Welcome, Daniel Rivera!

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

no reason as to why I thought that felt weird, but this type of recruit seemed like a late add for this class more than for 2023 recruit

If Rivera came in as a 2023 recruit, he would have 2 years of eligibility but he'd see more minutes right away.  As a 2022 recruit he will have 3 years of eligibility but probably won't play much the first year.  Rivera qualified academically out of high school so I suspect he wants to continue his academic career as soon as possible.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Rivera came in as a 2023 recruit, he would have 2 years of eligibility but he'd see more minutes right away.  As a 2022 recruit he will have 3 years of eligibility but probably won't play much the first year.  Rivera qualified academically out of high school so I suspect he wants to continue his academic career as soon as possible.

It's also possible the NIL has some impact here. With no idea what we are offering opportunity wise I am sure it is better than a JUCO. 

14 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Would it be ok if i choose a poster and take potshots at him and make snide remarks about him like some do toward Old GuY? it must be fun because a number of guys do it

I think they get points at the Frat House every time they do it. Big scoreboard or something in the Game Room keeps track. 

dennis_w likes this

4 hours ago, dennis_w said:

Would it be ok if i choose a poster and take potshots at him and make snide remarks about him like some do toward Old GuY? it must be fun because a number of guys do it

Hear me out here.

I can't give him a bad post rating anymore, which would partially solve this.

I've been posting on the board since 97. My post count, since 1999, nearly 25 years is about 6,000 posts. I'm a pretty prolific poster.

Oldguy has been on the board for 9 years. He has more posts than i do in 23 years. That in and of itself is not necessarily a problem.

The problem is his post content. He only posts on non basketball topics, in which he has insulted members of the board with impunity and broken multiple forum rules.

When he actually posts about basketball or any other sport his posts usually consist of 3 word affirmations like "we will see" or disagreeing with a point without defending his argument.

At the very least his inane commentary clogs up threads and breaks up actual conversation and debate. Even when he is on ignore i have scroll down on all his posts. The ignore feature is not intended for a poster who posts 20 times a day in every thread.

I've done my best to encourage him to read more and post less. It hasn't worked. I am certainly not one for limiting speech but I am for encouraging the forum to come together to convince a member to post less drivel, read more of the board, educate yourself on the topics and limit comments to pertinent conversation.

Oldguy has been posting on a basketball forum for 9 years. I don't think he could explain even rudimentary basketball nomenclature. I've been on here again, 25 years and learned a great deal from other posters about the finer points of the game. Oldguy really has no interest in a sport and a team in which he spends an inordinate amount of his free time posting about. There is no other way to put it, he is a troll. If he doesn't adjust his posting style or frequency he should probably be banned. I don't want that for anyone. I enjoy a free exchange of ideas. Oldguy contributes nothing. When he can make substantive posts than he should feel free to post more, until then just lurk.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Hear me out here.

I've been posting on the board since 97. My post count, since 1999, nearly 25 years is about 6,000 posts. I'm a pretty prolific poster.

Oldguy has been on the board for 9 years. He has more posts than i do in 23 years. That in and of itself is not necessarily a problem.

The problem is his post content. He only posts on non basketball topics, in which he has insulted members of the board with impunity and broken multiple forum rules.

When he actually posts about basketball or any other sport his posts usually consist of 3 word affirmations like "we will see" or disagreeing with a point without defending his argument.

At the very least his inane commentary clogs up threads and breaks up actual conversation and debate. Even when he is on ignore i have scroll down on all his posts. The ignore feature is not intended for a poster who posts 20 times a day in every thread.

I've done my best to encourage him to read more and post less. It hasn't worked. I am certainly not one for limiting speech but I am for encouraging the forum to come together to convince a member to post less drivel, read more of the board, educate yourself on the topics and limit comments to pertinent conversation.

Oldguy has been posting on a basketball forum for 9 years. I don't think he could explain even rudimentary basketball nomenclature. I've been on here again, 25 years and learned a great deal from other posters about the finer points of the game. Oldguy really has no interest in a sport and a team in which he spends an inordinate amount of his free time posting about. There is no other way to put it, he is a troll. If he doesn't adjust his posting style or frequency he should probably be banned. I don't want that for anyone. I enjoy a free exchange of ideas. Oldguy contributes nothing. When he can make substantive posts than he should feel free to post more, until then just lurk.

Sorry this is to harsh. While I agree he knows nothing about basketball he does have unique knowledge of other crap which sometimes helps a discussion. I sometimes think his lack of basketball and modern (sick) nomenclature is amusing. Lighten up. 

2010andBeyond likes this

28 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Hear me out here.

My father told me to be courteous and respect my elders and if he saw that i didnt he would have given a well deserved ass whipping. i think we should be courteous to all posters regardless whether we like them or not. i see shots taken at old guy that i quite frankly are petty and undeserved. class up and respect your elders, we will all be old someday

42 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Hear me out here.

You’re the definition of arrogance..  additionally one must ask if you’re too cognitively impaired to use the ignore function? 

dennis_w and HoosierPal like this

1 hour ago, willie said:

Sorry this is to harsh. While I agree he knows nothing about basketball he does have unique knowledge of other crap which sometimes helps a discussion. I sometimes think his lack of basketball and modern (sick) nomenclature is amusing. Lighten up. 

I just don't see the appeal. From a supposed medical professional his mexican ice cubes, horrible covid takes, and explanations on surgeries and injuries that copy and pasted from WebMD. Add in his personal attacks and he makes for a poor poster who is hardly above criticism. But to each his own.

almaman likes this

Of course I am real, I am old (76), and I am retired. I am an MD (Georgetown '71), internist (Georgetown '74). I spent 4 years after residency at Harvard doing immunology and Microbiology (2 degrees, MPH '75, MS '78 in lieu of a PhD). I spent most of my professional life working in insurance dealing with disease, life expectancy, and disability. I know statistics and probability reasonably well and can apply them reasonably well. During my medical training (1973?) I did a training rotation at the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) where I worked for a couple of months as part of a clinical team led by no other than a much younger Fauci, yes the one you have been hearing in the news. He did not impress me then and still doesn't. I also volunteered and did 8 years as an MD in a Army NG Infantry Division. While the troops trained, we, the medics, worked taking care of the heat shock or deep hypothermia cases, plus all kinds of odds and ends kinds of accidental trauma cases that happened during training. My division was the 26th ID MAARNG, and we were designated the relief division for the 10th Mountain, so we trained with them. Oh, and my division contained the oldest artillery unit in the US army, which was first created with the guns taken from Fort Ticonderoga way back when. Finally, I have traded the market since '72 and I am familiar with uses of AI in the market. I have also testified in court many times as an expert in disability and insurance.

Even the Mexican Ice cubes and disease are real. The company would send me to Mexico every year to speak to the Mexican insurers about life expectancy and disability. I suggest that, if you doubt the Mexican Ice Cube stuff, you should go to Mexico City to check out their tequila on the rocks and Margaritas. See what happens after you are there 4 to 5 days. If you want to go fancy in DF for lunch or dinner, I suggest the Hacienda de los Morales in DF. Do not forget to visit the pyramids of the Sun and the Moon near the city, and drink some more booze with ice cubes out there. The anthropology museum is also a must see. After you come back home go check the Cahokia mounds park and museum. It is amazing how similar the Mississipian culture and the pre-colombian Mexican culture remains and artifacts were to one another. Oh, and if you are closer to the Shiloh battlefield than to the Cahokia mounds, the battlefield park also contains Mississipian culture mounds and an exhibit of artifacts.

Sadly, the pre-colombian cultures had no basketball, but they played a form of ball game where the object was to pass a rubber ball through a vertical hole high in a stone pole. Winners won, and I believe the losers were sacrificed afterwards. The last paragraph of this is included because this is, after all, a basketball board, so why not give some credit to the pre-colombian cultures from creating their own ball game version for sacrificial purposes.

So, yes I am pretty sure I am real, and have had a real life behind me.