USC and UCLA to Big 10???

BLIKNS

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

Ku has opened internal discussions about joining the BE in basketball only. 

I could see this then BE invites Zaga too. The one thing that might keep KU from jumping is that FB still rules the roost in college sports. It's highly likely the powerful FB conferences will take BB down the same path as the FBC, ie leave the NCAA hanging. So, the question for KU becomes will the power conferences invite a non FB conference to swim in the pool of money they're trying to create for their hoops programs? I think a more likely scenario is that the PAC 12 takes in some B12 schools, and they'd want KU for BB, even though their FB program ain't much. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I thought this summarized my exact sentiment. 

Unfortunately the people deciding these things only care about the money from ESPN and Fox. None of this is relevant in their eyes or judgement.

If the SEC poaches Clemson and FSU, the ACC will have to go after B12 teams; WVU and KU would make sense. Then the PAC 12 will pick over what’s left; OSU, Baylor, et al. I think when all the dust settles we’ll see 4 major conferences of 18 teams each. B10, SEC, ACC, and PAC 12. Then what happens is anyone’s guess. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

If the SEC poaches Clemson and FSU, the ACC will have to go after B12 teams; WVU and KU would make sense. Then the PAC 12 will pick over what’s left; OSU, Baylor, et al. I think when all the dust settles we’ll see 4 major conferences of 18 teams each. B10, SEC, ACC, and PAC 12. Then what happens is anyone’s guess. 

Why wouldn't it go the other way, the Big 12 poaching what's left of the ACC.  It's football we are talking about.  Schools like Boston College, Pitt, and Syracuse may get left behind. 

The current rumor is that Washington and Oregon follow to the Big 10.  Everyone is waiting for Notre Dame to get off the pot.  If that happens there won't be much left of the Pac 12 to merge with.

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Why not?  A few modifications are needed, but let's go!  Let the rumors fly!

That conference is terrible.  We should want no part of it.

That conference would get 3 or 4 bids tops every year.  We are better off in the A10.

34 minutes ago, thetorch said:

That conference is terrible.  We should want no part of it.

That conference would get 3 or 4 bids tops every year.  We are better off in the A10.

Would we be better off in the A-10 if all the other A-10 teams proposed for that super conference joined it?

The realignment going on among the power 5 conferences has everything to do with football and the football playoff structure, but doesn’t appear to affect mens basketball all that much. I can see ultimately the SEC and the B1G controlling mens football playoffs. How does this affect basketball though? The current payoff system in basketball seems to be working well for everyone, including the networks, will that change?

On 7/1/2022 at 5:18 AM, Lord Elrond said:

Yet compared to the rest of the SEC, academically Mizzou’s only true peer in that league is Vanderbilt…

What Mizzzou equivalent to Vandy academically….what are you smoking…Vandy is head and shoulders above the SEC Academically…… the rest are equivalent State schools….

almaman likes this

31 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

These universities all promote the global warming crisis and smaller carbon footprints. Yet when it come to their own revenue streams, they are greatly increasing the carbon footprints of there athletic departments in these conferences that cover ever more real-estate. 

CARBON........WTF is CARBON!!!!!!!!  WE'RE TALKING FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

AGB91 and HoosierPal like this

16 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Why wouldn't it go the other way, the Big 12 poaching what's left of the ACC.  It's football we are talking about.  Schools like Boston College, Pitt, and Syracuse may get left behind. 

The current rumor is that Washington and Oregon follow to the Big 10.  Everyone is waiting for Notre Dame to get off the pot.  If that happens there won't be much left of the Pac 12 to merge with.

You’re prophetic, Hoosier. I just read where the Big 12 is going after Utah, Colorado, AZ and ASU. Also B10 may add Oregon and ND to their lineup. If this were all to happen the PAC 12 is basically caput. Where this would leave Stanford. Cal, Wash and WSU is anyone’s guess. And what moves is the SEC planning? Looks like we are headed for 4 major college conferences with no regard to geographical identity. Might be 
time for the upper tiers of the mid major conferences to start thinking along the same lines in order to keep BB relevant regarding national championship consideration. It also begs the question what will the Beast do? 

The conference realignments are all about football and nothing about basketball. In college football, the inability of the NCAA and the colleges to agree to a playoff and tv networks desperate to obtain new original programming that gives them a hold on the market has lead to this. There appears to be no such push with college basketball, the market is flooded with TV games during the regular season, and the playoff format along with all the betting on brackets has maximized interest and revenue. One of the major points of interest is the upsets that occur every year. Given this I don’t see the football conference realignments going on affecting men’s basketball. If the NCAA had gotten agreement on a college football playoff years ago, maybe this would have been avoided. In the absence of that, the major conferences are taking over, backed by tv money that sees a return on their investment. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The conference realignments are all about football and nothing about basketball. In college football, the inability of the NCAA and the colleges to agree to a playoff and tv networks desperate to obtain new original programming that gives them a hold on the market has lead to this. There appears to be no such push with college basketball, the market is flooded with TV games during the regular season, and the playoff format along with all the betting on brackets has maximized interest and revenue. One of the major points of interest is the upsets that occur every year. Given this I don’t see the football conference realignments going on affecting men’s basketball. If the NCAA had gotten agreement on a college football playoff years ago, maybe this would have been avoided. In the absence of that, the major conferences are taking over, backed by tv money that sees a return on their investment. 

I hear u and hope the college BB world doesn’t change. The David v Goliath theme of the Dance is really compelling stuff.  But the bigs are greedy SOB’s. They look at all the 0’s in that CBS deal with the NCAA and they start salivating and wonder why any of those funds should be spread so thin, ie they want it all. Again, I hope nothing changes in hoops, but greed generally trumps tradition. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I hear u and hope the college BB world doesn’t change. The David v Goliath theme of the Dance is really compelling stuff.  But the bigs are greedy SOB’s. They look at all the 0’s in that CBS deal with the NCAA and they start salivating and wonder why any of those funds should be spread so thin, ie they want it all. Again, I hope nothing changes in hoops, but greed generally trumps tradition. 

I agree the bigs are greedy, as greedy as anyone can imagine. But in order to get that money, they would have to convince the tv networks that they ( tv networks) get more money by changing formats and eliminating the smaller schools and giving all that money to the big schools instead.  To do this they have to come up with a format that’s more compelling and will draw more viewers. It’s hard to see how they convince the networks to dump the current format, as popular as it is.

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I agree the bigs are greedy, as greedy as anyone can imagine. But in order to get that money, they would have to convince the tv networks that they ( tv networks) get more money by changing formats and eliminating the smaller schools and giving all that money to the big schools instead.  To do this they have to come up with a format that’s more compelling and will draw more viewers. It’s hard to see how they convince the networks to dump the current format, as popular as it is.

One way he that big schools can use to get a greater portion of the media money (not all) is by making sure that the NCAA gets to keep a lot more than what they are getting to keep right now. I think (purely my opinion) that Div 1 may be split into several categories by the NCAA. Each one of these categories with different media coverage levels and different media funding participation. I assume, my opinion not fact, that the level of NILs available to each school may determine where they are placed in this segmentation into categories. The lower level schools will probably have players primarily out of HS with very few receiving significant NILs, the top levels will have more and more paid pre-professional players on NILs.

The bigs are greedy, but so is the NCAA.

Again, I have nothing factual to back this up, it is just my way of thinking about the future of college basketball after NILs.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

One way he that big schools can use to get a greater portion of the media money (not all) is by making sure that the NCAA gets to keep a lot more than what they are getting to keep right now. I think (purely my opinion) that Div 1 may be split into several categories by the NCAA. Each one of these categories with different media coverage levels and different media funding participation. I assume, my opinion not fact, that the level of NILs available to each school may determine where they are placed in this segmentation into categories. The lower level schools will probably have players primarily out of HS with very few receiving significant NILs, the top levels will have more and more paid pre-professional players on NILs.

The bigs are greedy, but so is the NCAA.

Again, I have nothing factual to back this up, it is just my way of thinking about the future of college basketball after NILs.

The problem is the Bigs are getting so Big they can tell the NCAA to pound sand just like they did in FB. 

TJHawk likes this

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The problem is the Bigs are getting so Big they can tell the NCAA to pound sand just like they did in FB. 

Very true. But remember, the tv networks that are giving that money expect a return on their investment. They see the changes going on with football as a means to help that. For men’s basketball, they have a pretty good thing going. The David vs Goliath storyline is one they love, and drives interest in March Madness. Messing with that is the equivalent of killing the goose which lays the golden egg. While it may seem that the bigs are in power, they only have that power because of the tv networks giving them money. If the bigs make changes which might affect the fan interest (as measured by decreasing viewership) in the men’s basketball tournament, the the tv networks will show them the error of their ways. I think that the tv networks like the changes going on in football, but I have yet to hear that anyone wants to change basketball. 

43 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Very true. But remember, the tv networks that are giving that money expect a return on their investment. They see the changes going on with football as a means to help that. For men’s basketball, they have a pretty good thing going. The David vs Goliath storyline is one they love, and drives interest in March Madness. Messing with that is the equivalent of killing the goose which lays the golden egg. While it may seem that the bigs are in power, they only have that power because of the tv networks giving them money. If the bigs make changes which might affect the fan interest (as measured by decreasing viewership) in the men’s basketball tournament, the the tv networks will show them the error of their ways. I think that the tv networks like the changes going on in football, but I have yet to hear that anyone wants to change basketball. 

CBS and Turner Sports has a good thing going on with March Madness. 

ESPN and Fox are pretty much on the sidelines, except for reports from the sites.  They are buying into these SEC and Big 10 football moves to the tune of billions per year.  Do you think they quietly will sit by until 2032 before figuring out a more lucrative deal for their leagues on March Madness?