91-92 Grawer's final season

thetorch

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

Big step up in level of play that year and he didnt know robinson and stewart would go off the rails. ryan grant got injured and what would have been i decent season turned into a disaster.

lot of talent with 10 cent brains and character.

CBFan and dennis_w like this

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

I wrote a thread.  It is rather long but there was a bunch of interesting stuff that happened in that nightmare of a season. Enjoy

Brings back a lot of memories. I don't agree with Billikenswins. If anything it makes me appreciate our current administration that much more. Thanks for doing this. 

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Imagine if the board and social media had been around during the season ticket debacle and the season itself.  Hoo boy.

I could have done a whole thread on the ticket thing.  Crazy thing I didn't put in was Yow gave a huge print interview in the weekend Post Dispatch magazine, several pages, just a week before the ticket debacle broke.  She was way too candid in the interview, talked about Biondi, Grawer, and the worse part at the time, her having an abortion when she was younger.  SLU was livid, and then a few days later she would completely botch season tickets for the biggest sport.  Can't imagine how many donations and gifts that SLU lost in that one week.  Spoon was her saving grace.  If she had hired anybody but him, who could be the face of the athletic department Biondi would have fired her before the 92-93 school year.

5 hours ago, willie said:

Brings back a lot of memories. I don't agree with Billikenswins. If anything it makes me appreciate our current administration that much more. Thanks for doing this. 

Some of us dislike the hush hush nature of the Athletic Department but take a look at how Yow, Grawer, Winfield & Biondi aired their grievances in public and that was just the way things were done.  It made it that much easier for the media at the time to pile on.  Its like night and day now.

33 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Some of us dislike the hush hush nature of the Athletic Department but take a look at how Yow, Grawer, Winfield & Biondi aired their grievances in public and that was just the way things were done.  It made it that much easier for the media at the time to pile on.  Its like night and day now.

Some of those quotes were bananas, like Grawer's comments on the assistant coach who was not retained.  You don't see too many quotes like that nowadays. 

53 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I could have done a whole thread on the ticket thing.  Crazy thing I didn't put in was Yow gave a huge print interview in the weekend Post Dispatch magazine, several pages, just a week before the ticket debacle broke.  She was way too candid in the interview, talked about Biondi, Grawer, and the worse part at the time, her having an abortion when she was younger.  SLU was livid, and then a few days later she would completely botch season tickets for the biggest sport.  Can't imagine how many donations and gifts that SLU lost in that one week.  Spoon was her saving grace.  If she had hired anybody but him, who could be the face of the athletic department Biondi would have fired her before the 92-93 school year.

-perhaps you will one day, would likely read like some sort of comedy/tragedy of errors

-who has an idea as to when Billiken Club Priorty Points started? I guess they were not around at that time or if they were I need to wait for that thread as to why they weren't used for seat location priority

49 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-perhaps you will one day, would likely read like some sort of comedy/tragedy of errors

-who has an idea as to when Billiken Club Priorty Points started? I guess they were not around at that time or if they were I need to wait for that thread as to why they weren't used for seat location priority

As part of the background when the big donors complained about where their seats were and why weren't seats awarded on the basis of longevity Yow claimed that there were no records and blamed the previous ticket manager and AD.  The previous AD then went to the Post and told them right where the list was in Yow's office and it became a war of words between him, his ticket manager, Yow and her ticket manager.  The points system was introduced shortly thereafter.

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

I am going to guess around 95-96. The Billiken Club was formed to take over the Tip-Off club. The Athletic Department wanted to control the money. There was some resistance from the Club but gave in. The NCAA eventually would have doomed the club. 

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

got screwed on seating with that debacle, never got any answers, but did get crappy seats

It was a fiasco.  We were in the arena for 3 years and everyone complained about their seats.  I was a lucky one, we had terrible seats at kiel stuck in the middle of the mezzanine right before the overhang began in the corner.  Impossible to see the game.  At the Arena we scored Sec 121 row C.  Bought those seats when they were tearing down the Arena they are sitting in my garage.

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

It was a fiasco.  We were in the arena for 3 years and everyone complained about their seats.  I was a lucky one, we had terrible seats at kiel stuck in the middle of the mezzanine right before the overhang began in the corner.  Impossible to see the game.  At the Arena we scored Sec 121 row C.  Bought those seats when they were tearing down the Arena they are sitting in my garage.

The explanation for what happened with the seat assignment process was that Yow said that she did not understand - not sure why - that those who sat in the lower section of Kiel were the bigger fish and that those who sat higher up were not when in actuality the best viewing seats at Kiel were the higher up ones.  Many of us choose to sit higher up for just that reason.  She also thought that giving companies first choice was going to raise more money and apparently was how it was done at places she had been.  The group formed to study formed by the school to find out what happened ultimately produced the above findings.  It wounded Yow and ultimately led to her leaving.  If anything I just wrote is not accurate others can correct me.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

The explanation for what happened with the seat assignment process was that Yow said that she did not understand - not sure why - that those who sat in the lower section of Kiel were the bigger fish and that those who sat higher up were not when in actuality the best viewing seats at Kiel were the higher up ones.  Many of us choose to sit higher up for just that reason.  She also thought that giving companies first choice was going to raise more money and apparently was how it was done at places she had been.  The group formed to study formed by the school to find out what happened ultimately produced the above findings.  It wounded Yow and ultimately led to her leaving.  If anything I just wrote is not accurate others can correct me.

You are spot on.

Also the old guard of boosters at the time were very supportive of Grawer, who had feuded with Yow her first year. She was trying to build a base of financial support apart from them.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

we sat in the upper seats on the end line above the basket, had those seats for years best place to watch. ended up at the arena in an almost unwatchable seat

cheeseman likes this