You have to be kidding me VCU

CBFan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

from researchers at the University of Arizona Dept of Geosciences.  The warming from the last ice age ended about 6-8 thousand years ago. The recent increase over the last 100 years is spiking at a higher rate than ever.

https://news.arizona.edu/story/global-temperatures-over-last-24000-years-show-todays-warming-unprecedented

image.jpeg.e8253495133d1b24c1a03d9ca0eaca6c.jpeg

I am just going to talk about the graph above. Look at the time interval between measurements and look at the width of the track. The time interval between measurements 22,000 years before 0 is 2000 years. After 750 it becomes 250 years between measurements. You can have a hell of a lot of temperature variation in a span of 2000 years that becomes self cancelled (peaks vs throughs at the time of the measurement). You really cannot compare frequent measurement variation  to 2000 year span variation.

It is like market volatility day to day. Once you change the points of the curve to monthly or yearly the spikes up and down fade.

51 minutes ago, Old guy said:

If we are talking about climate change and the sea level rising, then areas that are not likely to flood now may well be likely to flood. Look at it this way, Obama bought a large waterfront estate in Martha's Vineyard. Does he really think the water level will rise? Just asking.

thinking the same thing old guy, maybe obama knows something the rest of us dont

billiken_roy and HenryB like this

5 hours ago, Old guy said:

I am just going to talk about the graph above. Look at the time interval between measurements and look at the width of the track. The time interval between measurements 22,000 years before 0 is 2000 years. After 750 it becomes 250 years between measurements.

The x-axis is only labeling every so many years, but the measurements are NOT only taken on the years that the measurements are from.  THe labeled years are just for ease of reading (I would assume), but the measurements are taken on much more regular intervals.

3 hours ago, willie said:

But if you live in an area that is likely to flood they won't sell it to u. 

That's almost completely untrue as I know only too well after the recent flash flooding in U-city.  There are a few coastal areas that aren't able to be insured by the national flood insurance program but those are nearly wet on a higher than normal high tide.

56 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

The x-axis is only labeling every so many years, but the measurements are NOT only taken on the years that the measurements are from.  THe labeled years are just for ease of reading (I would assume), but the measurements are taken on much more regular intervals.

lncorrect Lax. What you  are seeing is ice core studies from places like Antartica and Greenland. Apparently there are measurable differences in ice cores that can be related to ambient temperature. There is NO OTHER way to infer temperature differences that far back in time. The accurate measurements of temperature was not  achieved until the era of the  enlightenment (XVIII century), and the ability to accurately measure minor variations in temperature in a constant manner is a fairly recent discovery.

These tables are comparing apples to oranges (ice cores vs current methods to determine temperature), so that the comparison is inherently incorrect due to the different methods used. You do not have to believe a single word I say here, but this is what I found looking in depth at the articles. This is, of course the articles written while they were still making measurements, not just using models as is generally doine nowadays.

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Who likes vanilla ice cream?

I like chocolate, hopefully that’s not too controversial an opinion.

Getting back to our mocking of VCU (the original point of this thread), I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell them….

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I like chocolate, hopefully that’s not too controversial an opinion.

Getting back to our mocking of VCU (the original point of this thread), I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell them….

What’s wrong with strawberry?