Welcome, Daniel Rivera!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he’s 6’7” and 210 lbs. Here’s a short scouting report on him.

Daniel is a very lengthy and athletic forward and has elite blocking ability due to his timing and length. He is vertically explosive on offense or in transition. He is developing his perimeter game, including his jump shot and his change of speed and direction off the bounce. Joins his older brother, Mike this season, who is also on the basketball team.

https://www.wranglersports.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/bios/rivera_daniel_vdm2

Pistol likes this

This is wild.

Rivera was the biggest mystery in the 2021 class to me. SLU apparently offered back in 2019 along with Manhattan - and then silence for years. I didn't even know he went to Odessa. This was the offer/interest list from when I finalized the 2021 class:

Daniel Rivera - SG, 6-6, 185 - Bronx, NY (Our Saviour Lutheran) - Unknown
Offers: Saint Louis, Manhattan, Bryant. Interest: Louisiana-Monroe.

And this is original bio from September 2019:

Daniel Rivera - SG, 6-4, 160 - Bronx, NY (Our Saviour Lutheran)
Offers: Saint Louis, Manhattan.

Interest: TBD.

Latest News: Rivera received an offer from SLU. (9/16/19)

Scouting Report: Rivera is a strong, athletic guard who plays above the rim. He has the ability to step out and shoot it and is most effective from the top of the key. He rebounds his position extremely well. He plays very hard and is an unselfish team-oriented player. (I've still got work to do with regard to Rivera, who has the lethal combination of a common name and no social media presence.)

But I never was able to fill out more for Rivera. He'd show up in OSL box scores from time to time - they play in the Grind Session national prep school circuit - but really hard to find anything about in general. I gave up on tracking him by late summer/early fall 2021 and missed that he went to Odessa, which must've been really late. It surprised me how quiet his recruitment was; in the few clips I watched back in the day, he had a good combination of size and athleticism.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is wild.

Rivera was the biggest mystery in the 2021 class to me. SLU apparently offered back in 2019 along with Manhattan - and then silence for years. I didn't even know he went to Odessa. This was the offer/interest list from when I finalized the 2021 class:

Daniel Rivera - SG, 6-6, 185 - Bronx, NY (Our Saviour Lutheran) - Unknown
Offers: Saint Louis, Manhattan, Bryant. Interest: Louisiana-Monroe.

And this is original bio from September 2019:

Daniel Rivera - SG, 6-4, 160 - Bronx, NY (Our Saviour Lutheran)
Offers: Saint Louis, Manhattan.

Interest: TBD.

Latest News: Rivera received an offer from SLU. (9/16/19)

Scouting Report: Rivera is a strong, athletic guard who plays above the rim. He has the ability to step out and shoot it and is most effective from the top of the key. He rebounds his position extremely well. He plays very hard and is an unselfish team-oriented player. (I've still got work to do with regard to Rivera, who has the lethal combination of a common name and no social media presence.)

But I never was able to fill out more for Rivera. He'd show up in OSL box scores from time to time - they play in the Grind Session national prep school circuit - but really hard to find anything about in general. I gave up on tracking him by late summer/early fall 2021 and missed that he went to Odessa, which must've been really late. It surprised me how quiet his recruitment was; in the few clips I watched back in the day, he had a good combination of size and athleticism.

So, is Odessa College a junior college or what?

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Looks like he’s 6’7” and 210 lbs. Here’s a short scouting report on him.

Daniel is a very lengthy and athletic forward and has elite blocking ability due to his timing and length. He is vertically explosive on offense or in transition. He is developing his perimeter game, including his jump shot and his change of speed and direction off the bounce. Joins his older brother, Mike this season, who is also on the basketball team.

https://www.wranglersports.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/bios/rivera_daniel_vdm2

• gp 34
  • pts/g 9.2
  • fg % 57.5
  • 3pt % 15.8  (3 of 19)
  • ft % 59.5
  • reb/g 4.4
  • a/g 1.5
    These are his freshman stats from the link provided by Radioboy.  Draw your own conclusions.

Just now, HoosierPal said:
  • gp 34
  • pts/g 9.2
  • fg % 57.5
  • 3pt % 15.8
  • ft % 59.5
  • reb/g 4.4
  • a/g 1.5
    These are his freshman stats from the link provided by Radioboy.  Draw your own conclusions.

Some context: 

1. Those averages were achieved in an average of 21 minutes per game.

2. Balanced attack, as he was one of three all-conference players on the team...and has another season of JUCO to play.

3. Team was ranked 8th in the nation, losing their final game in NJCAA tourney to Salt Lake, which lost in the title game.

DOC and almaman like this

A few other notes: Odessa was 16-0 in conference, 28-7 overall. Salt Lake was the top team in NJCAA D-I last season, although they didn't up winning a title.

Rivera was 3-19 from 3, to put his percentage in context. He just doesn't shoot it much from outside.

10 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

Don’t believe everything you read on Twitter. The timing of this recruits arrival will surprise us.

Seems like you are hinting in the next week or in Jan rather than in the 2023 class.  Correct?

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Stu just confirmed it is for this year.

no reason as to why I thought that felt weird, but this type of recruit seemed like a late add for this class more than for 2023 recruit

I'm all about filling all the scholarship, but really curious what kind of role if any he could play this year. Maybe a defensive stopper at the 4?  Dayton's frontcourt poses a match-up problem, perhaps he could come in handy in a game like that. Competition for playing time on a roster is a good thing!