing with Beal plus they have some leverage (they control him the rest of the season with the 2 way deal regardless).  That being said I'm kind of hoping he finds a way out of Washington next season & to a team that is run better and has a better history of player development.

19 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

The Wizards are a terribly run franchise.  The situation they've stuck Goodwin in was easily avoidable with some combination of not having Goodwin active for games earlier in the season (especially ones he didn't even play in) and/or opening up a roster spot earlier via a trade or buy out.

I don't follow the NBA that closely, but I think guys signed off 2 way deals will frequently get a 2 year minimum contract that isn't guaranteed for the 2nd year.  In order words, he'd be signed for the minimum the rest of this season and then Wizards would have a team option for next year at the league minimum as well.  JGood probably feels some loyalty to Washington for giving him a chance and I'm sure he likes playing with Beal plus they have some leverage (they control him the rest of the season with the 2 way deal regardless).  That being said I'm kind of hoping he finds a way out of Washington next season & to a team that is run better and has a better history of player development.

Aren’t they out of control with him after this year if they don’t sign him to an NBA contract?  I think they control him and he plays in the G-league the rest of this year if they don’t sign him to the NBA minimum contract, but if he plays out the year he becomes a free agent at the end of the year.

I agree with your opinion on the Wizards management, they are a horribly run franchise.