Welcome, Daniel Rivera!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

untrue or not it is not a civil way to respond, i am sure most on this board would prefer a courteous respond to a disagreement as to the way old guy has been treated. as for as policing the board, it is Steve's to police as he will, not mine or yours

To be fair, it’s been a decade. To assume there haven’t been tactful attempts in those 10 years is not a good assumption. 

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Imagine if you were the title name in this thread and was looking for information about the Bills and their fan base.  You would have to be scratching your head and wondering what you have gotten yourself into.

Any chance the mods can move all of the non-recruit posts into a separate thread?  This is really not a good look for Billiken fandom.

When I checked back on this thread every once in a while, hoping newer post have something to do with our new player all I find is a debate about personalities of posters,  Come on, guys and gals, we can do better than this.

Nobody actually cares about this board as much as we do. it’s self centered to think otherwise. 

I come to this board for Billikens sports-related content. The One’s insider info, Pistol & company’s recruiting info, radioboy’s and Hoosier pals interview recaps, and to make sure The Wiz hasn’t short-circuited. But, like almost every internet sports forum, that sports-related content makes up maybe 1% of the sports-related posts on this board. The rest is filled with hot takes (all of mine included) from self-appointed sports experts. I come to this board for the above-mentioned reasons but I stay on this board for the banter, personal stories, and laughs. 

Sure, a decent portion of Old Guy’s posts are ridiculous for one reason or another but who gives a rat’s a55. Ignore them/him, disagree with them (yes, even though he’s older than you 😱!!!), or do what I do: laugh at them while picturing OG hammering away on his keyboard from a booth at the O’Fallon, MO Cracker Barrel while he waits for his chicken fried steak to cool down. 

Life is too short. 

PS: Can’t wait to see you on the court, Daniel!!!!!

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I come to this board for Billikens sports-related content. The One’s insider info, Pistol & company’s recruiting info, radioboy’s and Hoosier pals interview recaps, and to make sure The Wiz hasn’t short-circuited. But, like almost every internet sports forum, that sports-related content makes up maybe 1% of the sports-related posts on this board. The rest is filled with hot takes (all of mine included) from self-appointed sports experts. I come to this board for the above-mentioned reasons but I stay on this board for the banter, personal stories, and laughs. 

Sure, a decent portion of Old Guy’s posts are ridiculous for one reason or another but who gives a rat’s a55. Ignore them/him, disagree with them (yes, even though he’s older than you 😱!!!), or do what I do: laugh at them while picturing OG hammering away on his keyboard from a booth at the O’Fallon, MO Cracker Barrel while he waits for his chicken fried steak to cool down. 

Life is too short. 

PS: Can’t wait to see you on the court, Daniel!!!!!

haha

On 8/26/2022 at 10:00 PM, willie said:

He’s real.

Yes he is real.   I've met him.  Just leave him alone imo.   He isn't hurting anyone.

AGB91, CenHudDude, CBFan and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Yes he is real.   I've met him.  Just leave him alone imo.   He isn't hurting anyone.

This whole kerfuffle is one of the weirdest things I have seen on the board. It also involves the misuse of the word Troll throughout, maybe we need a whole thread defining the word, and we can really ‘Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance’ the crap out of it.

billikenbill likes this

19 hours ago, wgstl said:

I wonder what Daniel is thinking after reading this thread about him 

Genuinely had this thought about other 2023 recruits who would Google their names and see people arguing about the Newhart Show last week. Now this. Luckily, Rivera has a very common name.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Genuinely had this thought about other 2023 recruits who would Google their names and see people arguing about the Newhart Show last week. Now this. Luckily, Rivera has a very common name.

That’s because no one can argue against the Newhart Show and the button-down mind of Bob Newhart! (Now to see if anyone got that reference)

Hopefully the 2023 recruits who see this will just think we’re all a bunch of harmless old kooks…

Billiken Rich likes this

NYC to Odessa TX is a culture shock. No blaming this kid for wanting to get back to a city quick.

Interesting pick up has the physical stats and working on the basketball. 

I'm all about filling up the scholarship spots because who knows what tomorrow brings. 

Old guy likes this

On 8/27/2022 at 12:45 AM, Old guy said:

Of course I am real, I am old (76), and I am retired. I am an MD (Georgetown '71), internist (Georgetown '74). I spent 4 years after residency at Harvard doing immunology and Microbiology (2 degrees, MPH '75, MS '78 in lieu of a PhD). I spent most of my professional life working in insurance dealing with disease, life expectancy, and disability. I know statistics and probability reasonably well and can apply them reasonably well. During my medical training (1973?) I did a training rotation at the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) where I worked for a couple of months as part of a clinical team led by no other than a much younger Fauci, yes the one you have been hearing in the news. He did not impress me then and still doesn't. I also volunteered and did 8 years as an MD in a Army NG Infantry Division. While the troops trained, we, the medics, worked taking care of the heat shock or deep hypothermia cases, plus all kinds of odds and ends kinds of accidental trauma cases that happened during training. My division was the 26th ID MAARNG, and we were designated the relief division for the 10th Mountain, so we trained with them. Oh, and my division contained the oldest artillery unit in the US army, which was first created with the guns taken from Fort Ticonderoga way back when. Finally, I have traded the market since '72 and I am familiar with uses of AI in the market. I have also testified in court many times as an expert in disability and insurance.

Even the Mexican Ice cubes and disease are real. The company would send me to Mexico every year to speak to the Mexican insurers about life expectancy and disability. I suggest that, if you doubt the Mexican Ice Cube stuff, you should go to Mexico City to check out their tequila on the rocks and Margaritas. See what happens after you are there 4 to 5 days. If you want to go fancy in DF for lunch or dinner, I suggest the Hacienda de los Morales in DF. Do not forget to visit the pyramids of the Sun and the Moon near the city, and drink some more booze with ice cubes out there. The anthropology museum is also a must see. After you come back home go check the Cahokia mounds park and museum. It is amazing how similar the Mississipian culture and the pre-colombian Mexican culture remains and artifacts were to one another. Oh, and if you are closer to the Shiloh battlefield than to the Cahokia mounds, the battlefield park also contains Mississipian culture mounds and an exhibit of artifacts.

Sadly, the pre-colombian cultures had no basketball, but they played a form of ball game where the object was to pass a rubber ball through a vertical hole high in a stone pole. Winners won, and I believe the losers were sacrificed afterwards. The last paragraph of this is included because this is, after all, a basketball board, so why not give some credit to the pre-colombian cultures from creating their own ball game version for sacrificial purposes.

So, yes I am pretty sure I am real, and have had a real life behind me.

That is an impressive resume! Now I understand how you became such a big Billikens fan.

I skim most of your posts, and usually read about 1/3rd of the content, but I'm sure the other 2/3rds is just as riveting. So, please keep posting here. I appreciate your unique point of view. Seriously.

I apologize for being off topic here, but can you give me your thoughts on the advantages of the Billikens joining the Missouri Valley Conference as early as next year?

majerus mojo and thetorch like this

3 hours ago, David King said:

That is an impressive resume! Now I understand how you became such a big Billikens fan.

I skim most of your posts, and usually read about 1/3rd of the content, but I'm sure the other 2/3rds is just as riveting. So, please keep posting here. I appreciate your unique point of view. Seriously.

I apologize for being off topic here, but can you give me your thoughts on the advantages of the Billikens joining the Missouri Valley Conference as early as next year?

I know you think you’re  being funny..but you failed miserably… the one you truly demeaned is yourself….

HoosierPal likes this

On 8/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, RUBillsFan said:

Steve is generally hands off unless somethings is totally out of control (which is a good thing IMO).  There are many  examples of MBMs self-policing over the years without Steve having to intervene.

Perhaps a catchy acronym MBMs should use to think before they post would make things better.  I propose CRAPPY:

C - Is what I am posting "Concise"

R - Is what I am posting "Relevant to the topic"

A - Does what I am posting "Add something meaningful to the conversation"

P - Is what I am posting "Polite to other MBMs"

P - Avoid posts about "Politics"

Y - Is what you are posting "Your own words/content"  Avoid plagiarism / needless repetition of others.

"Make CRAPPY posts, not posts that are full of crap."

That's the best acronym I've seen since this one:

See @CharlesFinch's Tweet on Twitter / Twitter

"Respect your elders" is bullsh!t. 

Respect those who deserve your respect. Many elders do; many don't. To grant blanket respect to anyone who has managed to live more years than I have discredits all the things any have done to actually deserve it. 

Also - Welcome, Daniel Rivera! 

thetorch likes this

"Respect your elders" is a default, sort of like innocent until proven guilty.  We learned as a society over millennia that it makes sense to extend a certain amount of grace to people who have lived a long time.  However that courtesy has a limit.  People who abuse it eventually lose that privilege.

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

"Respect your elders" is bullsh!t. 

Respect those who deserve your respect. Many elders do; many don't. To grant blanket respect to anyone who has managed to live more years than I have discredits all the things any have done to actually deserve it. 

Also - Welcome, Daniel Rivera! 

The problem is you equate respect with only those who agree with you…. 

AGB91 likes this