International Trip Details?

3 hours ago, willie said:

I like saving a scholarship for that possible mid term transfer. 

I think we have enough firepower in the roster this year, plus Perkins played reasonably well during this tour (he is playing fine but he is likely to get better as the season progresses). These two factors make saving a scholarship for a possible mid term transfer a reasonable thing to do.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Bills were 17-37 from three yesterday, hitting 45.9%. Only downside appears to be turnovers with 18. 

Probably the result of playing up tempo, but an area to clean up definitely. Parker getting 27 is encouraging but I’m figuring the competition is equal to JUCO ball. 

The SLU Ath website says 27 a pierce for GJ and Parker and another 27 for Thames, Hughes and Jake F combined so those guys account for 81 of our 102 points.  This indicates to me that Perkins didn't play a lot so it seems logical that GJ and SP hit the great majority of 3 pt shots.  Since we hit 46% of our treys that it a great indication of how those two can contribute in 22-23.

I know, we weren't playing Duke or Kansas but I still like 46% against anyone and I'm sure The Wiz does also!.

With the game score, it was probably 40 minutes of a hectic pace so at this early stage of the season, I can live with 18 TO's  with one final assumption that Yuri was not in the game for over 20-25 minutes at the PG..

The trip seems to have accomplished what TF would have wanted, including team bonding with a slew of new players and hopefully no injuries.

11 hours ago, CBFan said:

Unnecessary post.

I have you on ignore and I should have not looked at your bizarre post, my bad.

Glad you set me straight about taking a swipe at Nesbitt that I did not take hall monitor.

Gotta love when some responds to a post to say they have someone on ignore. I have no problem with you, but found it strange to bring Nesbitt into the conversation. Have a good day. 

1 hour ago, bauman said:

The SLU Ath website says 27 a pierce for GJ and Parker and another 27 for Thames, Hughes and Jake F combined so those guys account for 81 of our 102 points.  This indicates to me that Perkins didn't play a lot so it seems logical that GJ and SP hit the great majority of 3 pt shots.  Since we hit 46% of our treys that it a great indication of how those two can contribute in 22-23.

I know, we weren't playing Duke or Kansas but I still like 46% against anyone and I'm sure The Wiz does also!.

With the game score, it was probably 40 minutes of a hectic pace so at this early stage of the season, I can live with 18 TO's  with one final assumption that Yuri was not in the game for over 20-25 minutes at the PG..

The trip seems to have accomplished what TF would have wanted, including team bonding with a slew of new players and hopefully no injuries.

I do like it.  We are shooting 43.1% from the arc in the 2 Italian games (no data from Spain).  That is not just A+  but a pace that would make The Bills the top 3P team ITN....Yes, I know it's exhibition but as I pointed out before it is still meaningful.  It is meaningful because these are the ultimate road games...The Bills during the year will never face a more difficult road trip than this one.  Time difference, travel, new environment, fatigue,  last minute stuff (arriving in Rome minutes before game time)...so many different variables...all which make it difficult to play your game.   Shooting 45.9% at the end of the trip is excellent even against a weak team.  Shooting 45.9%  on 37 3PA would be great at the Fetz in practice with no one guarding you. So yes , the 3P shooting is a good sign.

As for the 18 TOs, I wouldn't read too much into that.  When you are winning by 40+ pts you are not going to be playing your best players  or with the same intensity. Teams start to let up at 18+ pts. That is why wins of more than 18pts don't affect future spreads.

Bottom line... Bills will be a major 3P force. If teams try to deal with it,  things should open up closer to the basket.... A couple of months till UMSL opener...tick...tick...tick

Fraz likes this

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Gotta love when some responds to a post to say they have someone on ignore. I have no problem with you, but found it strange to bring Nesbitt into the conversation. Have a good day. 

I took the comparison as another local kid, similar size, tough defender, etc., who might actually stick around and pan out. Seems fine. 

White Pelican likes this

Nothing bizarre about CB Fan’s comment.  I’d say we expected more considering the star ranking Nesbit had vis-a-vis Thames.  And I don’t expect Thames to match Nesbitt’s numbers.  Just bring some consistency game-to-game —— whatever that will be.  Being the board police is a tough job especially in the subjective.

White Pelican likes this

Nesbitt's gone. Who cares? 10 steals is pretty impressive against a team that has probably practiced together quite a bit, although, I really have no knowledge about the Italian team.

As for the comparison to UVA and Drexel keeping them below what we gave up is a little like oranges to apples. Do you think the UVA fans are worrying about their offense when they see we scored 26 more points against them they did. I doubt it. We all know UVA under Bennet is all about D. I don't know anything about how Drexel plays. 

My guess is Travis let the team free wheel it in these games, but if he's worried about our defense, you can bet they'll be hard at work on it from here on out. Travis has always stressed D. More concerned about the 18 TOs than anything else. Not overly concerned as this is way too early, but there seems to be some sloppy play that needs to be cleaned up. 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I do like it.  We are shooting 43.1% from the arc in the 2 Italian games (no data from Spain).  That is not just A+  but a pace that would make The Bills the top 3P team ITN....Yes, I know it's exhibition but as I pointed out before it is still meaningful.  It is meaningful because these are the ultimate road games...The Bills during the year will never face a more difficult road trip than this one.  Time difference, travel, new environment, fatigue,  last minute stuff (arriving in Rome minutes before game time)...so many different variables...all which make it difficult to play your game.   Shooting 45.9% at the end of the trip is excellent even against a weak team.  Shooting 45.9%  on 37 3PA would be great at the Fetz in practice with no one guarding you. So yes , the 3P shooting is a good sign.

As for the 18 TOs, I wouldn't read too much into that.  When you are winning by 40+ pts you are not going to be playing your best players  or with the same intensity. Teams start to let up at 18+ pts. That is why wins of more than 18pts don't affect future spreads.

Bottom line... Bills will be a major 3P force. If teams try to deal with it,  things should open up closer to the basket.... A couple of months till UMSL opener...tick...tick...tick

U DA WIZ, can't wait til november

When do they get back to STL?  Are they spending some time now doing some more sightseeing?

When they get home can they continue with practices or do they have to stop for a period of time?

Sorry for all the questions.  Maybe someone in the BB office can answer.

There was a post earlier in this, apparently they got to tour Vatican City and St Peters Basilica today, and then free time around Rome. They travel back tomorrow, I think when they get back it’s the start of a normal Fall semester.

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

That is wonderful. Coach just defined #Team Blue. “What you have is pretty special”. “Don’t ever loose your attitudes, your character, the relationships you are building. That is so much deeper than wins and losses.”

SLUMedBilliken15 and bauman like this

On 8/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, Fraz said:

It shouldn’t be.  That said, I think it will be abundantly clear he’ll be able to hold his own when Yuri sits 

I'm sorry, but it is not "abundantly clear."  He has played in 3 games on a Europe trip against weak competition and all the MBMs could see was highlights.  How does that qualify, in any way, shape, or form as "abundantly clear."  I am very excited about Thames' upside.  I am also willing to admit that there is an outside chance that he may be ready to take over a role right now.  However, I am very worried that this board is turning this young man into the next in a long line of kids that are anchored with unreasonable expectations before he plays a single minute of collegiate ball.  Let's let freshmen be freshmen and let's let the coaching staff do what they need to do to properly guide a kid's development before we anoint him as any contributor before the season starts.

18 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm sorry, but it is not "abundantly clear."  He has played in 3 games on a Europe trip against weak competition and all the MBMs could see was highlights.  How does that qualify, in any way, shape, or form as "abundantly clear."  I am very excited about Thames' upside.  I am also willing to admit that there is an outside chance that he may be ready to take over a role right now.  However, I am very worried that this board is turning this young man into the next in a long line of kids that are anchored with unreasonable expectations before he plays a single minute of collegiate ball.  Let's let freshmen be freshmen and let's let the coaching staff do what they need to do to properly guide a kid's development before we anoint him as any contributor before the season starts.

There's nothing you can do about that.  MBMs are gonna be MBM.  Those expectations are more about not wanting to accept that we're taking a major step back after all these seniors and super seniors move on than they are about Thames.

But as far this year, expecting a good defensive guard with ballhandling ability to play 7 min a game are perfectly reasonable expectations.

Billiken Rich likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

There's nothing you can do about that.  MBMs are gonna be MBM.  Those expectations are more about not wanting to accept that we're taking a major step back after all these seniors and super seniors move on than they are about Thames.

But as far this year, expecting a good defensive guard with ballhandling ability to play 7 min a game are perfectly reasonable expectations.

Agree, about everything you said.  I think his defense will be ahead of his ball protection and distribution skills.  I definitely don't want people thinking I am not excited about Thames.  Perhaps my liking what I see is what leads to me wanting to be protective of him against the pendulum of emotions that happens on this board, especially as it relates to unproven freshmen who show flashes of brilliance that get MBMs salivating.

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree, about everything you said.  I think his defense will be ahead of his ball protection and distribution skills.  I definitely don't want people thinking I am not excited about Thames.  Perhaps my liking what I see is what leads to me wanting to be protective of him against the pendulum of emotions that happens on this board, especially as it relates to unproven freshmen who show flashes of brilliance that get MBMs salivating.

1st time he misses 3- 3 pointers in a row, the game day thread will label him as a waste of floor space, wtf ... is he even doing out there. Why can't Coach Ford just "coach him up" etc ...

cgeldmacher likes this