Team Blue Walk On's Phil Jones and Lamont Evans

HoosierPal

29 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

They seem like good players. Hopefully Ford can empty his bench in our games against Team Purple and Team Green. Teams Red and Teams Blue look tough this year but there is opportunity for these guys

Nov. 23 Team Purple should definitely provide some walk-on PT. Hopefully Nov. 12 Team Purple as well.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

One guy gets three months in jail, another guy gets a 6 year contract at Xavier.  Luck of the draw, I guess.

Yeah, that little guy always gets the raw end of the deal. Also, crazy what a difference a few years can make when it comes to get money to players.

Phil Jones tore his ACL just prior to his senior season. Given an 8 month rehab time he was back in 4 and helped lead his team at the end of the season.

I'm not one these posters who believes we shouldn't mention anything like that, glass houses though.  The local AAU teams that we recruit from are riddled with known felons on their coaching staffs but a walk ons father did a short stint in an FBI witch hunt and we are now going to start being concerned about "character."  The father did very little if anything wrong and that has nothing to do with the son.  Don't punish him for his dad's crimes. 

BilliesBy40 and CenHudDude like this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Phil Jones tore his ACL just prior to his senior season. Given an 8 month rehab time he was back in 4 and helped lead his team at the end of the season.

I'm not one these posters who believes we shouldn't mention anything like that, glass houses though.  The local AAU teams that we recruit from are riddled with known felons on their coaching staffs but a walk ons father did a short stint in an FBI witch hunt and we are now going to start being concerned about "character."  The father did very little if anything wrong and that has nothing to do with the son.  Don't punish him for his dad's crimes. 

I don’t think anyone is concerned about it.  I’m not.  It was just the first thing I checked when I saw the name.  I don’t think people noticing it means they are concerned about the kid.  It is an interesting story.  It is especially interesting when you contrast what happened to his dad compared to what we have today across college sports.  The same federal court system that sent his dad to jail for helping direct money from shoe companies to college players has now decided that it is completely legal for those same shoe companies to sign those college players to endorsement deals and totally neutered the NCAA’s ability to enforce any rules when it comes to outside interest paying players.

6 minutes ago, Compton said:

Are you concerned? No one else seems to be.

This is the third time its been brought up on the board at least. Continues to get rehashed. This board is read by recruits, their families, etc. Do we want to mention his father everytime the player is mentioned from now on? 

Davis likes this

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

This is the third time its been brought up on the board at least. Continues to get rehashed. This board is read by recruits, their families, etc. Do we want to mention his father everytime the player is mentioned from now on? 

To your point, hopefully folks avoid gross generalizations and fear mongering on such topics.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Does anyone know if Larry Hughes Jr is a 'preferred walk on' or a regular walk on. 

Is preferred walk on still a term used?  The NCAA rules changed a few years ago to level out the walk on issues.

Preferred walk on just means they are guaranteed a roster spot. They still recieve no aid and can't do most activities that scholarship athletes do or they must pay extra for them.