USC and UCLA to Big 10???

BLIKNS

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I mean, it’s not saying A school is attempting to block B, it just says they don’t want them, and I can see why. They’ll lightly ask the commissioner to not allow it, but everyone knows it won’t mean anything 

Then why bring it up? Not try too be a jerk, but it is usually mentioned as though it may matter.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Today's rumor

Florida reportedly doesn’t want Miami to join, Tennessee doesn’t want UNC, and Kentucky doesn’t want Louisville. Louisville brings in the second-most revenue among public ACC schools. Miami’s revenue isn’t public, but it’s estimated that they are near the top as well — plus they bring a hometown team in a huge market.

With these additions that will make like 30 schools in the SEC.  At this point they should just change he name of SEC to the NewNCAA…

3 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Then why bring it up? Not try too be a jerk, but it is usually mentioned as though it may matter.

What do you mean? It was quoted the post before mine, I just was saying why does Tennessee care what unc has to say - different states 

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Sorry, I didn’t look back to the post history. Still, people like to act lad though it matter.

Ya it’s becoming pretty irrelevant so not sure why it was quoted. But I just laughed at the Tennessee unc part 

Right now it’s a battle between the B1G and the SEC as to who gets the cream of the crop FB teams from their brother power 5 conferences. SEC gets powerhouses UT and OU. B1G then gets USC and UCLA the bigs from the PAC 12. And the B1G are likely the favorites for ND (the biggest fish in the pond). So, SEC  cherry picks the ACC. It’s all about FB at this stage. 
What is worrisome for us is when all the dust settles where do the premiere/ leftover BB schools end up, eg KU, Duke, UL. If this all comes down to where the two Gorilla conferences expand to 18 teams, where do the left overs go?  I could see the Beast offering a place at their table to schools like Duke, KU, UL, Zaga then bragging they’re the premiere BB conference in the land.And SLU’s beast dreams go down the drain.
Now, where that would leave the FB programs from those schools, I have no idea. Not a problem for Zaga, but it is for Duke, KU, and UL. Gonna be fun to watch so strap in for a wild ride. 
I think the best result for SLU and college hoops is we have only the Power 2 FB conferences and then the remnants. 

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Agreed. Texas A&M REALLY didn’t want Texas to join the SEC. Didn’t matter at all.

It's also so shortsighted by these schools, in addition to not really mattering anymore. "Now that we've secured a way to make more money, we'd really prefer not to have our most obvious regional rival play us every year, the one team that would drive the most interest among our fan bases. That would be terrible."

Where would we be if the NCAA had created a football championship for division 1 that they ran at the same time that they created the basketball tournament (1939)? It would have taken time for it to be considered a bigger deal than the bowl games, but like the NIT and basketball it would have eventually been the big deal.  With the NCAA firmly in control of the football championship, would we still be talking about all the conference changes? 

At a state school, the university president is as much of a political job, as it is academic/administrative.  Gotta keep the gov/legislators happy.  

As I see it, at the state schools, the gov/legislators are the only ones who can keep the status quo.  If they want to keep the status quo, that is.  

17 hours ago, Pistol said:

The whole "School A doesn't want School B" argument doesn't mean much anymore. Individual schools have less power as these conferences grow. Every other school in the conference will have tens of millions of reasons to overrule whatever school is whining about a particular new entrant.

It doesn't mean much when it comes to most schools.  It means a lot when it comes to Florida.  If the other SEC members and ESPN piss off Florida, the Gators can pack their bags and join the Big 10/Fox today.  Any member of the SEC is free to leave the SEC at anytime at no cost.  Florida is more important to SEC and ESPN than any potential members that Florida would want to veto.  Miami isn't getting in the SEC unless ESPN cuts a huge side deal that drops a ton of money into Florida's lap.

SLU_Lax likes this

13 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Agreed. Texas A&M REALLY didn’t want Texas to join the SEC. Didn’t matter at all.

Texas A&M is a less attractive program than Texas and that is coming from someone that hates the Horns.  Florida is a far more attractive program than any program they would potentially want to veto and Florida has a expanding Big 10 as an option.  It isn't the same situation.

13 hours ago, Pistol said:

It's also so shortsighted by these schools, in addition to not really mattering anymore. "Now that we've secured a way to make more money, we'd really prefer not to have our most obvious regional rival play us every year, the one team that would drive the most interest among our fan bases. That would be terrible."

When you’ve spent your entire existence getting ***** slapped by your rival, you tend to avoid them at all costs. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

When you’ve spent your entire existence getting ***** slapped by your rival, you tend to avoid them at all costs. 

I also think it would have something to do with recruiting in Texas.  A&M was content with being the only SEC school in Texas and selling that fact to Texas recruits.

The NCAA doomed its self when they gave the NCAA Tournament to CBS for pennies on the dollar.  The tournament is estimated to be worth anywhere between 2-2.5 billion a year on the open market.  The conferences won't let the NCAA do that again.  Probably some conferences will either be cut from an automatic bid or asked to share one.  This should see more money in SLU's pocket because the Big East or Atlantic 10 will not get the axe.  The tournament contract comes up at the same time the ACC Gor ends.  That's when things will get ultimately settled.  

There may have been many years ago, but the contract was recently extended for 8 years to 2032 without bidding by any other entity. It is this extension which is being criticized as potentially being a lousy deal for the NCAA by leaving tons of cash on the table. By the time this deal is over in 2032, CBS and Turner will have had the contract for 22 years.

1 hour ago, TJHawk said:

The NCAA doomed its self when they gave the NCAA Tournament to CBS for pennies on the dollar.  The tournament is estimated to be worth anywhere between 2-2.5 billion a year on the open market.  The conferences won't let the NCAA do that again.  Probably some conferences will either be cut from an automatic bid or asked to share one.  This should see more money in SLU's pocket because the Big East or Atlantic 10 will not get the axe.  The tournament contract comes up at the same time the ACC Gor ends.  That's when things will get ultimately settled.  

An easier way to do this is expand the tournament. Go all the way to 128 teams if needed by adding another weekend (the 4 play in games become 64 more games, played out over 4-5 days). Everyone keeps their automatic bid, but really it ends up as a lot more bids for big conferences, and few more for mid-majors, and really nothing for smaller conferences.  The money teams get would be based on how far they get in the tournament, increasing with each round and game your team plays.

13 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

An easier way to do this is expand the tournament. Go all the way to 128 teams if needed by adding another weekend (the 4 play in games become 64 more games, played out over 4-5 days). Everyone keeps their automatic bid, but really it ends up as a lot more bids for big conferences, and few more for mid-majors, and really nothing for smaller conferences.  The money teams get would be based on how far they get in the tournament, increasing with each round and game your team plays.

You wouldn’t even need to go to 128 teams. If you had 32 play in games, you then put the winners of them against the 1 through 4 seeds in each region. The rest of the brackets still have 16 total teams per region, with 12 of them sitting out the first weekend. This gives you 80 total teams in the tournament. The power 5 (or maybe power 2 by then) end up with more teams than they have now, the mid-majors maybe a few more teams among them, the rest still only their automatic bid as the 1 representative from that conference. Dividing up the revenue from a much larger total among the teams might still give more per team than the current contract, but the net effect is more cash to the Power 5 (or maybe only Power 2) starting in 2033 with the new contract.

11 hours ago, slu72 said:

But what happens if the top conferences say we’re no longer NCAA members? Are they signed up until 2032? Or are we in a PGA V LIV situation? 

I don’t think anything happens until 2032. Every discussion I’ve ever seen says the best thing that the NCAA basketball tournament has going for it is the Cinderella story line, of how any team can beat any other. The bracket makes for great betting too, which is also part of the future of sports in general. I don’t see how the Power conferences going off on their own will work, too many fans will not tolerate it by not watching. The TV networks will not give them more money for lesser audiences. What works in football to maximize revenue won’t work in basketball, and I think the big power conferences are smart enough to figure that out.

AGB91 likes this

6 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I don’t think anything happens until 2032. Every discussion I’ve ever seen says the best thing that the NCAA basketball tournament has going for it is the Cinderella story line, of how any team can beat any other. The bracket makes for great betting too, which is also part of the future of sports in general. I don’t see how the Power conferences going off on their own will work, too many fans will not tolerate it by not watching. The TV networks will not give them more money for lesser audiences. What works in football to maximize revenue won’t work in basketball, and I think the big power conferences are smart enough to figure that out.

I'm hearing B12 trying to poach some PAC-12 teams, AZ, ASU, UC and 1 other, I sing recall.  Also a rumor of AAC considering SMU (not well established but still out there).

Interesting times

16 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm hearing B12 trying to poach some PAC-12 teams, AZ, ASU, UC and 1 other, I sing recall.  Also a rumor of AAC considering SMU (not well established but still out there).

Interesting times

Help me out here - SMU is already in the AAC. What am I missing?

I think the fourth of the initial Pac 12 group to talk to the Big 12 was Utah (along with ASU, Zona, and Colorado). Oregon and Washington are obviously the top targets left in the league, so they're also rumored to be pursued by a conference or multiple conferences.

SIAP but sounds like Boosters will have to pay for 100% of UCLA's traveling costs to most of their road games when they switch conferences.  Something about Gov Newsom wont allow tax money to be used and spent in states that roe vs wade was overturned in.  USC is a private school so no issues with them.

While I think changing the tournament from it’s David v Goliath premise would seriously hurt college hoops and there would be a backlash from fans, if the power schools want it to happen they’ll find a way to get it done. They’re greedy SOB’s and want the lion’s share of that pot of gold.