An early look/guess at the starting lineup for the first games and early subs

bauman

Tx Taj Mahal 79. Martin and Archie were good hires. Travis is going to bring his A game to out coach them. Grant always finds a way to frustrate us as did McKillop (who will be like an AC to his son). Bottom line the top 5 ain’t gonna be a day at the beach. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that means that Thames as a backup PG only is just getting mop up minutes.

At the 3 or 4 he can be a weapon on defense and in different defensive press situations.  It is probably his best hcance at seeing meaningful minutes this season.

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

I think that means that Thames as a backup PG only is just getting mop up minutes.

At the 3 or 4 he can be a weapon on defense and in different defensive press situations.  It is probably his best hcance at seeing meaningful minutes this season.

A little worried about Fred with his Assist to TO ratio, Perkins not so much.  Yuri can easily stay out of foul trouble if he quits grabbing on jerseys because he's frustrated about TO's.  Turning the ball over is one thing, turning the ball over then quickly drawing a frustrated foul is very annoying. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

A couple of things .... 1) telling Thames he's not the backup PG relieves any pressure on the kid.  2) From all accounts I've seen, Thames is still growing.  A 6'7" PG is unheard of for most schools.  A 6'7"+ PG at SLU is unbelievable.  3) If Cian Medley is the PG of the future, having Thames focus elsewhere is good.

Overall, nothing to complain about here except maybe Medley's youth next year.  But freshmen PGs have worked (Smith, Baldwin, Collins, Reynolds, Freeman) well around the A10.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

A little worried about Fred with his Assist to TO ratio, Perkins not so much.  Yuri can easily stay out of foul trouble if he quits grabbing on jerseys because he's frustrated about TO's.  Turning the ball over is one thing, turning the ball over then quickly drawing a frustrated foul is very annoying. 

Worried about 6-8 min of backup duty a game?

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Seriously? Yuri was in foul trouble due to grabbing jersey’s after turnovers? Where do you come up with this? Yuri averaged 2.6 fouls per game in 30+ min a game. How many times would you say that happened? 

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Seriously? Yuri was in foul trouble due to grabbing jersey’s after turnovers? Where do you come up with this? Yuri averaged 2.6 fouls per game in 30+ min a game. How many times would you say that happened? 

Sorry worded that wrong, what I'm referring to, and this happened several times last year, Yuri would have like 3 fouls, have a stupid TO and instantly foul out of frustrating - putting him in foul trouble. 

This worry about backing up Yuri is silly unless Yuri gets hurt for more than a few games and if that happens, it’s hard to say who would take that role. Maybe Thatch, maybe Thames at that point. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Sorry worded that wrong, what I'm referring to, and this happened several times last year, Yuri would have like 3 fouls, have a stupid TO and instantly foul out of frustrating - putting him in foul trouble. 

It didn’t happen with Yuri any more than any other player immediately after a mistake. He wasn’t in foul trouble often so… but yes, it’d be nice if it never happened. It hasn’t been nor will it be a problem with Yuri

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If the game is close, you give the ball to Javonte.  Just like we did the year before Yuri was forced into that role.

Perfect, As I said above, not worried about JP.  Im worried if its a close game and Fred it the one who has to play point. Will it happen, who knows. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

11 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This worry about backing up Yuri is silly unless Yuri gets hurt for more than a few games and if that happens, it’s hard to say who would take that role. Maybe Thatch, maybe Thames at that point. 

It didn’t happen with Yuri any more than any other player immediately after a mistake. He wasn’t in foul trouble often so… but yes, it’d be nice if it never happened. It hasn’t been nor will it be a problem with Yuri

Yuri Fouled out 4 times last year, all but 1 (Davidson) were less than a 5 point game.  In two of those close games, Yuri fouled out with 5ish minutes left. Its not crazy to be a little concerned how these game are handled the final few minutes when Yuri isn't it.  Love the people here, but some people think oh anyone can handle point in a close game with several minutes, nbd. 

21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If the game is close, you give the ball to Javonte.  Just like we did the year before Yuri was forced into that role.

My memory isn't hot, so if JP showed the ability of handling the point for a few minutes 2 years ago, great. I just don't recall. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Yuri can easily stay out of foul trouble if he quits grabbing on jerseys because he's frustrated about TO's.  Turning the ball over is one thing, turning the ball over then quickly drawing a frustrated foul is very annoying. 

There were a handful of games late in the second half where you could see it mentally got to Yuri leading to frustration fouls. On the other hand, I do believe these fouls will be little to none this year with the amount of weapons and support he'll have to finish off tight games. 

31 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yuri Fouled out 4 times last year, all but 1 (Davidson) were less than a 5 point game.  In two of those close games, Yuri fouled out with 5ish minutes left. Its not crazy to be a little concerned how these game are handled the final few minutes when Yuri isn't it.  Love the people here, but some people think oh anyone can handle point in a close game with several minutes, nbd. 

I didn't look so I'll stand corrected on how many games he fouled out and that's a fair point and probably valid. I'm certainly not one who thinks anyone can just handle the point. For 5 - 8 min a game split up in 2-3 min segments, I don't care but late and close, it's important. 

Your initial statement I responded to though was that Yuri was in foul trouble due to committing stupid fouls (reaching out and grabbing jersey's) though is unfair. He doesn't foul a lot and doesn't commit lazy fouls at a rate any worse than the majority of players. It doesn't unnecessarily cause him to be in foul trouble