thetorch

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes.

If you believe this source, he already a qualifying offer for a non-guaranteed second year.  Wizards would have to pick it up.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/washington_wizards/

This is great news! Does qualifying offer to Goodwin and not Schakel mean that Wizards expect Goodwin to be on Wizards to start the season for at least 15 days - so that qualifying offer is needed to keep him a restricted free agent so that Wizards can match any other offer?

1 hour ago, NYBilliken said:

This is great news! Does qualifying offer to Goodwin and not Schakel mean that Wizards expect Goodwin to be on Wizards to start the season for at least 15 days - so that qualifying offer is needed to keep him a restricted free agent so that Wizards can match any other offer?

I think it has more to do with Schackel being on his 2nd 2 way contract with them.  His contract is over at the end of the season.  Goodwin's technically is not. He could technically geta  minimum extension offer after the year and the Wizards could keep his rights.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:06 PM, NYBilliken said:

I wouldn't necessarily connect those two dots. 

Any player on a Two Way cannot be 'poached' by another team.  That can be both good and bad for the player.  Both players are 'on the roster'.  There are 15 guaranteed contracts plus now Goodwin and Schakel on non-guaranteed Two Way's.  Washington has the 11th highest payroll in the NBA, so they likely are watching their player salaries.  Two Ways' don't count against the salary cap.

You dress no more than 13 for a game.  Right now, Kispert is out with a sprained ankle for a couple more weeks, and Avidja has a groin injury and is day to day.  So perhaps the Wiz's would think about dressing Goodwin until Kispert returns.  Or maybe Schakel gets the nod as he is more of a shooting guard.

Two way players are not eligible for the playoffs (as if the Wizards will make it) but that is resolved by simply putting a two way player on a full contract.  

You may remember that Cassius Winston was on a two way with the Wizards last season.  He is playing in Germany.  So his two way didn't lead to much in the NBA.

HdoosierPal, I get it that while someone is under a Two Way contract, they cannot be poached by another team. I also get the fact that the Wizards may keep Goodwin in a Two Way to prevent him from going anywhere else, while keeping the option to terminate the contract any time they decide to do this. This is not a great deal for anyone getting this type of arrangement, or so it seems to me.

My question to you and anyone else is this: can a player under a Two Way contract start approaching other teams to see if there is interest in their part? I do not mean, doing this personally but through an agent, just sending feelers around. This woulld be useful if the Wizards pull the rug from under his feet.

42 minutes ago, Old guy said:

HdoosierPal, I get it that while someone is under a Two Way contract, they cannot be poached by another team. I also get the fact that the Wizards may keep Goodwin in a Two Way to prevent him from going anywhere else, while keeping the option to terminate the contract any time they decide to do this. This is not a great deal for anyone getting this type of arrangement, or so it seems to me.

My question to you and anyone else is this: can a player under a Two Way contract start approaching other teams to see if there is interest in their part? I do not mean, doing this personally but through an agent, just sending feelers around. This woulld be useful if the Wizards pull the rug from under his feet.

A player who signs a two-way contract is ineligible to be traded for 30 days, after which he can be traded. 

22 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I wouldn't necessarily connect those two dots. 

Any player on a Two Way cannot be 'poached' by another team.  That can be both good and bad for the player.  Both players are 'on the roster'.  There are 15 guaranteed contracts plus now Goodwin and Schakel on non-guaranteed Two Way's.  Washington has the 11th highest payroll in the NBA, so they likely are watching their player salaries.  Two Ways' don't count against the salary cap.

You dress no more than 12 for a game.  Right now, Kispert is out with a sprained ankle for a couple more weeks, and Avidja has a groin injury and is day to day.  So perhaps the Wiz's would think about dressing Goodwin until Kispert returns.  Or maybe Schakel gets the nod as he is more of a shooting guard.

Two way players are not eligible for the playoffs (as if the Wizards will make it) but that is resolved by simply putting a two way player on a full contract.  

You may remember that Cassius Winston was on a two way with the Wizards last season.  He is playing in Germany.  So his two way didn't lead to much in the NBA.

Thanks for the info. The change this year is great for Goodwin where the two-way player gets $508K per year, regardless of how much time they spend with the NBA or G League team. Previously the amount of pay depended on how much time the player actually spent with the NBA team.

So even though the player can be cut any time, while they are on contract they earn about $3K per day, or $20K per week, regardless of whether playing that week for Wizards or Go-Go.

It looks like no player can have more than two years on two-way contract with same team, which is why Winston was no longer a contender for Wizards two-way contract.

Stat comparison in G League, Goodwin vs. Winston, from Go-Go last year is interesting. Winston is clearly better shooter (45.5% field goals, 39.4% three pointers, 88.9% free throws) than Goodwin (41.5%, 30.6%, 78.1%). Winston also has the edge in assists, as both players had 5.1 per game, but Winston in 19.7 MPG, Goodwin in 32.4 MPG. Goodwin had 16.0 ppg, Winston 13.4 ppg in those fewer minutes.

Goodwin has the edge in size, rebounding (6.0 per game, including 2.3 offensive reb, vs. 2.9 and 0.4 for Winston), turnovers (1.8 vs. 2.5), steals (1.8 vs. 0.8), and propensity to foul (both at 2.3 fouls per game, with Goodwin playing 60% more minutes.

Wizards gave up on Winston, who I guess added nothing unique at NBA level, and now giving opportunity to Goodwin, a much different type of player. Hopefully he will get in some games and show how he can help them win. 

OT on this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

Jordan Hall from St. Joe has a Two Way contract with the Spurs.

St. Bonnie's Jalen Adaway with the Spurs G affiliate in Austin TX.  

Belleville's EJ Liddell is on a Two Way with the Pelicans.  He is also out for likely most of the year with an ACL reconstruction.  He got hurt in July and signed the Two Way in September.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:06 PM, Old guy said:

This is fine Hoosier, but do you know if the search for a transfer can start on the side of the player, as well as on the side of the other team?

Agents can and do talk all the time.  But there is a fine line between talking and tampering. 

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

Did you have to create it, or are there #7 Goodwin jerseys available for sale somewhere online?

https://www.wizardsfanstore.com/Jordan_Goodwin_Jersey-96

https://www.wizardsteamfanshop.com/Jordan_Goodwin_Jersey-93

https://www.washingtonoutletstore.com/Jordan_Goodwin_Jersey-30

BuiltFordBills likes this

2 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Thanks.  The site I looked at, the e-store at NBA.com, didn't have them.  Guess I didn't dig deep enough.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Agents can and do talk all the time.  But there is a fine line between talking and tampering. 

I am glad to hear this, so J. Good can get a test for how much demand there might be for his services while under a 2 Way contract. This is good.

Will the Wizards tank this season, with the prize being a better shot at Victor Wembanya.  Wemby is being labeled as a once in multiple generation talent. 

For the Wiz (Go Wiz), Hachimura, Porzingis and Kuzma all have outs after this season.  Dumping them at or before the trade deadline could improve the Wiz's chances of winning the lottery.

What does that have to do with Goodwin?  Perhaps more playing time as the team might be more interested in developing potential younger talent than losing with the vets.  Don't know.  Four players on their roster are 30+ years old.  Do you continue running them out on the floor and lose, or do you run the younger squad out and lose?

cgeldmacher likes this