Midtown Madness Mailbag

We're planning on doing a mailbag for an upcoming episode and want to get our fellow Billikens.com MBMs  who may not be on twitter a chance to drop questions. We may not have the answers to your questions but we can promise you some fun discussions and banter. We are also working on a guest that may be able to provide real answers, but that's still unsure.

Reply to this thread here, DM @Midtown Madness or @Pistol or drop us an email at [email protected].

On 9/15/2022 at 10:49 AM, wgstl said:

Was talking with a friend about this, would like to hear what you guys think.  We were trying to think who from the 12-14 rickma team's would start, or see a lot of minutes on this team.

If you’re combining this team with those players I’m rolling with:

Yuri

Kwamain

Perkins

Evans

Loe

Bench 

Jett

Jimerson 

McCall

Okoro

Ellis

I would like to know how the new players are looking. 

Especially Momo and Parker.

It might be cool in the future to interview players with NIL  deals that are promoting products. Let them pitch their products and of course talk some basketball.

51 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You're entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that this is either recency bias or revisionist history.

Or you following your heart which seems to distort your memory. Okoro played less minutes and scored about the same. Is a better rebounder, more efficient scorer and a better defender. People tend to remember Loe as this fabulous stretch 4, but the reality never matched the perception. He had his moments and was a good piece of one of the best Billiken teams ever. He avg’d about 10 ppg under 6 boards and really wasn’t a very good 3 pt shooter despite what you may remember. 

gabriel, BilliesBy40 and willie like this

I remember Loe's abilty to make space in the lane for the Jett's and the Evans's of the world.  I think he made them better players.  I'd love to see what he could do for the Yuri's of the world.

Now, maybe I am giving too much credit to Loe and not enough to RickMa's schemes.  I still think Loe understood on his own how to make space for others in the lane.

19 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I would like to know how the new players are looking. 

Especially Momo and Parker.

It might be cool in the future to interview players with NIL  deals that are promoting products. Let them pitch their products and of course talk some basketball.

Fantastic idea^

32 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

According to https://barttorvik.com/team-history.php?team=Saint+Louis, Loe and Okoro's overall statistical rank is similar. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. A reasonable argument could be made either way. 

image.png.3875a2fca00e81cf6b6aa2d7dc68de1e.png

Okoro was clearly more productive in his junior season than Loe was.  What we don't know is what Okoro's senior season will look like.  He will get more minutes so the assumption is his stats will be better than last year's, possibly even the best big man in the conference.  But that's just an assumption.

Thanks, everybody.

We didn't address everything that came in - including @Aquinas question about how the new guys look - due to a combination of time, sensitivity around health/injuries, and not having a good answer.

We will definitely do this again.

7 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Is someone injured???

We tend to avoid discussing injuries/medical information as a matter of principle. Whether Perkins is 100% or not or if Fred Thatch is back to his pre-medical mystery form. It's not our place. Neither of us have any medical background. Now if the question is: what does Player X being out for X time do to the rotation or team performance. Fair game. But speculating on health/fitness just isn't something I'm interested in.

Mostly "how the new guys look question" was not answered due to not really knowing anything more than what we all saw at the open scrimmages and discussed right after, there's not anything new we could add.

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, Midtown Madness said:

We tend to avoid discussing injuries/medical information as a matter of principle. Whether Perkins is 100% or not or if Fred Thatch is back to his pre-medical mystery form. It's not our place. Neither of us have any medical background. Now if the question is: what does Player X being out for X time do to the rotation or team performance. Fair game. But speculating on health/fitness just isn't something I'm interested in.

Mostly "how the new guys look question" was not answered due to not really knowing anything more than what we all saw at the open scrimmages and discussed right after, there's not anything new we could add.

Speculating on injuries should be verboten! 

dennis_w likes this