An early look/guess at the starting lineup for the first games and early subs

bauman

The comment in the walk on thread and Stu's tweet made me go to the roster page on the official SLU MBB website

I think there are some no brainers as starters:  Yuri, Gibson , FO and Perkins which leaves only one spot up for grabs.  Based on the opponent, I think Pickett will get the nod if we need a #4 type player or Parker if we are ok size wise but need another player with guard-type skills.  First off the bench is Fred Thatch Jr.

That group gives us a strong first 7 with some real depth:  Jake K., Kramer, Thames, Cisse and TJH, able to come in off the bench.  Not listed yet is Rivera, who is pretty much an unknown, but has a lot of talent in front of him.

Maybe the deepest roster TF has put together at SLU.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bauman said:

The comment in the walk on thread and Stu's tweet made me go to the roster page on the official SLU MBB website

I think there are some no brainers as starters:  Yuri, Gibson , FO and Perkins which leaves only one spot up for grabs.  Based on the opponent, I think Pickett will get the nod if we need a #4 type player or Parker if we are ok size wise but need another player with guard-type skills.  First off the bench is Fred Thatch Jr.

That group gives us a strong first 7 with some real depth:  Jake K., Kramer, Thames, Cisse and TJH, able to come in off the bench.  Not listed yet is Rivera, who is pretty much an unknown, but has a lot of talent in front of him.

Maybe the deepest roster TF has put together at SLU.

I think the way Thatch defends bigs I think Thatch is the other starter.  Thatch has lots of experience and can do so many things good.

The 4 top bench players will be Picket, Hargrove, Parker and Forrester.

I think Ford will have to use 9 players instead of 8 because they are deep.

Reserves are Thames, Hughes, Cisse,  Kramer, and Rivera.

I hope to see the reserve players on the court but past history with coach Ford is that he won’t.

Lots of experience with 8 of the players on the team it’s time to get the party started.

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think the way Thatch defends bigs I think Thatch is the other starter.  Thatch has lots of experience and can do so many things good.

I hope to see the reserve players on the court but past history with coach Ford is that he won’t.

Lots of experience with 8 of the players on the team it’s time to get the party started.

Contrary to what is sometimes reported on this board, Ford's preference is to play 9 players. IF Perkins played last year, he most definitely would have played at least 9 every game. All you have to do is look at his rotations the season before. He played at least 9 in every game and even periodically 10, with Jimmy Bell being the 10th man.

There is no doubt the 9 you mention will be in the regular rotation. The only question for me is will he use a 10th man in a competitive game - based on match-ups & foul trouble, I will be interested to see if Thames or Rivera get some PT.

slu72 fan likes this

41 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I agree with your players except Picket is the starter over Thatch. More flexibility this way. Fred will be the first sub but it could be for anyone except center. TJ or Forrester for Picket. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

I agree with your players except Picket is the starter over Thatch. More flexibility this way. Fred will be the first sub but it could be for anyone except center. TJ or Forrester for Picket. 

I think its Fred for the same reason coach pointed out during the cards game, Fred was excellent down A10 stretch. last 10 reg conf games 14 ppg, 7 boards, 2.3 ast, 48% from 3

billikenbill likes this

I think Fred gets the nod over Pickett. He was like a JGood light at the end. Although, it’s hard to see how an SEC guy like Pickett gets shortchanged on minutes. I also think starting  lineups may change based on opponents. For example, UMass is big up front, and Forrester may get the start at 4. Again, Indiana and Temple background is hard to overlook.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Fred deserves too start.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

I think its Fred for the same reason coach pointed out during the cards game, Fred was excellent down A10 stretch. last 10 reg conf games 14 ppg, 7 boards, 2.3 ast, 48% from 3

Agree with this. Fred has definitely earned it after last season.

30 minutes ago, willie said:

Who is your proven backup for Yuri if it’s not Fred? 

Didn’t Ford say Perkins, Fred, or Parker can give Yurimania some breathers? Ideally, I’d like to see Yurimania avg about 32 mpg. Long season and he’s a little prone to minor injuries.

I will project a twist . Ford could start a big lineup like he did Bell's freshman year.

Momo, Okoro, Perkins, Gibson and Yuri,  for the first 3 to 5 min each half. 

This starting lineup would give us experience playing big, and we will need to play big against some teams. Some opponents will have trouble matching up with 2 bigs, especially with good outside shooting guards. It will also allow Momo to develop and see what he is capable of.  It will help us know what if we have and need for next year, as Okoro and Foster will be gone. It will also help us to retain Momo. Players who don't play are at high risk of moving on in today's game.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

Does it matter if Pickett starts and plays 20 to 25 minutes or comes off the bench for 20 to 25 minutes?

Does it matter if Thatch starts and plays 20 to 25 minutes or comes off the bench for 20 to 25 minutes?

Does it matter if Parker starts and plays 20 to 25 minutes or comes off the bench for 20 to 25 minutes?

Does it matter who finishes tight games?  Yes. 

Will Ford have a revolving starting lineup to match-up with the opponent?  He hasn't done that much in the past so I doubt if he does it this season. 

By conference time, Coach will play his 8+2 rotation.  So the 'other 3 plus the walk on's' will get the majority of their minutes in the early blow outs of Murray State, Evansville, Might Quinn, TN State, and SIUE.  Historically Coach has not emptied the bench in away games.  So even with a doubling the scores on St. Joe and GW, the 'others' won't get in.

The 8...Collins, Jimerson, Perkins, Okoro, Thatch, Pickett, Parker, and Forrester.  The +2...Hargrove and Thames (if he defends).  The others, enjoy the view from the bench.

10 hours ago, slufanskip said:

In 20-21 we played 9 players 10.2 mpg or more. That's more than just mop up duty for 9 players. 

In 19-20 we played 10 players 14.5 mpg or more

Yes, but...

In the 19-20 season Thatch played in only 6, of the 31 games, due to his medical issues, averaging 15.7 mpg.  And Jimerson played in only 10 games at 24.9 mpg due to his medical issues. So 8, 9 or 10 in the rotation depending on what point you want to make.

In the Covid season, 20-21, I add Jimmy Bell to the rotation as he played in 19 games of the 21 played, at 8.8 mpg.  For me, if you play in just about every game, you are in the rotation. 

Pretty well shows me that "this is the deepest team ever" (we heard that in both of those seasons) still gives you a max 10 man rotation.  I'm guessing the same will happen again this season which once again is the deepest team ever.  Just me talking.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, but...

In the 19-20 season Thatch played in only 6, of the 31 games, due to his medical issues, averaging 15.7 mpg.  And Jimerson played in only 10 games at 24.9 mpg due to his medical issues. So 8, 9 or 10 in the rotation depending on what point you want to make.

In the Covid season, 20-21, I add Jimmy Bell to the rotation as he played in 19 games of the 21 played, at 8.8 mpg.  For me, if you play in just about every game, you are in the rotation. 

Pretty well shows me that "this is the deepest team ever" (we heard that in both of those seasons) still gives you a max 10 man rotation.  I'm guessing the same will happen again this season which once again is the deepest team ever.  Just me talking.

That's a good point and nice breakdown of the minutes. I didn't really look at it like that. I guess you could play in every game and get just 8 min per game and be a rotation player also.  In 19-20, I believe GJim would have continued to get minutes and I still think TJ would have been a regular player. 

I'm not sure what to expect this year.  I don't align with the Ford only plays 8 players regardless school of thought. We know we have 7 for absolute sure if healthy, Okoro, Forester, Perk, Pick, Yuri, GJim, and Thatch. I can easily see Thames, Hargrove, and Parker getting additional regular minutes also. We'll see, it'll be interesting if there isn't an injury. And how about Cisse? Can he earn minutes with only 2 additional real bigs? 

I might be in the minority but I could see Thatch starting ahead of GJ. With Perkins and JG on the floor together our defense/rebounding could suffer a bit, particulallry early while Perkins is getting his feet back under him.  GJ would be instant offense off the bench and we know TF is adamant about defense. YC, Perkins, Pickett, Thatch, FO, would be a meat grinder to score against at the start of games.

18 minutes ago, shempie said:

I might be in the minority but I could see Thatch starting ahead of GJ. With Perkins and JG on the floor together our defense/rebounding could suffer a bit, particulallry early while Perkins is getting his feet back under him.  GJ would be instant offense off the bench and we know TF is adamant about defense. YC, Perkins, Pickett, Thatch, FO, would be a meat grinder to score against at the start of games.

I would probably bet all my money that if Gibson isn't injured, he starts. 

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Getting the W will always be the primary objective of any coach. These days, however, one thought that has to be in the backs of their minds is , “if I can’t  get a good player minutes during critical games, I may lose him to the portal.” 

If you're recruiting at a high enough level, you'll always lose good players to transfer.  High major programs lose four star recruits to the portal every year.  The only way to avoid losing players 11-13 is to recruit guys specifically to be practice players.  No one wants that.