Bob Ramsey

Brighton

5 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

sports played a big role in saving lindenwood from bankruptcy 

Where exactly does the "big role in saving from bankruptcy" money come from?

There is negligible attendance and broadcast revenue for DI hockey, DII basketball and football, and every other sport. With even the "revenue sports" widely reported as being money pits for all but the highest achieving DI programs/conferences, I'm just curious where exactly the money comes from. Donors? Athletes lured by small scholarships that are actually net contributors to the balance sheet? Relying on your HOCKEY and football programs to bail out your school somehow doesn't add up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/9/2022 at 7:09 AM, cheeseman said:

I am not an expert on this but as I understand it Lindenwood has made great amounts of money off of granting small schollies for every sport or quasi sport you can imagine and getting kids to come because of that thus paying up for the difference.  They also have a lot of adjuncts as opposed to full time professors as well as requiring their teachers to recruit students for their classes especially in the graduate program areas.  I know of a few adjuncts there who have told me some of this.  Also, endowments usually have restrictions for what they can be spent for and often only allow for the income they produce to be spent - makes sense to me if you want to ensure that your  large gift keeps giving for what you intended.  Finally, they have a very aggressive cost savings approach that should be lauded but the profit is not necessarily put back in the school to keep costs down but to pay the people at the top.  I am open to being educated if anything I said is substantially wrong.

This has been Lindenwood's whole growth strategy since Spellman left and they moved away from being a stodgy conservative Presbyterian college. Seems like it is working though you can't help but wondering financially what happens long term.

FWIW I think SLU's strategy to focus on becoming a major research university is a better fit. The $ it would take to actually matter in college football is just too high and the system is set up to prevent anyone new really becoming a player.

If college hockey as a whole grows into something even close to a revenue sport (unlikely) that might be more practical.

bauman and billiken_roy like this

28 minutes ago, Compton said:

Where exactly does the "big role in saving from bankruptcy" money come from?

There is negligible attendance and broadcast revenue for DI hockey, DII basketball and football, and every other sport. With even the "revenue sports" widely reported as being money pits for all but the highest achieving DI programs/conferences, I'm just curious where exactly the money comes from. Donors? Athletes lured by small scholarships that are actually net contributors to the balance sheet? Relying on your HOCKEY and football programs to bail out your school somehow doesn't add up.

typically athletes would get a reduction in tuition, the scholly part and then would pay room and board fees, keeping the dorms full and making the food service profitable or at least not a loser.m the school gets a bunch of students who want to play sports that otherwise would maybe not choose lindenwood, their tuition would be greatly reduced and the dorms wouldnt lose money. happens in a lot of small schools

Box and Won likes this

25 minutes ago, ARon said:

This has been Lindenwood's whole growth strategy since Shipley left and they moved away from being a stodgy conservative Presbyterian college. Seems like it is working though you can't help but wondering financially what happens long term.

FWIW I think SLU's strategy to focus on becoming a major research university is a better fit. The $ it would take to actually matter in college football is just too high and the system is set up to prevent anyone new really becoming a player.

If college hockey as a whole grows into something even close to a revenue sport (unlikely) that might be more practical.

lindenwood was looking to shut down and sell its assets roughly 40 years ago and they turned it around using this strategy, looks like it worked

14 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

lindenwood was looking to shut down and sell its assets roughly 40 years ago and they turned it around using this strategy, looks like it worked

Lindenwood, actually expects their professors to teach and not just put out politically biased research papers.....they have been a model in how to run an educational institution.....

AGB91 likes this

-the president who saved LU was Dennis Spellman who had a strategy to get government schollies for as many kids as possible, that's where the sports programs expanded and football was created

-LU has had a stadium to host football for many years before the school had a team, the football Cardinals had training camp there in the 70's

-I understand Rammer doing these games, he has to put food on the table, but if Rammer misses a SLU game for LU that would be stinky

6 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Didn't know this .... Lindenwood University is a private university in St. Charles, Missouri. Founded in 1827 by George Champlin Sibley and Mary Easton Sibley as The Lindenwood School for Girls, it is the second-oldest higher-education institution west of the Mississippi River.

& first west of Mississippi??

rgbilliken likes this

On 9/9/2022 at 11:47 AM, BIG BILL FAN said:

Lindenwood, actually expects their professors to teach and not just put out politically biased research papers.....they have been a model in how to run an educational institution.....

I've attended a Lindenwood commencement ceremony and I'll just say that any notion that LU is politics-free is extraordinarily false.

Fun fact, Spellman once lamented that the female student body sat outside their dorms like a "bunch of harlots".

24 minutes ago, ARon said:

I've attended a Lindenwood commencement ceremony and I'll just say that any notion that LU is politics-free is extraordinarily false.

Fun fact, Spellman once lamented that the female student body sat outside their dorms like a "bunch of harlots".

I never said they were free of politics, I pointed out that they have to actually teach students to receive a paycheck…. Oh, and as for Dennis Spellman, he was known for his honesty…

On 9/9/2022 at 12:59 PM, Cowboy II said:

-the president who saved LU was Dennis Spellman who had a strategy to get government schollies for as many kids as possible, that's where the sports programs expanded and football was created

Among other strategies... Spellman was the president of Tarkio College when it got shut down after conducting financial aid fraud for many years and had to pay back millions.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Wut? Hopefully they're able to pull double duty for SLU.

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Uhhhhhhhhh

It looks like Rammer and Earl will only be doing home games for Lindenwood but....

How are we allowing this? Why are we allowing this? I know they are both alums but Rammer and Earl are really a brand for SLU Athletics. Now they do games for another college 30 miles away??? Is this just a one season thing? 

Can't see any circumstance where the optics on this are good for Billiken Athletics.