Coach Ford on the Radio

Coach was on KMOX this morning.  He stated that they have a couple of players with small injuries and others that are a little under the weather (non-Covid).  They will be limited for today's open practice.  Mostly they will be doing shooting drills.  He hopes to have a full scrimmage at the Friday open practice.

He also said that the OOC schedule should/could be out this week.

He did mention is is a little concerned about the team's rebounding, saying Okoro will need to be up near 10 rpg, and also that Collins will need help in running the team.

They are 'studying' up on the venues they will be visiting in Europe. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach was on KMOX this morning.  He stated that they have a couple of players with small injuries and others that are a little under the weather (non-Covid).  They will be limited for today's open practice.  Mostly they will be doing shooting drills.  He hopes to have a full scrimmage at the Friday open practice.

He did mention is is a little concerned about the team's rebounding, saying Okoro will need to be up near 10 rpg, and also that Collins will need help in running the team.

Not to be picky but he said it would be great if Okoro could get up to 10 or 11 from last years 8. Was really looking for more help from everyone else. The trip sounds fantastic. Somewhat surprised it’s a first for Ford. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Okoro can do that easily if he can get more minutes by reducing his fouling.

2 hours ago, willie said:

Not to be picky but he said it would be great if Okoro could get up to 10 or 11 from last years 8. Was really looking for more help from everyone else. The trip sounds fantastic. Somewhat surprised it’s a first for Ford. 

https://24343.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY_SPORTSONASUNDAYMORNING_P/media-session/bf792f3d-7868-4a25-a3c8-f44961a8eed5/d/clips/4b5f9d6d-9214-48cb-8455-a73200038129/f322c401-27db-4b6f-b26a-a78e00b668f2/06c579c1-8af9-4eee-a660-aee3010639d9/audio/direct/t1659283249/Travis_Ford_Our_League_Has_Improved_A_Lot.mp3?t=1659283249

On 7/31/2022 at 10:53 AM, HoosierPal said:

He did mention is is a little concerned about the team's rebounding, saying Okoro will need to be up near 10 rpg

I was thinking concern about rebounding is not warranted because we didn't lose any super strong rebounders from last year's very good rebounding squad.  Nesbitt was decent, but Thatch and arguably Hargrove were better.  Jones wasn't very good so whoever replaces those minutes is likely to be just as good probably better.  Forrester looks just as good as Linssen rebounding the ball.

Then I realized we are adding pieces that should play a good chunk of minutes, but are not strong rebounders.  Rebounding has never been Perkins thing and surprisingly the same goes for Pickett.  Jimerson has never been a strong rebounder.  Some of this is by design / role, so those guys might be better than their stats show.  However a potential lineup of Yuri, Jimerson, Perkins, Pickett & Forrester for example seems likely to get killed on the glass.  However, managing the rotation to avoid such lineups shouldn't be too tough.

"Rebounding has never been Perkins think and surprisingly the same goes for Pickett"

They have historically averaged at least 3-4 boards a game, which is decent for guards. Pickett will be switching from SEC to weaker A10 competition, so that average could go up this season.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was thinking concern about rebounding is not warranted because we didn't lose any super strong rebounders from last year's very good rebounding squad.  Nesbitt was decent, but Thatch and arguably Hargrove were better.  Jones wasn't very good so whoever replaces those minutes is likely to be just as good probably better.  Forrester looks just as good as Linssen rebounding the ball.

Then I realized we are adding pieces that should play a good chunk of minutes, but are not strong rebounders.  Rebounding has never been Perkins thing and surprisingly the same goes for Pickett.  Jimerson has never been a strong rebounder.  Some of this is by design / role, so those guys might be better than their stats show.  However a potential lineup of Yuri, Jimerson, Perkins, Pickett & Forrester for example seems likely to get killed on the glass.  However, managing the rotation to avoid such lineups shouldn't be too tough.

I think rebounding is a little bit of a concern, but I do think Forrester will be an upgrade in that category over Linnsen. Look at Forrester's 2020-21 - shows he can be a strong rebounder. Thatch is a very good rebounder. I just peaked at Hargrove's production from last year, better than I thought. We were spoiled with the combo of Has and Goodwin for many years, but I also think Ford does a good job of really making rebounding a point of emphasis as a team - everyone chipping in and blocking out at minimum. A secondary playmaker is my next concern, at minimum one more reliable ballhandler so opponents can't swarm Yuri, which is what happened at times last year and finally, I think our perimeter defense needs to improve over last year - this is one area where I think Pickett will help the most. The more I've read about him, they talk about his defense a lot, so I think this will be his greatest value to the team.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I think rebounding is a little bit of a concern, but I do think Forrester will be an upgrade in that category over Linnsen. Look at Forrester's 2020-21 - shows he can be a strong rebounder. Thatch is a very good rebounder. I just peaked at Hargrove's production from last year, better than I thought. We were spoiled with the combo of Has and Goodwin for many years, but I also think Ford does a good job of really making rebounding a point of emphasis as a team - everyone chipping in and blocking out at minimum. A secondary playmaker is my next concern, at minimum one more reliable ballhandler so opponents can't swarm Yuri, which is what happened at times last year and finally, I think our perimeter defense needs to improve over last year - this is one area where I think Pickett will help the most. The more I've read about him, they talk about his defense a lot, so I think this will be his greatest value to the team.

If Perkins returns to form and Parker is a creator like Perkins defenses will get scored on if defenses swarm Yuri.

Last season it worked because Yuri created for the other players because no one on the team stepped up for that role.

I was hopping Nesbitt would be that guy last season but Nesbitt did not finish when he created so swarm Yuri was a good defense.

ACE likes this

Rebounding is primarily a desire thing.  Yes you have to have some skill but every coach from as far I can remember says that if you want to rebound then you will.  Good rebounding teams have guards who help out so the guards are just going to have to stick their nose in it and we can be fine.  If they punk out then we could be in trouble.

Perkins just needs to average a rebound more than his previous season and he will be in the 5 rpg range.  Without the founders of Bully Ball Inc. vacuuming up all the rebounds that's totally doable.  Fred pulled down 5.5 rpg last year. And I'm comfortable with expectations of 4 rpg game from Pickett since he's moving down a level. 

I understand that it's Coach Ford's job to worry but we have a slightly better rebounding situation on the wing than we did last year.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Rebounding is primarily a desire thing.  Yes you have to have some skill but every coach from as far I can remember says that if you want to rebound then you will.  Good rebounding teams have guards who help out so the guards are just going to have to stick their nose in it and we can be fine.  If they punk out then we could be in trouble.

Ford’s teams don’t “punk out” - we are almost always the tougher team