Welcome Brock Vice! 2023 PF

3 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

They listed him at 6'7" 240#. I wonder how Brock's weight will change when he steps on campus. Does he cut some fat and lose a few pound or does he have room to pack on weight in muscle? 6'10" (with room to grow?) and anywhere around that weight is real dangerous from anywhere on the floor when he can shoot like he can. 

We know that Hassahn was solid muscle during his last year. Brock's weight in solid muscle could go higher than Hassahn's, he has the extra height to pack it in.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

We know that Hassahn was solid muscle during his last year. Brock's weight in solid muscle could go higher than Hassahn's, he has the extra height to pack it in.

I think there's a happy medium for Brock given the difference in his skill set. I wouldn't want him to lose mobility and athleticism for the sake of extra weight, but if we can have our cake and eat it too then I'm all for it. 

26 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

They listed him at 6'7" 240#. I wonder how Brock's weight will change when he steps on campus. Does he cut some fat and lose a few pound or does he have room to pack on weight in muscle? 6'10" (with room to grow?) and anywhere around that weight is real dangerous from anywhere on the floor when he can shoot like he can. 

You gotta believe with his Dad being a college offensive line coach, that Brock has spent lots of time in the weight room unlike many incoming frosh.

20 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

With a name like Brock Vice he's GOT TO BE Box and won approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah!  I gave him my seal of approval in the recruiting thread a few months ago.

It's the first step toward breaking the curse of Justyn Mutts.  

The Mandalorian - This is the Way - YouTube

CBFan likes this

I can see things going one of two ways ----- he can put weight on and be a physical presence inside or we can exploit his height and shooting skills to be that spot up four many of us talked about.  I think it would be best to have happy medium fit.  Cisse can man the low post section and Vice the mid- to spot-up range.  

Size around the A10 is not a real factor.  I only see Umass adding a bunch of taller guys left and right right now.  Davidson has Euro-types manning their front line.  Dayton has Camara and Holmes and I might suspect Holmes might be gone come next year.  Amzil and Amaefule are Euros.  Duquesne, Fordham, Geedubya, La Salle, Richmond and St. Joe's are all short in those positions.  Mason only has Oduro.  Loyola has a one-year rental in Bryce Golden.  Archie is getting some size at Rhodey.  VCU usually has undersized athletes.  And the Bonnies are a never-can-tell hodge podge that MIGHT work well under Schmidt as usual.  

I think Vice is a good start but we need more size going forward IMHO.

43 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Clearly,  he can shoot.. The biggest question I have is his ability to defend the post.  More specifically the speed to stay with his man and not foul. 

-I don't know if it's my biggest question but one that I have is how many times Gus calls him Lou Brock or Miami Vice?

It feels like we now have our 2nd and 3rd big heading into next season, but will likely land our starting big in the transfer portal. It's hard to say how many scholarships will be available, but we will need to add some experience, so thru the portal I could see landing one 5, one 3/4, and one combo guard.

Pistol likes this

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

It feels like we now have our 2nd and 3rd big heading into next season, but will likely land our starting big in the transfer portal. It's hard to say how many scholarships will be available, but we will need to add some experience, so thru the portal I could see landing one 5, one 3/4, and one combo guard.

I definitely see us going for a frontcourt player and a combo guard in the portal.  Vice is improving at such a rapid rate that he may still win the starting job but better to be safe than sorry. With Yuri probably moving on, we have the minutes available to a attract  quality combo guard.

I like our chances of landing a high school 3 in the fall.  With what we already have returning, it will be difficult to attract a quality 3 in the portal.  If we have a sixth scholarship available in the spring it'll probably go to a late bloomer.

I like everything that I have seen of Vice with the exception of his foot speed.  He has offensive skills around the basket.  He can shoot.  He appears to be able to defend on the block.  However, if he can't stay with someone he's defending or get up and down the court at a college level pace, he may struggle.  We have seen it many times before out of young bigs.  It's the quickness, or lack thereof, that makes or breaks them.

5 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Why would coach ford bring in an early recruit  that can not get up and down the floor? seems you can sign a big stiff at anytime why get one to sign early?

He wouldn't.  And Vice  wouldn't be able to go 14 and 10 in AAU without being to able to get up and down the floor.  AAU is all up and down.

dennis_w, AGB91 and SLURadioBoy like this

On 8/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, WVBilliken said:

So, always interesting to see the height spread on these high school kids.  I have seen his height quoted at a high of 6'11" to this piece on his commitment saying he is 6'8".  What do you posters think?  Hoping his height is on the "high" end.   https://phenomhoopreport.com/commitment-alert-2023-brock-vice-commits-to-saint-louis/

Cinder blocks do not lie. Eleven cinder blocks equal a height of roughly 6.989’. So, basically, this is a joke because any number of things in these calculations could be way off. With that little gap to the last cinder block being an inch, he could be maybe 6’10”.

image.thumb.png.3b4782c97e0df720b73146bef3701b30.png

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I like everything that I have seen of Vice with the exception of his foot speed.  He has offensive skills around the basket.  He can shoot.  He appears to be able to defend on the block.  However, if he can't stay with someone he's defending or get up and down the court at a college level pace, he may struggle.  We have seen it many times before out of young bigs.  It's the quickness, or lack thereof, that makes or breaks them.

if he had foot speed too, he'd probably be going to duke or villanova

SLU_Nick likes this

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 1:04 PM, cgeldmacher said:

The video posted today by Ankiel show just how out of line your comments are, writing off the young man based on a video you thinks disqualifies him from being a great addition to the Bills.  Wen shouldn't be writing a young man off before he even gets here.  Also, I guess this answers the question of do players, recruits and their families read Billikens.com. .