SLUBillikens Podcast: Travis Ford

Podcast

Nice crisp 18 min interview with Coach Ford. He hasn’t put must emphasis on the difference in the foreign rules over what is used by the NCAA. Ball is different, 3 point line is different and goal tending rule is different. 

He doesn’t expect to see much through the games. Plans on 3 different starting lineups and minutes will fluctuate for each player, each game. The new players may receive a large portion of the minutes. Coach knows what his returning players can do. 

A major benefit of the trip will be the bonding opportunity for TeamBlue. Most have never been out of the country. 

BuiltFordBills likes this

51 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Team Blue feels like the generic colleges used in movies like State or Tech. Because of that I refuse to listen to the above podcast. Next time just say Billikens, now get the f*ck off of my lawn.

Billiken state? Billikens Technical? You have a lawn here?

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Billiken state? Billikens Technical? You have a lawn here?

The answer is yes. Maybe more like a faux professional team in a movie though. Men, focus up, tomorrow night we have a tough one against Team Blue. While I do think the little nickname is really bad and overused, I mostly post when I see it to get folks worked up and hadn’t seen a post yet from 05 who is fighting the good fight.

23 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

In your opinon answer these 3 questions, I am trying to zero in on whether we are really that far apart on this issue.

You really think replacing Billikens with Team Blue in marketing materials is a good idea?

Is it cool?

Is it unique?

My opinion:

I think it's as simple as your casual St. Louis sports fan/ athlete thinks the billikens are small time. 

Team blue is kind of growing into it's own thing and being supported/ rallied around by local athletes, fans, ball players.

Billiken isn't as cool as you think it is to the casual demographic. As alum we like it but...

If you don't like whats being said about your product, change the name of said product. Basically where I'm coming from. Again just my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

My opinion:

I think it's as simple as your casual St. Louis sports fan/ athlete thinks the billikens are small time. 

Team blue is kind of growing into it's own thing and being supported/ rallied around by local athletes, fans, ball players.

Billiken isn't as cool as you think it is to the casual demographic. As alum we like it but...

If you don't like whats being said about your product, change the name of said product. Basically where I'm coming from. Again just my opinion. 

It is? 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

In your opinon answer these 3 questions, I am trying to zero in on whether we are really that far apart on this issue.

You really think replacing Billikens with Team Blue in marketing materials is a good idea?

Is it cool?

Is it unique?

I honestly do not think we are that far apart. I honestly respect your opinion and know that you are one of the biggest and best billikens fans and one of the most knowledgeable fans. I believe we can agree to disagree though. I believe this comes down to viewpoint.

My viewpoint:

- #TeamBlue appears to be Ford's expression for his team culture.

- Using this for marketing is obviously not unique and may not appeal to casual sports fans.

- However, marketing is important in two aspects: #1 attracting fans & #2 attracting recruits.

- Although it is obviously not exclusively due to the #TeamBlue marketing, recruiting (essentially marketing SLU to recruits) is at an all time high since we started using #TeamBlue. I believe that this is due to the culture Ford is creating and if using the slogan #TeamBlue works for Ford, I say roll with it. Also, recruiting at an all time high is good for marketing to casual sports fans.

Is it cool? How would I know... I was never cool...

Is it unique... no but I think it is working.

I personally dont love the phrase #TeamBlue, but this would not be the hill I would die on. 

Also... I think it's a bit extreme to not listen to an entire podcast because they use the phrase #TeamBlue. I also think it's inappropriate to say "get the f off my lawn," which is why I posted bad post. (In hindsight, get the f off my lawn may have been sarcasm and if so i apologize for my use of bad post) I do not disagree with the part of the post comparing it to generic colleges in movies like State or Tech.

I have no intention of arguing with anyone.

6 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I honestly do not think we are that far apart. I honestly respect your opinion and know that you are one of the biggest and best billikens fans and one of the most knowledgeable fans. I believe we can agree to disagree though. I believe this comes down to viewpoint.

My viewpoint:

- #TeamBlue appears to be Ford's expression for his team culture.

- Using this for marketing is obviously not unique and may not appeal to casual sports fans.

- However, marketing is important in two aspects: #1 attracting fans & #2 attracting recruits.

- Although it is obviously not exclusively due to the #TeamBlue marketing, recruiting (essentially marketing SLU to recruits) is at an all time high since we started using #TeamBlue. I believe that this is due to the culture Ford is creating and if using the slogan #TeamBlue works for Ford, I say roll with it. Also, recruiting at an all time high is good for marketing to casual sports fans.

Is it cool? How would I know... I was never cool...

Is it unique... no but I think it is working.

This would not be the hill I would die on. 

Also... I think it's a bit extreme to not listen to an entire podcast because they use the phrase #TeamBlue. I also think it's inappropriate to say "get the f off my lawn," which is why I posted bad post. (In hindsight, get the f off my lawn may have been sarcarm and if so i apologize for my use of bad post) I do not disagree with the part of the post comparing it to generic colleges in movies like State or Tech.

I have no intention of arguing with anyone.

This isn’t the hill you would die on? Have you experienced the off-season before? We need drama, excitement. We need to fight over the finite details of Billikenism. Unless there is a shiny object, like an open practice or a commitment, I say Let’s Go Team Blue (#LGTB)!

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that the finer details of marketing is the biggest current MBM complaint indicates how well the program is doing.  Reminds me of when Cardinal fans were going apesh## over La Russa's substitution patterns in the midst of a Redbird Renaissance.

good observation.

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

The only people who should use team blue are Ford, the coaching staff and the players.  

I agree with this. 
It might pop up on social media every once in awhile but I’m not hearing it anywhere else. Maybe I don’t notice it but I don’t hear it on local sports talk or any of the local news shows. Nobody I know uses it when the team comes up in conversation.

The most I see of it is people arguing about it on this board.

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that the finer details of marketing is the biggest current MBM complaint indicates how well the program is doing.  Reminds me of when Cardinal fans were going apesh## over La Russa's substitution patterns in the midst of a Redbird Renaissance.

You're right that is true. That's part of my concern. I was born and raised a Billiken, I attended SLU as a Billiken. The Billiken is near & dear to my heart.

This is the best way I can try to make my point:

I see it like a flag pole. Right now Saint Louis MBB social media is the pole and they have two flags: Billikens and Team Blue. Right now they are treating Team Blue like it's the American Flag and Billikens as if it's the State Flag when it should undoubtedly be the other way around. I have no problem with Team Blue being incorporated along side Billikens where Billikens is the American Flag and Team Blue is the state flag. 

My stance for use in Marketing:

Bad Use: TEAM BLUE in massive font, tiny Billiken hidden in the graphic. #TeamBlue with no use of Billikens anywhere.

Good Use: Prominent use of Billikens with complimentary use of Team Blue.  Tweet: Blah blah blah filler filler filler blah blah blah #Billikens #teamblue

IMO: Billikens should come first, always.