2022 Volleyball

Volleyball dropped 2 straight in their own tournament this weekend.

First to a team in their 2nd year of Division 1. A team who last year went 3-25 and won 15 of the games in that season. Second 3-0 to a Central Michigan team who went 13-17 a year ago.

Let's forget the idea that SLU should spend more money on the volleyball program, can we all admit this is unacceptable for a program with the funding it does get and the fact that only 13 years ago was going to their 3rd NCAA Tournament in 4 years? There has to be a better head coaching option at the price SLU is willing to pay.

AGB91 likes this

Miller has to be on his way out. It stinks that we aren't in a position to buy out poor coaches early. 

This needs to be a priority hire. Volleyball should be A10 contenders every year. Slu has raised the profiles of womens soccer and basketball, time for volleyball and softball to get similar treatment.

Wish i could win the lottery and then chaifetz the out of these lower level sports. The financial commitment needed to change these sports from cellar dwellers to A10 contenders is pretty small comparatively.

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Ann Kordes’s daughter is not a toddler anymore.  Maybe she is interested in moving back into the college coaching ranks.

I would welcome Anne back with open arms. Besides the question if she wants to leave the club scene again, would Chris May swallow his pride on this one and bring her back? Her coaching/motivation style is not without criticism, those critiques may be a tougher hill to overcome in 2022.

9 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

They beat Virginia tech btw

And Esatern Michigan, lost to DePaul, record on the season now 6-3, heading into another tournament they host with Missouri State, Kansas City, and Iowa State. Missouri State is 2-7 this season, Kansas City is 3-6, and Iowa State is 5-4.

58 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

And Esatern Michigan, lost to DePaul, record on the season now 6-3, heading into another tournament they host with Missouri State, Kansas City, and Iowa State. Missouri State is 2-7 this season, Kansas City is 3-6, and Iowa State is 5-4.

Nothing about this team makes any sense.

Lose to one of the worst teams in D1.

Beat a decent Va Tech team sans Mak Hill.

Lose to a bad DePaul team.

10 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

They beat Virginia tech btw

38 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nothing about this team makes any sense.

Lose to one of the worst teams in D1.

Beat a decent Va Tech team sans Mak Hill.

Lose to a bad DePaul team.

Makes perfect sense. Miller's teams do just enough to keep his job. 

From the A10:

Saint Louis junior outside hitter Emily Henken was named the Atlantic 10 Conference co-Player of the Week, the league announced Monday.

Henken registered a team-best 49 kills, 4.08 per set, and surpassed her career high in kills in consecutive contests in a two-win week for the Billikens. She also contributed 1.75 digs and 0.33 aces per set.

The junior began the week with 14 kills and five digs in a win over Eastern Michigan Friday afternoon.

Henken then tied her career best with 15 kills, along with seven digs, in a four-set win over Virginia Tech.

She wrapped up the week with a career-best 20 kills against DePaul, while also nearing a double-double with her nine digs.

8 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nice to see them beat another really bad team in the non-conference. Kent Miller well on his way to another average non-con record and 4th place finish in conference.

Fair enough, I just want the players to know that it’s not directed against them, we appreciate them putting on the Billiken uniform and trying their best to get a win for SLU, and wish them success.

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean none of them read this board. I’m sure of that. These teams stink 

😄 Probably not!  Any college student probably doesn’t spend any time on this board, and if any of them are reading this, let me say to them: “Why aren’t you studying instead of killing time here reading this?”

I agree, great job so far, keep it up. I’d like to see them win the A10 tournament, that should be the goal. I am coming to agree with billilenfan05, the program should have a goal of winning the A10 every year, and advancing to the NCAA. Maybe they don’t win every year, but they should not accept not winning it ever.  Roll Bills!

5 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

05 must be disappointed.

LOL, you really think I want this program to be lose?

If you want to just throw out their record and say "hey look they are winning", you'd be correct. But just one look at their strength of schedule you might start to question whether or not this team has improved(They haven't). They've finished 3rd like every year for the last 5 years and they'll likely finish 4th this year(because Loyola was added). Kent Miller is way too experienced as a head coach to excuse a lack of improvement in 5 years.

31 minutes ago, almaman said:

Men's basketball top sport here & kinda sorta has sucked a good portion of time. expecting a lot out of some lesser sports seems a waste of time imo

We've seen the possibilities for this program. I think all fully funded team sport programs should be making the NCAA Tournament every 4 years at minimum. I honestly don't even think that's my expectation. I think my expectation is to not praise stagnation. At best Kent's tenure at SLU could be described as stagnate.