Road Trips For Away Games?

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

I believe the land you are referring to, located between the UD campus and the river, was once owned by NCR which was headquartered there. There was a beautiful carrillion located I believe on the side of the industrial plant, which I have no idea if it is still there or not. NCR ceased to exist as an independent company and eventually shifted their products from electromechanical products to electronic ones, before disappearing altogether. As the transition occurred this land or a huge piece of it was transferred to the University. They own it, I believe this is the case but may be wrong. The local yahoos resent the fact that they lost their high paying skilled jobs and had nothing to replace them with in the area. Dayton lost a lot of jobs and revenue. This happened elsewhere in Ohio like in Youngstown which still has not recovered from the loss of the steel industry. The same applies to Gary Indiana, and Alton IL. The locals in these cities tend to be less than friendly to outsiders which are still resented.

Carillon Historical Park in Dayton is interesting too featuring the aforementioned  Carillon and an original (I think) Wright Flyer among other exhibits. 

My wife and I try to go to one or two games a year. Living in Charlotte, we always go to the Davidson game. After a close loss in 2018, my wife, daughter and I went to a small, nearly empty bar/restaurant right next to campus. Within 15 minutes, about half of Davidson's team showed up, including Kellen Grady and A-10 player of the year-to-be, Peyton Aldridge. My wife and kid had the audacity to get selfies with all the players! I told them they should be studying.

Among others, we've been to VCU and Richmond. The Richmond venue is bigger and better. 

The best game we've been to in the last several years was the Seton Hall game. For one, the Billikens won. Also, we sat right next to Matt Doherty, who was very nice, and posed for my wife's selfie. At the end of the game we met Hashan French's mom; my wife gave her a big hug. The fact that it was in NYC area was a big plus.

Depending on the day of the week played, this year's Iona game look promising. The Hall of Fame Tip-Off in CT would be great also.

BuiltFordBills likes this

22 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Did y'all take the charter bus to Butler in December 2017? We had a large family group on that trip and despite the as$ whooping it was fun - I specifically remember that being the first game that Hinkle ever sold beer at. 

We try to make as many away games as we can but it all depends on the schedule. Last year we went to Memphis, we've been to SIUC, Butler, and others I'm surely forgetting. Looking forward to annual Chicago trips. 

We did the 2017 trip but didn’t do the bus.  We also did the Butler game in, I think, 2014 where Butler was ranked and we beat them.  That was our first trip.  The origin of our group trip was the fact that SLU had organized that particular road game for the fans.  I suggested to some guys that we go.  It became an annual tradition after that.

Since I have moved to SoCenPA, my road trips have become more challenging.  No longer available are the 60 to 75 minute drives to La Salle, Sgt. Joe's, Mason or Geedubya.  I will have to plan more and possibly look at overnight accommodations given the day of the week for games.  

As for league games, I have been to Mason, Geedubya, Dayton, St. Joe's, La Salle and Fordham.  This year, given the aforementioned move, I added Duquesne.  I will give props to Duquesne for their re-do of the Palumbo Duct Center.  The remodeled UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse was nicely done.  It is a much better facility than Gola, Hagan, the Smith Center, and Reilly.  Access is easy and clean.  I'll go back given the scheduling as much as I can.  It seats only about 5,000 but the Duquesne program is in such shambles, this is enough.  They can always go across the street to the PPG Paints Arena should such a crowd ever attent a Duquesne game.'

As noted, Mason is in the western suburbs of DC while Geedubya is right downtown in Foggy Bottom.  Plus the A10 tournament has played at the Capital Center a few times now so I am quite familiar with what's down there.  It is a great trip although weather can be tricky in February/March.  Lots of things to do in DC, simple transit system, but getting more dangerous as recent times show.  Going to Mason is like any trip to the suburbs.  

Dayton is an outlier for me. With access to a season ticket holder, we are usually fifth row, center court behind the broadcast team.  Plus he'sone of those guys with parkign access to Lot B.  Buying tickets outright there will send you to the 400 section and that's just not worth it.  

Few people go to La Salle games, adding to the dreariness of Gola Mausoleum.  Plus, La Salle is really in the crumbling section of Philly known as North Philly.  And I thought Temple was bad.  St. Joe's is on City Line Avenue, closer to downtown and seems much more of a respectable neighborhood.  Parking is usually done on the streets in both these locales which always makes me a little nervous when doing so.  Neither school has much in the way of hotels in the immediate area as far as I know.

Fordham was great.  Great seats of course, Dominating travel crowd.  But it was a [dead] year and we lost.  Saw the handwriting on the wall there --- up close and personal.  Last trip stayed in Times Square and trained up to Fordham.  Hope we get a weekend there this year to do it all over again.  Make it a weekend .... Broadway show and Billiken game.  Park in Seacaucus, NJ, and train in.  Then subway.  For the A10 at Bsrclays, same routine.  Impressed with Brooklyn.  Lots to do.  But again, major city full of unknowns at times.

Have also been to Newark/Seton Hall.  South Bend/Notre Dame.  Madison Square Garden/Va Tech.  Freedom Hall (before Yum Center).  Birmingham/CUSA tournament.  The Old Shoemaker Center (Fifth Third Arena at UC).  Heritage Bank Center (old Fifth Third downtown Cincy).  The old Markey Square Arena in Indy.  Old Hearns at Mizzou.  Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.  

I have Richmond and maybe Chicago in my sights to add to the above.  Ditto Iona although that is a Tuesday game and involves negotiating NYC.  Don't know if that can be done well.  

On 7/25/2022 at 8:32 PM, cgeldmacher said:

St. Bonaventure/Umass/Rhode Island - Never been to these places, and may not end up going to them.  I say this, because they are hard to get to.  Bonaventure is, infamously, in the middle of nowhere.  UMass is not near Boston and is actually closer to Hartford, although still over an hour away.  Rhode Island might be doable if there were easy flights into Providence, but I have never seen any from St. Louis.

Since I'm in New England now, I went to URI last year and plan to go to UMass this year. The arena at RI is nice, right on campus. South Kingston is a bit away from Providence, but if you're travelling in, you'll want to stay in Providence, there's not much in Kingston. I did go to a nice restaurant on the bay, though, in Narragansett. The RI fans literally just ignored me. No trash talking, no chatting. New England is a weird place

cgeldmacher likes this

Try to take any trip offered by the Billiken Club. Have been to SIU twice and Missouri State once that way.

Attended the Tulane game in Phoenix also. Was surprised at the end of he game when Coach Ford 

walked across the court and shook hands with my brother and I. Thanked us for being there.

On 7/25/2022 at 8:32 PM, cgeldmacher said:

St. Bonaventure/Umass/Rhode Island - Never been to these places, and may not end up going to them.  I say this, because they are hard to get to.  Bonaventure is, infamously, in the middle of nowhere.  UMass is not near Boston and is actually closer to Hartford, although still over an hour away.  Rhode Island might be doable if there were easy flights into Providence, but I have never seen any from St. Louis.

Since I'm in New England now, I went to URI last year and plan to go to UMass this year. The arena at RI is nice, right on campus. South Kingston is a bit away from Providence, but if you're travelling in, you'll want to stay in Providence, there's not much in Kingston. I did go to a nice restaurant on the bay, though, in Narragansett. The RI fans literally just ignored me. No trash talking, no chatting. New England is a weird place

Nope.  Literally can't get there from here.  There is no direct highway to Olean ---- it's all square .... I76 to I79 to I86 or I81 to I 86 and in both cases, there is a lot of non-sensical travel  ---- going too far east or west to then double back.  Olean can keep it's place as least possible A10 place to get to.

The direct route is 207 miles in about 5 hours over two-lane roads in central PA in the winter

Davidson is an easy trip for me,4 hours. Belk’s a decent arena and it’s never been packed. Get tickets thru Davidson AD. Fans are not belligerent. The town of Davidson is quaint small town south with good restaurants. I think Billiken Bill will back up this review. The only problem is McKillop has had our number, but he’s gone so maybe it changes. Planning on going to Auburn game as my daughter lives in Atlanta which is like a 2 hour drive away. VA games are a 6-7 hour drive from here, so I’ve been tempted but so far a no show. 

On 7/26/2022 at 9:00 AM, Bills By 40 said:

Did y'all take the charter bus to Butler in December 2017? We had a large family group on that trip and despite the as$ whooping it was fun - I specifically remember that being the first game that Hinkle ever sold beer at. 

Butler jumped out 24-6 and later led 52-13. Hinkle was cool, but not cool enough to enjoy an ass-kicking like that. I do remember their fans being great (caught them on a good day). Glad to hear they were serving, I’m sure the beers were flowing on both sides. 

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Nope.  Literally can't get there from here.  There is no direct highway to Olean ---- it's all square .... I76 to I79 to I86 or I81 to I 86 and in both cases, there is a lot of non-sensical travel  ---- going too far east or west to then double back.  Olean can keep it's place as least possible A10 place to get to.

The direct route is 207 miles in about 5 hours over two-lane roads in central PA in the winter

I was not aware of how difficult it is getting to Olean.

It depends on where you are driving from if you choose to drive.  Olean is only 2 miles or so off I-86.  If coming from the west you take I-90 to I-86.  From NYC you can take I-87 to NY 17 (the future I-86) to I-86.  From New England you can take either I-84 to NY 17 to I-86, or I-90 to I-88 to I-86.  Taj just happens to be in a difficult area to easily access interstates with a direct access to Olean.

10 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Butler jumped out 24-6 and later led 52-13. Hinkle was cool, but not cool enough to enjoy an ass-kicking like that. I do remember their fans being great (caught them on a good day). Glad to hear they were serving, I’m sure the beers were flowing on both sides. 

For very different reasons, but to this day I am very thankful I didn't have to witness that "game" sober 🙃 

majerus mojo likes this

Olean is literally the middle of nowhere on an East Coast where that is very difficult to find.  Some folks like that.  Let's remember, to fly there, the Billikens land at Bradford, PA.  

As for my experiences on road trips, Fordham is great considering all that NYC has to offer.  That includes games at MSG and Barclays.  Lots of shows, museums, sights, restaurants, etc.  Can't really go wrong in NYC but have not been back what with the recent uptick in crime and the like.  But any place is dangerous if you are not on your guard.  Fordham fans are relatively non-existent.  They've been down so long, I don't think they know how to heckle.  My favorite experience with a Fordham fan was encountering one wearing a "Fordham Crew" t-shirt.  Sculling in the East River says it all.  Rose Hill is tiny with little to no amenities but the sight lines are great and you can hear everything.  

The two Philly schools are almost night and day.  St. Joe's Hagan Arena was upgraded about five years ago but it didn't amount to much.  It's a bigger Rose Hill and most of the added seats went into the upper decks in both end zones.  St. Joe's is easy to get to off South City Line Avenue and the Schuylkill Expressway, just west of the downtown area.  Philly fans are knowledgeable but unforgiving.  St. Joe's fans will rag more on their coach and offensive sets than the visitors.  La Salle, on the other hand goes north on City Line into some of Philly's worst ghetto areas.  Way up North Broad Street.  Gola is arguably the worst atmosphere in the A10 and I have yet to encounter any real La Salle fans.  There are no end zone seats at Gola; the team bench side is all bleachers and the opposite side are reclining seats with seat backs.  But there is rarely anyone there.  None of these three fan bases have ever been confrontational in all my years of A10 attendance.

Duquesne fans are the same.  Wasn't the last time the Dukes made the NCAAs like the late 70's?  it's a downtrodden program.  Every year, Dambrot has at least 10 new faces.  Then they leave and it's start all over.  The fan base there is also beaten into submission.  But as noted, Palumbo/Cooper is a very small place to play.  If they ever get decent, it will be a pit of horrors.

Mason has a spanking arena out in Fairfax but rarely fills it.  I think Mason is mostly a commuter school so there i svery little in terms of atmosphere both on campus and at Eagle Bank Arena.  It's a school in the suburbs who embraces it's suburban sprawl atmosphere.  Fans there don't say much to the opponents either.  George Washington's SMith Center is nothing more than a larger high school gym.  The student section tries to get obnoxious and they do sit right behind the bench line in the lower section.  But not anything special.

Dayton is an anomaly for me because of where I get to sit.  I'm down in the front row with the high rollers and they are much more dignified and respectful as opposed to those in the upper regions.  They seem to be very cautious with us whenever we visit, almost scared.  But the smugness returns once they pull out a win.  The students are relatively confined to the Red Scare section and don't really migrate much.  We wear our blue proudly when there and it never really has gotten ugly since we vacated using those 400 level seats usually proffered by the SLU AD for alumni gatherings.   

Ignoring the fans, my best road travel places are NYC, DC, Duquesne, Atlantic City, and lastly Philly.  I'veonly been to Duquesne once now, but the South Side Flats, Strip District (not strippers!) and the Hill District are all interesting places I'd like to explore more.

I've seen the Billikens at the following road venues:

In the Midwest:  UMSL's Mark Twain Building (SLU won there in a 45-42 double overtime (as I recall) struggle during the early Rich Grawer Era), Western Hall in Macomb, IL (SLU also won there with Anthony Bonner, Monroe Douglass, Roland Gray in a game much closer than it should have been.  A SLU fan wearing a Columbia Blue SLU letter jacket, who had it with the officiating, bellowed at the refs:  "This is not Springfield vs. Peoria!"), Sprint Center in Kansas City (Win over Texas A&M, Loss to Kansas). 

On the East Coast:  Fordham's Rose Hill Gym (with Taj79, a debacle but great center court seats), Barclays Center (2 A10 Tournaments), DC's Capitol One Arena (A10 Tournament);

Out here on the Left Coast:   UCLA's Pauley Pavilion (close Cali Cuisine road loss in the Larry Hughes year, with the then retired Wizard of Westwood, John Wooden, in attendance), USF's then War Memorial Gym (now War Memorial at the Sobrato Center- SLU blew an 8 point halftime lead and lost to an inferior USF team), Santa Clara's then Toso Pavilion, now Leavey Center (Loss in Melvin Robinson's last game for SLU), Cal's Haas Pavilion (more big time California cuisine in a blowout loss), and the one SLU Win in California I've seen in person at UOP's Spanos Center in Stockton (a Win under Brad Soderberg with Ian Voyoukas at Center.  I was introduced to a former Billiken whose job was to guard Oscar Robertson).

I've been to road SLU Soccer games at SIUe, Quincy, USF-CA, Santa Clara, Stanford, and Cal.  I saw SLU Baseball play in a Tourney at Santa Clara, that included a loss to Michigan and a win over Santa Clara.

Band Legend likes this

45 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I've seen the Billikens at the following road venues:

In the Midwest:  UMSL's Mark Twain Building (SLU won there in a 45-42 double overtime (as I recall) struggle during the early Rich Grawer Era), Western Hall in Macomb, IL (SLU also won there with Anthony Bonner, Monroe Douglass, Roland Gray in a game much closer than it should have been.  A SLU fan wearing a Columbia Blue SLU letter jacket, who had it with the officiating, bellowed at the refs:  "This is not Springfield vs. Peoria!"), Sprint Center in Kansas City (Win over Texas A&M, Loss to Kansas). 

On the East Coast:  Fordham's Rose Hill Gym (with Taj79, a debacle but great center court seats), Barclays Center (2 A10 Tournaments), DC's Capitol One Arena (A10 Tournament);

Out here on the Left Coast:   UCLA's Pauley Pavilion (close Cali Cuisine road loss in the Larry Hughes year, with the then retired Wizard of Westwood, John Wooden, in attendance), USF's then War Memorial Gym (now War Memorial at the Sobrato Center- SLU blew an 8 point halftime lead and lost to an inferior USF team), Santa Clara's then Toso Pavilion, now Leavy Center (Loss in Melvin Robinson's last game for SLU), Cal's Haas Pavilion (more big time California cuisine in a blowout loss), and the one SLU Win in California I've seen in person at UOP's Spanos Center in Stockton (a Win under Brad Soderberg with Ian Voyoukas at Center.  I was introduced to a former Billiken whose job was to guard Oscar Robertson).

I've been to road SLU Soccer games at SIUe, Quincy, USF-CA, Santa Clara, Stanford, and Cal.  I saw SLU Baseball play in a Tourney at Santa Clara, that included a loss to Michigan and a win over Santa Clara.

Wait a minute..you're forgetting the Billikens loss at Loyola Marymount in the 2011/12 season. Bill's had just beat Oklahoma and were ranked in the top 25, and they laid an egg at Loyola-Marymount. We met as we we're leaving the gym.

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Olean is literally the middle of nowhere on an East Coast where that is very difficult to find.  Some folks like that.  Let's remember, to fly there, the Billikens land at Bradford, PA.  

As for my experiences on road trips, Fordham is great considering all that NYC has to offer.  That includes games at MSG and Barclays.  Lots of shows, museums, sights, restaurants, etc.  Can't really go wrong in NYC but have not been back what with the recent uptick in crime and the like.  But any place is dangerous if you are not on your guard.  Fordham fans are relatively non-existent.  They've been down so long, I don't think they know how to heckle.  My favorite experience with a Fordham fan was encountering one wearing a "Fordham Crew" t-shirt.  Sculling in the East River says it all.  Rose Hill is tiny with little to no amenities but the sight lines are great and you can hear everything.  

The two Philly schools are almost night and day.  St. Joe's Hagan Arena was upgraded about five years ago but it didn't amount to much.  It's a bigger Rose Hill and most of the added seats went into the upper decks in both end zones.  St. Joe's is easy to get to off South City Line Avenue and the Schuylkill Expressway, just west of the downtown area.  Philly fans are knowledgeable but unforgiving.  St. Joe's fans will rag more on their coach and offensive sets than the visitors.  La Salle, on the other hand goes north on City Line into some of Philly's worst ghetto areas.  Way up North Broad Street.  Gola is arguably the worst atmosphere in the A10 and I have yet to encounter any real La Salle fans.  There are no end zone seats at Gola; the team bench side is all bleachers and the opposite side are reclining seats with seat backs.  But there is rarely anyone there.  None of these three fan bases have ever been confrontational in all my years of A10 attendance.

Duquesne fans are the same.  Wasn't the last time the Dukes made the NCAAs like the late 70's?  it's a downtrodden program.  Every year, Dambrot has at least 10 new faces.  Then they leave and it's start all over.  The fan base there is also beaten into submission.  But as noted, Palumbo/Cooper is a very small place to play.  If they ever get decent, it will be a pit of horrors.

Mason has a spanking arena out in Fairfax but rarely fills it.  I think Mason is mostly a commuter school so there i svery little in terms of atmosphere both on campus and at Eagle Bank Arena.  It's a school in the suburbs who embraces it's suburban sprawl atmosphere.  Fans there don't say much to the opponents either.  George Washington's SMith Center is nothing more than a larger high school gym.  The student section tries to get obnoxious and they do sit right behind the bench line in the lower section.  But not anything special.

Dayton is an anomaly for me because of where I get to sit.  I'm down in the front row with the high rollers and they are much more dignified and respectful as opposed to those in the upper regions.  They seem to be very cautious with us whenever we visit, almost scared.  But the smugness returns once they pull out a win.  The students are relatively confined to the Red Scare section and don't really migrate much.  We wear our blue proudly when there and it never really has gotten ugly since we vacated using those 400 level seats usually proffered by the SLU AD for alumni gatherings.   

Ignoring the fans, my best road travel places are NYC, DC, Duquesne, Atlantic City, and lastly Philly.  I'veonly been to Duquesne once now, but the South Side Flats, Strip District (not strippers!) and the Hill District are all interesting places I'd like to explore more.

-Pistol, is this the same post as the one from yesterday morning? oh wait, it's Taj 

50 minutes ago, David King said:

Wait a minute..you're forgetting the Billikens loss at Loyola Marymount in the 2011/12 season. Bill's had just beat Oklahoma and were ranked in the top 25, and they laid an egg at Loyola-Marymount. We met as we we're leaving the gym.

That's right.  I had the flashback of memory when I saw the notice that you had replied to my post, and thank you.  I had temporarily/transiently forgotten my up and down drive to LA for that LMU game.  SLU blew a lead and lost that one too.

LMU's Gertsten Pavilion would fit right in the A10 (absent geography) with the walls at both ends.