Bob Ramsey

Brighton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s an interesting question. We might find out Nov 12th, Lindenwood takes on McKendree in St Charles at 1pm on Nov 12th, and SLU plays Evansville on Nov 12th at time TBA. If it’s a 7pm start time for the Billikens, I guess Rammer speeds down I-70 to Chaifetz after the FB game (hope he doesn’t get a ticket). If it gets scheduled as an afternoon game, then I guess a decision needs to be made.

51 minutes ago, thetorch said:

What happens when Lindenwood is playing at the same time as the Billikens?

I would expect him to do the Billikens' games since the radio listeners for LU football will probably top out at 100, all of whom will be family members of players.  It's a sign of how important this job is for Rammer since the big LU announcement doesn't even mention what station will be airing the games. Let's see: football game for 100 fans on a Mom & Pop radio station vs Bills on KMOX.  Humm that's a tough one !

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

What I can’t figure out is how can Lindenwood afford an FCS FB program and we can’t. I’m sure our endowment dwarf’s theirs. 

They have had a football (D2) level program for years so the cost of moving up to D1 is not nearly as great as moving into the OVC group of regional teams.  Starting a program from scratch fighting for top recruits with MO and ILL is a different story.  And btw, Lindenwoods financials are much larger than you would guess them to be.

46 minutes ago, bauman said:

They have had a football (D2) level program for years so the cost of moving up to D1 is not nearly as great as moving into the OVC group of regional teams.  Starting a program from scratch fighting for top recruits with MO and ILL is a different story.  And btw, Lindenwoods financials are much larger than you would guess them to be.

Per google $164 mm. That’s not much. 

3 hours ago, bauman said:

I agree with most of your post except the financial reference. SLU’s endowment is almost $1.5 BILLION more than Lindenwood’s endowment. Of course, endowment isn’t everything, so enlighten us regarding Lindenwood’s “financials”.

8 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I agree with most of your post except the financial reference. SLU’s endowment is almost $1.5 BILLION more than Lindenwood’s endowment. Of course, endowment isn’t everything, so enlighten us regarding Lindenwood’s “financials”.

I am not an expert on this but as I understand it Lindenwood has made great amounts of money off of granting small schollies for every sport or quasi sport you can imagine and getting kids to come because of that thus paying up for the difference.  They also have a lot of adjuncts as opposed to full time professors as well as requiring their teachers to recruit students for their classes especially in the graduate program areas.  I know of a few adjuncts there who have told me some of this.  Also, endowments usually have restrictions for what they can be spent for and often only allow for the income they produce to be spent - makes sense to me if you want to ensure that your  large gift keeps giving for what you intended.  Finally, they have a very aggressive cost savings approach that should be lauded but the profit is not necessarily put back in the school to keep costs down but to pay the people at the top.  I am open to being educated if anything I said is substantially wrong.

ARon likes this

24 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not an expert on this but as I understand it Lindenwood has made great amounts of money off of granting small schollies for every sport or quasi sport you can imagine and getting kids to come because of that thus paying up for the difference.  They also have a lot of adjuncts as opposed to full time professors as well as requiring their teachers to recruit students for their classes especially in the graduate program areas.  I know of a few adjuncts there who have told me some of this.  Also, endowments usually have restrictions for what they can be spent for and often only allow for the income they produce to be spent - makes sense to me if you want to ensure that your  large gift keeps giving for what you intended.  Finally, they have a very aggressive cost savings approach that should be lauded but the profit is not necessarily put back in the school to keep costs down but to pay the people at the top.  I am open to being educated if anything I said is substantially wrong.

Nothing you have said contradicts what I have heard, it has been a good formula for building a university, remember Lindenwood had fewer than 1000 students in the late 80’s.  Look where they are now. I do wonder how well their sports game plan will translate to D1, where football players and basketball players expect full scholarships.

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Someone has to replace Florida International as the worst football program in D1.  They've held the title long enough.

While i dislike Lindenwood is never last for long in anything sports related. They will be at the top of their conference quickly.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

While i dislike Lindenwood is never last for long in anything sports related. They will be at the top of their conference quickly.

Didn't know this .... Lindenwood University is a private university in St. Charles, Missouri. Founded in 1827 by George Champlin Sibley and Mary Easton Sibley as The Lindenwood School for Girls, it is the second-oldest higher-education institution west of the Mississippi River.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

my son was recruited by lindenwood and at that time they probably had near 30 on some kind of scholly for basketball naia at the time, sports played a big role in saving lindenwood from bankruptcy 

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I am not an expert on this but as I understand it Lindenwood has made great amounts of money off of granting small schollies for every sport or quasi sport you can imagine and getting kids to come because of that thus paying up for the difference.  

That's many NAIA schools in a nutshell (non-D1 college athletics as a whole). Not necessarily Lindenwood specific