Welcome back Will Bailey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Big Blue works for Kentucky. I am not sure why we are questioning the logic of the best recruiter in school history. But sure, you guys probably know what you are talking about. :)

Kentucky and the "Big Blue" moniker have been around since rah rah sis boom bah was a cool cheer. Kentucky makes Big Blue cool, not the other way around. Yes, I am questioning the marketing of a basketball team. Because I have more sports marketing experience than Travis Ford. If Team Blue is the internal identity and it works when it comes to recruiting and players buying in? That's wonderful, good for Travis. But Team Blue, the way it is used in marketing materials(yes that's what much of their twitter account is.) directed to fans, just isn't a good slogan/rallycry. It's not even okay, it's truly uninspired and unoriginal. Sh!t if you really want to get into cause and effect? I would say Travis as a personality is 1,458,874% better marketing to the public than Team Blue will ever be.

22 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Kentucky and the "Big Blue" moniker have been around since rah rah sis boom bah was a cool cheer. Kentucky makes Big Blue cool, not the other way around. Yes, I am questioning the marketing of a basketball team. Because I have more sports marketing experience than Travis Ford. If Team Blue is the internal identity and it works when it comes to recruiting and players buying in? That's wonderful, good for Travis. But Team Blue, the way it is used in marketing materials(yes that's what much of their twitter account is.) directed to fans, just isn't a good slogan/rallycry. It's not even okay, it's truly uninspired and unoriginal. Sh!t if you really want to get into cause and effect? I would say Travis as a personality is 1,458,874% better marketing to the public than Team Blue will ever be.

Isn't there a volleyball coach you can go rag on?  I mean Team Blue is the least offensive thing happening in college basketball or the NCAA right now........ pick your battles man...........

14 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Isn't there a volleyball coach you can go rag on?  I mean Team Blue is the least offensive thing happening in college basketball or the NCAA right now........ pick you battles man...........

I would say that the Billiken as a nickname and mascot is something worth going into battle for...........................................................

7 hours ago, brianstl said:

Just more money.  His base salary paid by SLU had to be under $150,000 because it is not listed on the 990.  His base salary paid by South Carolina was $241,000.

Scratch that.  SLU isn’t listing all of the higher salaries in the 990.  May and Tate aren’t listed and the are both making more than $150,000.  So Bailey might have been (probably was?) making more than that previously.  Bailey didn’t get an additional or better title at USC.

Team Blue sucks.

It is a team culture thing.  Coming off of Crews we needed a culture change.  It worked because Ford has gotten decent results and the players have bought in.  OTOH you could also say that is team blue that great of a culture?  We've had our fair share of numbskulls and deadbeats that Ford has brought in, multiple scandals and the like.  Is team blue really effective to begin with?  Maybe. Maybe not.

I could see recruits thinking that SLU is the Saint Louis University Team Blue.

To use it as a marketing slogan is lame and makes the school and mascot look bad.

Team Blue is simple and boring and unoriginal.  

We have the most unique mascot in all of sports.  A mascot that we have failed to capitalize on for decades.  

Team Blue cheapens the Billiken.  It pushes the Billiken off to the side.

The Billiken is THE BRAND of Saint Louis University.  Allowing the biggest sport at the school to abandon that brand for one of their own is nonsensical.  SLU has had a long history of shooting themselves in the foot.  Just when I thought we are past most of these things we do this nonsense.  Of course we still pay Guy Phillips so what did I expect. 

38 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Scratch that.  SLU isn’t listing all of the higher salaries in the 990.  May and Tate aren’t listed and the are both making more than $150,000.  So Bailey might have been (probably was?) making more than that previously.  Bailey didn’t get an additional or better title at USC.

Bailey was/is a veteran coach.  When Ford first made the hires on paper it looked like Tate was the 3rd Asst.  He had the least experience and was just a recruiter.  Once he quickly catapulted to the top spot I think the other two were not long for here.  With Tate at the top Bailey was somehow the 3rd asst.  Now he comes back and is clearly number 2.  Much better situation for him.  Now USC was in a BCS conference but he follows Martin to UMass, why not just go back to SLU.  He's lost the prestige of working for a big conference school.  UMass has nothing on SLU unless you want to mentor under Martin some more.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Besides the salary there is the matter of total compensation. Highly paid people get non salary compensation in many ways. For example increased matching payments to their 401k, separate accounts to accumulate the portion of the matching payments provided that surpass the IRS limit for matching payments. Ways to defer salary and invest the deferred portion of the salary until a later date. You can easily have someone with a $150,000 salary getting $250,000 in total compensation. It all depends on how the deal was structured.

13 hours ago, Old guy said:

Besides the salary there is the matter of total compensation. Highly paid people get non salary compensation in many ways. For example increased matching payments to their 401k, separate accounts to accumulate the portion of the matching payments provided that surpass the IRS limit for matching payments. Ways to defer salary and invest the deferred portion of the salary until a later date. You can easily have someone with a $150,000 salary getting $250,000 in total compensation. It all depends on how the deal was structured.

Those items are listed in the 990.

5 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Complaining about the branding that has helped bring in talent in a thread regarding one of the great recruiters in program history.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Agreed.......not saying I want to rock a "Team Blue" shirt on the weekend but it's just not something to get your knickers in a twist about.  It's not like we decided to rebrand as the Saint Louis Rams in order to better fit in with the A10......

40 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I've always been under the impression that mascots become popular after a team starts winning, not before.  If there are examples of the latter happening, please correct me.

Don’t tell that to Sammy the Banana Slug of UC Santa Cruz! 
He’s the most popular mascot around! 

slugcloseup350.jpg

On 7/22/2022 at 8:10 PM, slufan13 said:

I don't mind Ford pushing Team Blue within the team/program. I think its weird and lame when the fans and the marketing department do it. Not just because Billikens is a unique mascot but I just get a BFIB vibe

Love the use of team blue ..... and bet the players do as well.  Very cool IMO and takes nothing from the Billiken moniker. They can be both!

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Love the use of team blue ..... and bet the players do as well.  Very cool IMO and takes nothing from the Billiken moniker. They can be both!

You can't say this with a straight face. There's no way you absolutely believe this if you've been paying attention to anything on MBB social accounts.

thetorch and slufan13 like this

10 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I'm objectively correct here. When you're objectively correct, you don't waiver. How about this: we've had some of our best results under Ford but our attendance has remained pretty average. Does that seem like it's working as a marketing strategy to the public?

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm objectively correct here. When you're objectively correct, you don't waiver. How about this: we've had some of our best results under Ford but our attendance has remained pretty average. Does that seem like it's working as a marketing strategy to the public?

Maybe SLU should launch a marketing campaign with a renewed emphasis on the Billiken. It's sure to work.  

SLU's new version of its Billiken mascot as of September 2016

If the team feels united under the "team blue" mentality, then go for internally. But I'd still like to be the Billikens as fans. teamblue.com just doesn't have the same feel as billikens.com. But if we have to change it, then so be it