CBFan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Wow, they DID fall for it…

"You just can't fix stupid"  especially if it works in the acct dept at a state school.  Which one of us would not have fallen for a scheme to send $470,000 to a bank in Nigeria?  Can you say none of us???

Old guy likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

"You just can't fix stupid"  especially if it works in the acct dept at a state school.  Which one of us would not have fallen for a scheme to send $470,000 to a bank in Nigeria?  Can you say none of us???

Interesting question you post. The answer should be none of us, but is it? I really cannot be sure.

Should we sell one of the Mississippi River bridges to VCU and tell them they can build a toll booth to accumulate riches for their butifull arena?

Wow. Can’t believe it. One would think a $470k payment could not be authorized by a lower level accts payable clerk alone. More likely it would have to be approved by a higher level manager. And what American construction company would want payment in crypto and sent to a foreign bank? 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Wow. Can’t believe it. One would think a $470k payment could not be authorized by a lower level accts payable clerk alone. More likely it would have to be approved by a higher level manager. And what American construction company would want payment in crypto and sent to a foreign bank? 

especially Nigeria poster state for internet fraud. If you try to sell a bridge use some other name than Brooklyn.

The biggest thing that surprised me about the article is that there is insurance for this sort of thing.  The article said that VCU recovered most of the money it lost from insurance.  Really?  A university can insure its employees against stupidity?  🤔

bauman likes this

29 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The biggest thing that surprised me about the article is that there is insurance for this sort of thing.  The article said that VCU recovered most of the money it lost from insurance.  Really?  A university can insure its employees against stupidity?  🤔

It would be covered under a cyber security policy, basically a rider to their larger commercial policy. These haven't been around all that long and you'd be surprised how few large organizations opt for this coverage.

They might not have the smartest people at every desk in the school, but they have a good insurance agent.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

It would be covered under a cyber security policy, basically a rider to their larger commercial policy. These haven't been around all that long and you'd be surprised how few large organizations opt for this coverage.

They might not have the smartest people at every desk in the school, but they have a good insurance agent.

Insurance protection is an interesting business, they emphasize marketing and sometimes they get hurt by claims when their estimates are incorrect.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Insurance protection is an interesting business, they emphasize marketing and sometimes they get hurt by claims when their estimates are incorrect.

It actually amazes me at how good the industry is at managing risk even with all the natural disaster’s we are seeing due to global warming. 

54 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Vomit........It's always weather when it doesn't prove your case......

50 years ago the climate experts said a new ice age was coming and we would all freeze to death, followed by ozone depletion, acid rain and warming now, why are we not all dead?

You can insure just about anything that people want to buy insurance for. It is just a matter of estimating the real risk vs the perceived risk. For example take flood insurance. There are well determined flood plains around rivers etc but there are levies and other protections against floods that lower the risk to some degree. Also just because an area is denominated as a flood plain, it does not mean that every portion of that flood plain has the same exact risk of being flooded. With that in mind you can approximate the real risk of having a given property located in a flood plain actually getting flooded. This allows the company to price a plan that will provide adequate protection and a high likelihood of recurrent profits (ie, the property not getting flooded). Pricing is the key, if your property floods every year, probably you will not be able to afford the flood insurance, if the property has flooded only occasionally you can get full protection relatively cheaply.

34 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You can insure just about anything that people want to buy insurance for. It is just a matter of estimating the real risk vs the perceived risk. For example take flood insurance. There are well determined flood plains around rivers etc but there are levies and other protections against floods that lower the risk to some degree. Also just because an area is denominated as a flood plain, it does not mean that every portion of that flood plain has the same exact risk of being flooded. With that in mind you can approximate the real risk of having a given property located in a flood plain actually getting flooded. This allows the company to price a plan that will provide adequate protection and a high likelihood of recurrent profits (ie, the property not getting flooded). Pricing is the key, if your property floods every year, probably you will not be able to afford the flood insurance, if the property has flooded only occasionally you can get full protection relatively cheaply.

Well, let’s say that I want to insurance against general stupidity in all things? Is that just about $20k?

I have no idea what the premium would be. However, I can assure you that the term "general stupidity in all things" and the damages caused by said "general stupidity in all things" would be defined in the policy in the most iron clad manner that could be put together by company policy writers. This would make collection of damages very difficult.

Take something simpler, disability, what is disability? Can you define the term?

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have no idea what the premium would be. However, I can assure you that the term "general stupidity in all things" and the damages caused by said "general stupidity in all things" would be defined in the policy in the most iron clad manner that could be put together by company policy writers. This would make collection of damages very difficult.

Take something simpler, disability, what is disability? Can you define the term?

Ok. So, today, I asked a person what the cost of insuring jet ski’s is yearly, and I was told that a 9M policy was 22k per year. My new theory is that this person described the cost of general stupidity! Ha!

But seriously, if we want to dig into the depths, is there really a better example?  

Jet ski's are machines I have never used or seen in operation, I have only seen them in videos. They are fast, the people on them are unprotected with the exception of floats and they cross and criss cross one another and tend to do wild things very fast. They are like aquatic motorcycles doing wheelies. You can call this "general stupidity," they probably call this "entertainment." They look to me as safe as snow boards doing jumps and tricks.

The high insurance rate is probably due to what very high rates of accidents and injuries. Another sport, activty, whatever you want to call is with an abnormally high associated mortality, is private plane flying. If the jet ski policies cover injuries, death, and liability for injury to others, particularly while intoxicated, then you get the idea that a lot of these jet ski drivers might not even be offered insurance. Those that get insured are probably those with a low or lack of prior accidents or injuries.

Defining disability is NOT easy, and each policy issuer has different definitions for the term that rule compensation. In reality there is no generally accepted "disabiltiy," what is there are limitations to normal function which may render individuals unqualified for doing certain jobs. For example, if you are legally blind you cannot drive a truck.