Welcome Brock Vice! 2023 PF

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

So, always interesting to see the height spread on these high school kids.  I have seen his height quoted at a high of 6'11" to this piece on his commitment saying he is 6'8".  What do you posters think?  Hoping his height is on the "high" end.   https://phenomhoopreport.com/commitment-alert-2023-brock-vice-commits-to-saint-louis/

Those 6'8" quotes are from July 2020.

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Great pick up, even greater name! Brock Vice….a very Karl Hungus-esque name.

The name gives you options…

Miami Vice theme after made threes?

Giant pictures of Vice Grips? 

Plus he looks like a valuable player.

Vice was excellent this AAU season. As others already pointed out, top five in scoring efficiency, which is remarkable given how much 3-point shooting he's doing now. Averaged about 13 and 10. But what really stands out to me is his development since we first got involved. He looks like a totally different player this spring/summer. Totally built out his offensive game, has gotten in leaner, stronger shape, moves better. We got this kid at the right time, just as bigger programs were starting to come on stronger to try and line him up as a spring option.

His dad is the offensive line coach at Virginia Tech and played football at Oklahoma State. I don't think Brock plays football anymore.

cgeldmacher and Zink like this

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Vice was excellent this AAU season. As others already pointed out, top five in scoring efficiency, which is remarkable given how much 3-point shooting he's doing now. Averaged about 13 and 10. But what really stands out to me is his development since we first got involved. He looks like a totally different player this spring/summer. Totally built out his offensive game, has gotten in leaner, stronger shape, moves better. We got this kid at the right time, just as bigger programs were starting to come on stronger to try and line him up as a spring option.

His dad is the offensive line coach at Virginia Tech and played football at Oklahoma State. I don't think Brock plays football anymore.

Sorry if I missed it somewhere else, but which schools were getting involved?

31 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Sorry if I missed it somewhere else, but which schools were getting involved?

SLU was his third offer back in October. UCA and Tennessee Tech were the two before that.

Radford offered in April, Jacksonville in May, Belmont in June.

Then in July he got (in chronological order): ETSU, Tulsa, Appalachian State, VCU, Kennesaw State, Chattanooga, Washington State, and Evansville.

And those are just the offers. Many more were showing interest, including 6 other A10 schools (mostly the good ones), a couple schools each from the Big East, Big Ten, ACC, SEC, and Pac 12, West Virginia from the Big 12, Memphis was finally starting to take a look along with more from the American and MVC, he had a couple Ivies sniffing around, and then tons of schools from the one-bid leagues.

When I saw Belmont at the end of June and then Tulsa and VCU within a couple weeks of that, then Washington State a couple weeks later, combined with the amount of other schools starting to show interest, it was clear that things were picking up for him in a major way.

But as @3star_recruit said recently, for guys outside the top 100 or so, power conference schools mostly are just going to string them along until the spring and then offer them after their transfer/top-100 targets fall through. The 3-star level players in 2023 seem to be committing early. They've probably seen enough of their older HS and AAU teammates dealing with uncertainty way too long into the cycle to want to go through that themselves.

BilliesBy40 and Coach314 like this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

This guy is built like a rock, good hands, shoots the trey and nice footwork under the basket. Vice at the 4 can draw opposing defenders outside to clear room for Momo in the lane.  No doubt Medley knows how to find the open man. Long-term future looking bright. 

Those three, plus up to another two years of Gibby...that's a pretty damn good core to build around. Kramer, Thames, Parker in the mix. It's real early for me to be so confident in what we have on the roster but here I am. 

16 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Those three, plus up to another two years of Gibby...that's a pretty damn good core to build around. Kramer, Thames, Parker in the mix. It's real early for me to be so confident in what we have on the roster but here I am. 

If you're anything like me you're confident in Coach Ford's ability to construct a roster.  We'll get our share of freshmen in the fall and hit the transfer portal for a couple of starters in the spring.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you're anything like me you're confident in Coach Ford's ability to construct a roster.  We'll get our share of freshmen in the fall and hit the transfer portal for a couple of starters in the spring.

I'd like to think we already have our starting 5 on the roster but I also don't mind improving upon that. Between Thames, Kramer, Cisse, Medley, Vice, Parker, Jimerson, and maybe Hargrove, Thatch, and even others...Maybe we need a more experienced front court man but that seems like a crew that can compete from the jump. 

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

I'd like to think we already have our starting 5 on the roster but I also don't mind improving upon that. Between Thames, Kramer, Cisse, Medley, Vice, Parker, Jimerson, and maybe Hargrove, Thatch, and even others...Maybe we need a more experienced front court man but that seems like a crew that can compete from the jump. 

But that's also assuming a lot of development from this year's newcomers and immediate production from next year's freshman. So maybe I'm drunk on the blue kool aid. 

24 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

And LHJ 

41 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

But that's also assuming a lot of development from this year's newcomers and immediate production from next year's freshman. So maybe I'm drunk on the blue kool aid. 

I hear you.  I've drank more than my share of kool-aid over the years.  But realistically, this year's freshmen are in roster spots 10-13 so they won't be playing much.  Doesn't mean one of them won't earn a starting spot next year.  However, they will have to beat out a proven transfer.

7 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Has was 240 pounds, but I don’t believe he was taller than 6’7”.

They listed him at 6'7" 240#. I wonder how Brock's weight will change when he steps on campus. Does he cut some fat and lose a few pound or does he have room to pack on weight in muscle? 6'10" (with room to grow?) and anywhere around that weight is real dangerous from anywhere on the floor when he can shoot like he can.