SLU Attendance Discussion

wgstl

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

This is a chicken and an egg problem. If attendance is low and continues low the concessions have to raise prices or close. There is demand for getting a concession inside an arena when the attendance is high, not when it is low. Once attendance is high there can be more variety and better prices. As long as the attendance stays low, you are going to be offered high prices and little variety. Concessions do not stay open unless they make money.

Is the egg the concessions or attendance?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

Even the Yankees series. I mean, ya it was packed.  But no, it was not more packed than the dozens of playoff games Ive been too, nor the All star game. Wasn't even that close.  So it has to be tickets purchased. 

they saiid Saturday was biggest crowd history of Busch 3

38 minutes ago, almaman said:

they saiid Saturday was biggest crowd history of Busch 3

I was there Friday, it was as packed as any game I was ever at, including playoffs and the 2013 World Series. Heck, more packed than some early playoff games

8 hours ago, dennis_w said:

i would add that every game is televised, i live a good distance away and a weekday game gets me home in the wee hours, so i watch the tv and dont attend no matter how attractive the opponent

Not to mention you can stream it on an app. Something that didn’t exist in 2008.

28 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I was there Friday, it was as packed as any game I was ever at, including playoffs and the 2013 World Series. Heck, more packed than some early playoff games

The camera showed section(s) that were maybe 60% full.  While I was not there, the amount of empty seats visible at all times didn’t go well with what they were talking about 

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

The camera showed section(s) that were maybe 60% full.  While I was not there, the amount of empty seats visible at all times didn’t go well with what they were talking about 

What tv didn’t show was all the standing room only crowd back in shaded areas, and all people milling around inside the stadium getting concessions (incidentally, more internet bandwidth connected to the Point of Sale machines at Busch is needed, maybe something for Chaifetz to look at if everything is going no paper money). While some people maybe didn’t show after buying tickets, the place was packed.

wgstl and cheeseman like this

15 hours ago, SLUMS81 said:

Not a pleasant observation, but I know several people who no longer attend sporting events of any kind downtown because of fear of street crime in our fair city.  
 Some of these are SLU alums. They will watch a SLU game on TV, depending on the opponent.  
I wonder what attendance would be if the SLU campus were in St Louis  county?

Well, they can become Lindenwood fans then. SLU originated in the city and belongs there.

Do the “fans” in the lower level still tell others to sit down at any crucial point in a game? That also doesn’t help matters. You don’t want to get involved ? Then go to Buffalo Wild Wings, Piccadilly’s, or wherever and watch it on TV( I would also say they can watch it on their phones, but let’s be real here).

13 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

SLU should institute a policy where seat location is based on loudness and the amount of SLU chauchkie you are wearing. It would be a game changer.

Tongue in cheek I know. But I love the outside the box thinking. People would start competing to sit in better seats, could be wild.

31 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Do the “fans” in the lower level still tell others to sit down at any crucial point in a game? That also doesn’t help matters. You don’t want to get involved ? Then go to Buffalo Wild Wings, Piccadilly’s, or wherever and watch it on TV( I would also say they can watch it on their phones, but let’s be real here).

First of all, piccadillys sounds amazing right now.

and last I’ve never heard been told to sit down. 

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

What tv didn’t show was all the standing room only crowd back in shaded areas, and all people milling around inside the stadium getting concessions (incidentally, more internet bandwidth connected to the Point of Sale machines at Busch is needed, maybe something for Chaifetz to look at if everything is going no paper money). While some people maybe didn’t show after buying tickets, the place was packed.

Didn't DeWitt take out a pretty huge chunk of right field upper deck seats a few years back, replace it with a large, open party area complete with bars, etc. with the plan to just sell a s-ton more SRO tickets?  Probably wrong (usually am) but I think the number of actual seats decreased after that conversion but number of total tickets may have increased due to more SRO. That's the only explanation I can think of for last week's crowd supposedly being the largest in Busch III history given the amount of important games the Cardinals have played there since 2006.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Didn't DeWitt take out a pretty huge chunk of right field upper deck seats a few years back, replace it with a large, open party area complete with bars, etc. with the plan to just sell a s-ton more SRO tickets?  Probably wrong (usually am) but I think the number of actual seats decreased after that conversion but number of total tickets may have increased due to more SRO. That's the only explanation I can think of for last week's crowd supposedly being the largest in Busch III history given the amount of important games the Cardinals have played there since 2006.

I believe the outdoor seating area at Ballpark Village are included in the attendance figures.  Many of the big games the Cards have played at Busch III predated the construction of BPV, so that could be a factor.

14 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I believe the outdoor seating area at Ballpark Village are included in the attendance figures.  Many of the big games the Cards have played at Busch III predated the construction of BPV, so that could be a factor.

Good call. That makes sense. 

Wow, Phase I didn't open until 2014.

I agree with a lot of what has been said. 

There is a general decline across college basketball. 

No one is excited about any A10 opponent besides maybe Dayton. 

Concessions prices have jumped the shark. It is amazing what attendance does when schools have done "dollar hot dog night" or "free beer thursday" type promotions. Like others have said, SLU contracting with someone to run concessions doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility with that. 

If announced attendance is 5500, that means asses in the seats is probably 4000 or less. That is...not good. 

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Yeah, that’s now a bar type area, some tables and standing room places. They did it on the cheap, and if the sun is shining you are in it and staring into it at the start of a game. You seldom see anyone in there. It is on the right field side of the stadium, near the top. Had to be the least desirable seats in Busch III by far.

31 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

No one is excited about any A10 opponent besides maybe Dayton. 

again, i blame Brenda for not fighting to overcome this.   weak schedules, allowing weak programs in the conference establishing some minimums for the conference athletic department for all to meet or exceed or kindly leave the conference.  

what about working on a better conference TV package?

when the big east came about i am not sure the schools in it were much better then then what the A10 is now.   but you didnt see Dave Gavitt accepting that.   granted they had the benefit of partnering with ESPN in their relative infancy as well and that helped a lot, but the "woe is me we cant improve" is b.s. 

i like the make up of the conference and the geography considering the hodgepodge geography the big boys are becoming.   i like the areas that the schools represent for the most part.   there is no reason the A10 has to languish as a middling barely top 10 conference.  And if Brenda doesnt have the guts to be bold and improve what we are, we really should replace her.