Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

thetorch

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I know there are players in the foreign leagues that get paid salaries which are close to the NBA, but wonder how much the average foreign league salary to US players is. I think Goodwin is not doing badly when compared to the average foreign league salaries.

While everyone likes to gripe about their tax rates in the US, tax rates are much higher in Europe as well.  

53 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I know there are players in the foreign leagues that get paid salaries which are close to the NBA, but wonder how much the average foreign league salary to US players is. I think Goodwin is not doing badly when compared to the average foreign league salaries.

One difference  is the foreign contracts have a lot of benefits. Free apartments ,use of cars ,food etc. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

One difference  is the foreign contracts have a lot of benefits. Free apartments ,use of cars ,food etc. 

That is correct, at least at the UK. I do not know for sure about other countries. One interesting things is that, and I know this as well, the UK's Crown owned channel islands had their own independent taxation and banking systems. High UK corporate and government execs, and this was extended to EU execs, have accounts in these islands and paid a fraction of the taxes in the mainland. This was perfectly legal but not generally available to everybody as far as I know.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:43 AM, thetorch said:

There still aren't many NBA fans on the site so I figured I'd write something up about the Wizards and Goodwin's chances of making the NBA again.

Goodwin signed an exhibit 10 contract with the Washington Wizards.  

What is an Exhibit 10 Contract?  An Exhibit 10 contract is a one year non guaranteed minimum contract which gives an NBA team 2 options.  They can turn the contract into a 2 way contract, or they can release the player but designate him an affiliate player for their G league team.  The player would be then awarded a bonus up to 50k if he stays with the G League affiliate for 60 days.  So an Exhibit 10 contract allows teams to build their G League teams and entice players to stay in the G league with bonus money instead of going overseas for a higher salary.  Salary in the G League is about 26k, so a 50k bonus is pretty lucrative to a player who doesn’t want to go overseas.

What is a 2 Way Contract? Teams can have 2 players on their roster signed to 2 way contracts, and are granted extra roster spots for them, so a team can have 17 roster positions instead of 15.  Player on 2 way contracts receive 75k per year while on the G League roster and can spend up to 45 days a season with an NBA team.  While with the NBA team the player is paid the NBA minimum salary by the day, so if the player spends the max amount with an NBA team they can make around 200k per year.  While not an ideal situation for all athletes this is the next step for players on an Exhibit 10 Contract.

Wizards Roster Composition

PG - Monte Morris (Acquired in Trade)

PG/SG Delon Wright (Free Agent Signee)

PG/SG - Jordan Goodwin (Exhibit 10)

PG/SG - Davion Mintz (Exhibit 10)

PG/SG - Quenton Jackson (Exhibit 10 Contract)

SG - Bradley Beal

SG - Corey Kispert

SG - Johnny Davis (2022 1st Round Pick)

SG - Jordan Schakel (2 Way Contract)

SG/SF - Dani Avdija

SG/SF - Will Barton (Acquired In Trade)

SF - Kyle Kuzma

SF/PF - Rui Hachimura

PF - Isaiah Todd

PF - Anthony Gill

PF/C - Daniel Gafford

C - Kristaps Porzingis

C - Vernon Carey

C - Taj Gibson (Free Agent)

C - Makur Maker (Exhibit 10)

Roster Outlook

The Wizards roster is set with 15 players under contract.  Their big move in the offseason was acquiring Monte Morris & Will Barton from the Denver Nuggets in exchange for Kentavious Caldwell Pope & Ish Smith.  They also signed Delon Wright & Taj Gibson in Free Agency.

The Wizards will be led by a hopeful big 3 of Bradley Beal, Kyle Kuzma & Kristaps Porzingis.  Beal has solidified himself as a top 20 NBA player and perennial All Star.  Kuzma has become a smooth 3 man and Porzingis when healthy can affect the game on both ends with his shooting, passing, and shot blocking.  These are all big IFs, Beal could still be moved, Kuzma has never been consistent and Porzingis is always hurt and has performed poorly when he isn’t the top option on the team.

In the frontcourt the Wizards will look for Rui Hachimura to take a leap as their PF.  They have tried to shore up their interior toughness, defense and rebounding with teh signing of an aging Taj Gibson.  Daniel Gafford provides energy off the bench at the 4 & 5.Isaiah Todd, Vernon Carey & Anthony Gill will be deep options off the bench at the 4 & 5.

In the backcourt Beal will hold down the 2 spot with recent draft picks Corey Kispert & Johnny Davis competing for backup minutes.  Kispert is poised for a breakout season while Davis had a disappointing summer league.  Kispert may see some time at the 3 as well.  At the wing Will Barton will be a nice utility player who can do everything pretty well.  He can play any guard spot and is a solid playmaker.  Dani Avigda had a standout performance in Euro play this summer and is the best perimeter defender on the team.  Kuzma will hold down this position but with all the versatility in the backcourt the Wizards may go small a lot and play him at the 4.  The Wizards have several options at PG.  Monte Morris was the point guard for the Nuggets, though he was always a secondary playmaker to Jokic.  He shoots well and is efficient with few TOs.  It remains to be seen how he operates without the greatest big man passer in history.  Wright will back him up, he was seen as a steal in FA, he’s never played a lot but has good analytics and again doesn’t turn the ball over.  Expect to see Barton play his fair share at the 1 as well.  2 way player Jordan Schakel is another combo guard who can fill in at the PG but is mostly a specialty outside shooter.

The Wizards hope for a playoff berth this season but with their logjam in the perimeter they may make a move to consolidate some of the players.  Kispert, Hachimura, Avdija are possibilities for trades if they underperform or just can’t get into the rotation.  The addition of Morris, Barton, & Wright will bolster their playmaking and lower TOs.  Defense is still a big question mark though.  Wright, Avdija, Gafford are the strongest defenders but they are all buried on the depth chart.  The Wizards top 8 only has Gibson as an elite defender and at his age he can’t anchor a defense.  Rebounding will once again be a problem.  Even Gibson has never been known as a strong rebounder.  

Goodwin’s Fit

Goodwin is in a similar situation as last season.  His skill set brings some things to the table for the Wizards.  If on the roster he would be their strongest defender at the 1 or 2 and maybe the best rebounder on the team as well.  He proved in the G league that he can shoot well enough to keep defenses honest and his athleticism holds up at this level.

His direct competitors for the 2 way contract are

Quenton Jackson - 5th year PG/SG out of Texas A&M.  A high level scorer.  He finishes at the rim and at the line.  Not a great 3 point shooter.  Was a PG on A&M but projects as a combo guard at the next level.  Was a projected late 2nd rounder who fell out of the draft.  Not a star defensively bit more than adequate.  Will be Goodwin’s biggest challenger. At 6’5 he has + size for his position.

Davion Mintz - 6th year PG out of UK by way of Creighton.  Mintz is an all around player with no outsize skills.  His shooting is his best attribute.  He is only an average PG as far as passing and handling goes.  His defense is not NBA level and he was known to float through games without much of a motor.  Looks like G League fodder and not much of a contender to make the team.

Makur Maker - 6’11 big who play for the Sydney Kings after spending his freshman year at Howard mostly injured.  Polished low post moves and a good mid range shooter, he is a traditional big man.  Doesn’t have 3 point range.  Solid rebounder but needs more effort on defense and is not a good shot blocker.  He has the most NBA potential of the 3 Exhibit 10 signees but his skillset and position aren’t in demand around the league.

I think competition will be high for this spot.  Jackson and Maker are real talents and both could fit in on an NBA roster.  Also most teams end up filling one of the 2 way contracts with FAs let go by other teams that they identified in the draft or summer league, although the Wizards have not done much of this in the past.

Several factors line up in Goodwin’s favor.  The Wizards brought him back for a 2nd Exhibit 10 contract.  This does not happen often.  Makes me think the Wizards favor Goodwin in a role on this team.  Goodwin’s skill set continues to fit in with the team more than his competition.  The Wizards love combo guards along with backcourt players who can play guard multiple positions to make up for the poor defense of Kuzma and Beal on the outside.  Goodwin could easily plug in to the role of Morris, Wright or Barton ie a primary ballhandler who can guard all the 3 wing positions.  Goodwin also addresses multiple team needs.  The Wizards still will struggle on the boards, a strength of Goodwin’s and they lack perimeter defenders, really only Wright & Avdija are + defenders on the wing.  The rest of the roster on the outside is really bad defensively.

In conclusion the Wizards spent all of last season evaluating Goodwin at the G League and NBA level.  He proved himself as a high level performer.  Bringing him back on another Exhibit 10 shows they believe he can contribute on the NBA level for them.  He should go into camp as the clear favorite to win a 2 way player contract.

Wizards camp starts September 24th.

It would seem to me that the sales pitch for Jordan is that he is the perfect sub to bring in late in a game that an NBA team is winning.  If an NBA team is up by 10 with two minutes left, or up by 4 with 30 second left, what kind of player do they want on the court?  Then answer is one that is proficient at defense and rebounding.  That's Jordan.  I would equate this idea to a defensive replacement toward the end of a baseball game.  The problem with the Wizards is that they aren't often winning at the end of their games.

billiken_roy likes this

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Most players as good as Goodwin are pulling in 250k-500k overseas. In Europe and Asia most of the salaries are tax free, not taxed in Europe or the US. So Goodwin could make more money but he has a chance to make way more on a minimum nba salary.

Old guy and billiken_roy like this

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

It would seem to me that the sales pitch for Jordan is that he is the perfect sub to bring in late in a game that an NBA team is winning.  If an NBA team is up by 10 with two minutes left, or up by 4 with 30 second left, what kind of player do they want on the court?  Then answer is one that is proficient at defense and rebounding.  That's Jordan.  I would equate this idea to a defensive replacement toward the end of a baseball game.  The problem with the Wizards is that they aren't often winning at the end of their games.

At the end of the game, if there is any doubt in the game result, he will not be on the floor.  He is not going to play above Beal, Deni, Rui, Barton or Kuzma.  

I almost feel like "who is the better practice body" should be a key contributing factor on end of bench players.  Goodwin would give better defensive effort compared to someone like Schackle.  

This is the last year he can be eligible for a 2 way contract right? at least that is what I remember from a previous discussion here.  

someoneelse likes this

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

At the end of the game, if there is any doubt in the game result, he will not be on the floor.  He is not going to play above Beal, Deni, Rui, Barton or Kuzma.  

I almost feel like "who is the better practice body" should be a key contributing factor on end of bench players.  Goodwin would give better defensive effort compared to someone like Schackle.  

This is the last year he can be eligible for a 2 way contract right? at least that is what I remember from a previous discussion here.  

Players with less than 4 years of experience are eligible for 2 way contracts. You can only get a 2 way contract twice. So Goodwin still has two 2 way contracts possible for his career.

12 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Players with less than 4 years of experience are eligible for 2 way contracts. You can only get a 2 way contract twice. So Goodwin still has two 2 way contracts possible for his career.

Also important to note that Goodwin's cup of coffee last year counts as 1 year of experience for a 2 way deal.  Theoretically a guy could play 4 games in 4 different seasons and no longer be eligible for a 2 way deal.

Looks like we won't know a decision on the Wizards 2 way spot much before the stat of the season.

Wizards start preseason play on Saturday.  Tune in at 5 AM, they are playing Golden St in Japan.  Wizards play 2 games against the Warriors in Japan and then have a game against Charlotte & the Knicks.

For reference there are several other teams that also have an open two way spot.  If Goodwin is released one of these teams could sign him to a 2 way instead of him going to the Wizards G League Affiliate.

Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Indiana, Clippers, Portland, & Utah.  Hopefully Goodwin gets some run in the Charlotte game in case they have interest.  He could be going up against an old nemesis in Jalen Crutcher who is on an exhibit 10 contract with the Hornets.

15 hours ago, thetorch said:

Looks like we won't know a decision on the Wizards 2 way spot much before the stat of the season.

Wizards start preseason play on Saturday.  Tune in at 5 AM, they are playing Golden St in Japan.  Wizards play 2 games against the Warriors in Japan and then have a game against Charlotte & the Knicks.

For reference there are several other teams that also have an open two way spot.  If Goodwin is released one of these teams could sign him to a 2 way instead of him going to the Wizards G League Affiliate.

Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Indiana, Clippers, Portland, & Utah.  Hopefully Goodwin gets some run in the Charlotte game in case they have interest.  He could be going up against an old nemesis in Jalen Crutcher who is on an exhibit 10 contract with the Hornets.

Does he have to be released by the Wizards to sign a two way contract with another team, or does he just have to not receive a offer of one by the Wizards by a certain date?  It would seem that he shouldn't be tied to the Wizards if they have yet to commit to him.

44 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Does he have to be released by the Wizards to sign a two way contract with another team, or does he just have to not receive a offer of one by the Wizards by a certain date?  It would seem that he shouldn't be tied to the Wizards if they have yet to commit to him.

My understanding is that he is under contract with the Wizards until they release him, so he cannot sign with another team until that happens.  The contact he is signed to has no guarantees, so he can and very likely will be released (if his deal is not converted to a 2 way) at some point before the Wizards have to cut their 20 man training camp roster down to the regular season 15 total.

That being said, if another team was interested in signing him to one of their 2-way spots & the Wizards were not, I'd assume the Wizards would work out a trade to that team for some very minor return or just they'd wait for the Wizards to release him.  I think there tends to be a lot of movement with players on 2-way deals & exhibit 10 deals near the end of camp as players are released & signed.

5 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Once the Wizards training camp is over, or maybe before, they will sign someone to a 2 way contract.  Then if that isn't Goodwin he will be released.  Then they can sign him back to their G League team, but he could also sign with another team as a 2 way player or on another team's G league team.  His exhibit 10 does give him an incentive to stay with the Wizards G league team as even if he does get released he would get a bonus by staying with their G League.  If he signed with another G League team he would not get that bonus.

i get the impression the wizards dont hold jgood in a high regard.   it always seems they come up with someone they push ahead of him.   his agent needs to find new digs if you ask me.  

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I take it this is not good for JGood? 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i get the impression the wizards dont hold jgood in a high regard.   it always seems they come up with someone they push ahead of him.   his agent needs to find new digs if you ask me.  

I agree with @billiken_roy .  I am not necessarily sure this is the best fit.  We saw when the roster was depleted of guards last year the minutes Jgood received.  They have improved their roster on the perimeter this coming year.  I'm rooting for tho.

Not worried about Dotson.  He's a scorer at the rim but he doesn't have what it takes to finish at the NBA level.  Can't shoot at all.  Not as versatile as JGood.  He's competition but lets face it tehir exhibit 10 signings weren't wowing anybody in the first place.  Goodwin is better than him.

Mintz was not even G League talent so he will sit on the Go Go bench.

The more concerning move at least for future Jordan Goodwin NBA playing time is the Go Go trading for Kris Dunn.  While offensively he is terrible, Dunn might be the best defensive player alive.  He'll get multiple call ups during the season if he stays healthy.

Wizards are serious about shoring up a 4th option at PG.  It is Goodwin's spot to lose.