Early season prediction thread

bauman

18 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

*Troll reaction*

This clown posted last season that he wished SLU kept hockey and discontinued the basketball program.

He is a troll and proves by his own posts he does not like the basketball program.

He wants attention.

majerus mojo likes this

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hell, if there ever was a season I thought we could go 30-0 this is that season.

Hey, if I'm right, I'll be able to crow about it forever. If not, well, just another MBM drinking gulping the Koolaid.

30-0. (If not, I won't be livid like that Backhand guy. Just a bit disappointed.)

7 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Well hell, if there ever was a season I thought we could go 30-0 this is that season.

Hey, if I'm right, I'll be able to crow about it forever. If not, well, just another MBM drinking gulping the Koolaid.

30-0. (If not, I won't be livid like that Backhand guy. Just a bit disappointed.)

And this board will forever debate whether the Paul Quinn game should be included in our W total 

1 hour ago, Marlow said:

The conference is going to be a dog fight. It wouldn’t be surprising to have multiple teams with a chance to win it on the last week of the season.

Hopefully that will translate into 3 or 4 teams that might be candidates for an at large bid .  I would think, at this point that the following teams would be in the discussion for a bid if they didn't get the automatic one:  UD, SLU, VCU and possibly Loyola.  I do think the days of the A-10 getting more than 3 bids will be unusual. 

Contrary to the excitement of some posters,  I don't think our OOC schedule is tough enough to carry much weight on Selection Sunday, unless we have an outstanding A 10 season.  Too many MVC teams and only  3 or so high Q1  opponents.  Memphis? , maybe one in the multi-team event and @Auburn.  If we beat Drake at home, I can assure you that, that will not move the needle when the Committee is looking at bubble teams' big wins.

slufan13 likes this

20 minutes ago, bauman said:

Hopefully that will translate into 3 or 4 teams that might be candidates for an at large bid .  I would think, at this point that the following teams would be in the discussion for a bid if they didn't get the automatic one:  UD, SLU, VCU and possibly Loyola.  I do think the days of the A-10 getting more than 3 bids will be unusual. 

Contrary to the excitement of some posters,  I don't think our OOC schedule is tough enough to carry much weight on Selection Sunday, unless we have an outstanding A 10 season.  Too many MVC teams and only  3 or so high Q1  opponents.  Memphis? , maybe one in the multi-team event and @Auburn.  If we beat Drake at home, I can assure you that, that will not move the needle when the Committee is looking at bubble teams' big wins.

A tougher schedule cuts both ways.  What if there were two more Q1 opponents on the schedule and we went 1-4 in Q1 games and lost at Iona (very plausible)?  A 7-5 OOC record would force us to go 15-3 just to have enough wins to get on the bubble.

You can't use the OOC schedule to mirror the difficulty of high major schedules.  They have over a dozen Q1 opportunities in conference and are allowed to finish .500 by the selection committee.  A mid-major is expected to win most of their Q1 games.  It's not a level playing field.

This will be the best the A10 has been since 2012 - with the potential to be even better. 

Memphis, Miami (if we get them) and Auburn should all be top 35 teams.  with a chance of a few top 60 teams too. 

We also play 3 more top 100 OOC then what we faced last year according to preseason rankings of T-rank.  It'll likely be harder than last years OOC.  

2 hours ago, bauman said:

I respectfully disagree about the schedule strength, it is a good schedule.  In an earlier post you wrote off Memphis, Miami, Auburn and I am not sure why?

SLU can win those games if they stay healthy and they have the offensive fire power especially from the 3. The bench is deep with the exception of the point guard position but we have no idea that there is not a suitable back-up.  There are 2 guys playing on offense this season Perkins and Parker that can create their own shot.  I have watched Picket play college ball and he will be a solid contributor to the team.

If you turn out to be right then I will be disappointed and the coach should have a warm seat.

This has to be the season that there will be good luck.  No injuries, COVID, Situation 1 and 2.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I respectfully disagree about the schedule strength, it is a good schedule.  In an earlier post you wrote off Memphis, Miami, Auburn and I am not sure why?

SLU can win those games if they stay healthy and they have the offensive fire power especially from the 3. The bench is deep with the exception of the point guard position but we have no idea that there is not a suitable back-up.  There are 2 guys playing on offense this season Perkins and Parker that can create their own shot.  I have watched Picket play college ball and he will be a solid contributor to the team.

If you turn out to be right then I will be disappointed and the coach should have a warm seat.

This has to be the season that there will be good luck.  No injuries, COVID, Situation 1 and 2.

Maybe it's semantics, but I don't think I "wrote off" the 3 teams you mentioned.  I predicted a loss to those 3, all of whom are high quality teams.  It's no disgrace to lose to them and it would be nice to get a W against at least one of them.

Regarding the SOS, the A 10 schedule is what it is.  A few good teams but overall not a group of games to build a good SOS on.  Our SOS will be helped by the teams you cite, although Miami, the likely highest ranked team in that mini-tournament is not a certain opponent. Outside of that pair of games in CT, our only chance to get big time W's is Memphis and @ Auburn.  A win at Iona would be helpful but the home games against the 3 MVC teams and a down Boise State. along with the buy games does not make a good schedule as far as I am concerned.  Hopefully we win the A-10 automatic bid, but if not we will need more than a win against Maryland on a neutral court, @ Iona and wins at the rest of our Chafitz games, except for a loss against Memphis.  

If we beat Memphis, and @ Auburn then we have a real good shot at an at-large bid, if we need it.

Hey it was just my guestimate at our record.  If we do better then wonderful.