Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

thetorch

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Let's cue up the Pitbull.  Jordan getting the contract will be the best Billiken news so far this year.

Goodwin and the board's introduction to @WVBilliken's dog Otis have been the only good things about this season.  

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The buyout timetable is going longer than expected.  

I want Goodwin to get his contract but I'd almost rather have him play for any other team in the NBA.  Barton should have been gone days ago.  They may be letting Barton make indirect contact with other teams to ensure he is signed right after he is released.  Sometimes teams do this as a favor to players.  Barton doesn't deserve this treatment and there is a good chance he doesn't get signed anyway.

On 2/14/2023 at 2:15 PM, Lord Elrond said:

Aren’t they out of control with him after this year if they don’t sign him to an NBA contract?  I think they control him and he plays in the G-league the rest of this year if they don’t sign him to the NBA minimum contract, but if he plays out the year he becomes a free agent at the end of the year.

I agree with your opinion on the Wizards management, they are a horribly run franchise.

If Goodwin stays on a 2 way the rest of the year, he's stuck in the G-League and is then a free agent at the end of the season.  He continues to get paid 1/2 the NBA rookie league minimum.

If the Wizards sign him to a standard contract & add him to the roster, he's still a free agent IF the contract is just for the remainder of the season.  IMO this is what would be best for Goodwin, but there isn't a ton of incentive for the Wizards to do that.  The Wizards have some leverage here because Goodwin's pay for the rest of the season will double when he signs a standard minimum contact.  That is why the Wizards may be able to lock him into a longer non-guaranteed contract.  For example, they could try to small time him & only sign him for the rest of the year if he agrees to a club option for next year.

20 hours ago, thetorch said:

The buyout timetable is going longer than expected.  

I want Goodwin to get his contract but I'd almost rather have him play for any other team in the NBA.  Barton should have been gone days ago.  They may be letting Barton make indirect contact with other teams to ensure he is signed right after he is released.  Sometimes teams do this as a favor to players.  Barton doesn't deserve this treatment and there is a good chance he doesn't get signed anyway.

Wizards incompetence here is costing Goodwin a lot of money every day he remains on a 2 way instead of a standard minimum deal.  Maybe they don't care about that, but if I'm Goodwin I'm pretty pissed about it.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Wizards incompetence here is costing Goodwin a lot of money every day he remains on a 2 way instead of a standard minimum deal.  Maybe they don't care about that, but if I'm Goodwin I'm pretty pissed about it.

Goodwin has no leverage at all.  There is no guarantee that another team wants him (not saying he’s not worthy).  

If I’m Goodwin, I’m really nervous right now and ready to sign any piece of paper they put in front of me. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

34 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Goodwin has no leverage at all.  There is no guarantee that another team wants him (not saying he’s not worthy).  

If I’m Goodwin, I’m really nervous right now and ready to sign any piece of paper they put in front of me. 

Don't want to go all Willie Reed an wait for those two in the bush....

My complaint about money in sports is it’s sooo top heavy. A Lebron or Max Scherzer make ridiculous money and teams fight over the salary of the last couple of names on a roster. Baseball is the most restrictive. Until you hit free agency your pay is limited regardless of what on field success you may have. Jordon making 500k or even a million pales in comparison to the stars. Seems to me the max contracts are way to high and the minimums are way to low.  

Yeah, I’m hoping JGood can eventually find his way onto another team. It’s good he’s been able to establish himself with a bottom tier team, but I didn’t realize just how dysfunctional of an organization the Wizards are. Hope this gets resolved soon. 

43 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Just an example of how incompetent the Wizards are they are in discussion with Russell Westbrook on signing him for the rest of the season.

omg.   idiots.   poor jordan.   he needs a new agent. 

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

omg.   idiots.   poor jordan.   he needs a new agent. 

And the trade deadline is past, so you can’t open a roster spot via a trade. Goodwin may find himself playing in the G league the rest of the year. When the year is over and he becomes a free agent, hopefully he will find a better situation

19 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

The Wizards are using the CBA to their advantage against Goodwin. It does seem stacked against him at this point, but the union agreed to the CBA

So what's the deal going forward? Is the Wizards Goodwin custom jersey my mom got me for the holidays going to be obsolete by the time it arrives? (She ordered it 12/20 and I called Monumental Sports and they said it won't arrive until 4/10?!)

23 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

So what's the deal going forward? Is the Wizards Goodwin custom jersey my mom got me for the holidays going to be obsolete by the time it arrives? (She ordered it 12/20 and I called Monumental Sports and they said it won't arrive until 4/10?!)

I believe you get a year after ordering and if they're traded,  you can get it replaced with the new team at no cost.

33 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

I believe you get a year after ordering and if they're traded,  you can get it replaced with the new team at no cost.

This is actually bada$$. I'll take advantage if it happens. Thanks for the info!

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Just an example of how incompetent the Wizards are they are in discussion with Russell Westbrook on signing him for the rest of the season.

The Wizards made it the playoffs last time Russ played for them.  And that was with a roster worse than their current one.  Russ also averaged a triple double that playoff series.

12 hours ago, Coach314 said:

The Wizards made it the playoffs last time Russ played for them.  And that was with a roster worse than their current one.  Russ also averaged a triple double that playoff series.

C'mon Russ has been washed for 3 years.

The Wizards are not going to the playoffs this year unless something changes, but with the passing of the trade deadline they have lost their best chance to improve, while also passing on their best chance to lay a foundation for next year by not getting rid of excess players. Just reinforces my opinion that Wizards management isn’t very good at their job

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The Wizards are not going to the playoffs this year unless something changes, but with the passing of the trade deadline they have lost their best chance to improve, while also passing on their best chance to lay a foundation for next year by not getting rid of excess players. Just reinforces my opinion that Wizards management isn’t very good at their job

They’ll be in the play-in tournament more than likely, for whatever that’s worth. 

18 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Lol.  The Wizards got destroyed by the 76ers 4 games to 1 in a gentleman's sweep in that playoff series.  Russ averaged a triple double, but he shot just 33% from the field and 25% from 3 while turning the ball over 4+ times per game.  He's also 2 years older now.