USC and UCLA to Big 10???

BLIKNS

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With USC and UCLA to the Big Ten leaking today, expect major pushback up and down the West Coast from powerful forces.  However, whether they are able to stop these moves remains to be seen. 

Cal and UCLA are both part of the University of California system, public schools, with the Regents of the University of California being the governing board, with 26 voting members, the majority of whom are appointed by the Governor of the State of California.  I would highly doubt Cal is going to accept this move hands down.  I also could see political pushback within California, all over the Golden State, in Sacramento, in LA, and in the Bay Area.

Old Money LA backs USC.  It was once said that USC alumni arrive at the City Championship football game in their BMW's (Basic Marin Wheels), while UCLA alumni arrive in their Honda's.  (This is not intended to be a slight against well performing, long lasting Honda's.)

Oregon is bankrolled by Phil Knight/Nike.

Washington is in Seattle, home of Microsoft, Starbucks.

We'll see how this all shakes down.

25 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Could see Pac 10, invite San Diego Stste, Boise State, Colorado State, and UNLV , plus Gonzaga basketball only

If USC and UCLA both leave, I think San Diego State would be first in line to at least keep some Pac-12 presence in Southern California.  San Diego State has an enrollment of over 35,000 and an alumni base above 300,000.  UNLV has been lousy in sports, especially in football, but UNLV Football now shares the state of the art Allegiant Stadium with the Raiders, and also would bring the Las Vegas TV market.  Boise State, which was once a junior college, is a rising star in sports in the West, in a growing region and state.

I doubt the Pac-12 and Gonzaga would be a match, especially with the Pac-12 having 2 members in Washington, one nearby Washington State, and four members in the Great Northwest.  However, i had the same thought as another poster, namely if the Gonzaga-Big East flirtation might be coaxed into bearing fruit.

Could there be a possibility that in the future we see schools decide to separate what conferences they belong to by sport?  I can’t imagine that UCLA and USC administrations like the idea of having to spend to send the non-revenue sports teams to Rutgers and Maryland, and I can’t imagine anyone on those teams liking the thought of those road trips. What if instead schools start belonging to one conference for football, another for Men’s basketball, and other conferences for non-revenue sports?

I hope the Pac12, Big12, and ACC band together and really fight this. Right now is there best chance to do it. Maybe start their own streaming channel. Focus on generating their own Ad revenue with low overhead, and a subscriber fee. Might work. If they generate more money than the other conferences they can turn the tables on everyone. It would be fun to watch them poach Michigan or Alabama.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

This is from the reporter who broke the USC and UCLA story today.

I know Nebraska isn’t an academic powerhouse (even though the N on the football helmets stands for Nowledge), but I don’t see at all how Mizzou academics fit the profile. Nebraska got a pass based on football pedigree and it didn’t work out at all. 

Big10 also has some large amounts of research money for all its members. Washington, UNC, Duke, UCLA, and USC all further strengthen the academic profile. Not sure on Oregon and Mizzou doesn’t trash the academic profile, but it’s a slight drag on the average rankings for sure. 

5 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

Big10 also has some large amounts of research money for all its members. Washington, UNC, Duke, UCLA, and USC all further strengthen the academic profile. Not sure on Oregon and Mizzou doesn’t trash the academic profile, but it’s a slight drag on the average rankings for sure. 

Yet compared to the rest of the SEC, academically Mizzou’s only true peer in that league is Vanderbilt…

SLU_Lax likes this

6 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

I know Nebraska isn’t an academic powerhouse (even though the N on the football helmets stands for Nowledge), but I don’t see at all how Mizzou academics fit the profile. Nebraska got a pass based on football pedigree and it didn’t work out at all. 

I don’t think Mizzou is getting an invite.  That said, the thing that matters to the Big 10 on the academic and research side is AAU membership.  Mizzou has that.

SLU_Lax likes this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/usc-and-ucla-to-big-ten-whats-next-for-pac-12-notre-dame-acc-big-12-with-realignment-just-getting-started/amp/

“One conference official reminded me that schools commit to a conference, not the other way around.

So, out with Vanderbilt and Missouri, in with Clemson and Miami? Out with Indianaand Purdue, in with Oregon and Washington? “

Mizzou is so respected nationally they have sports writers kicking them out of the SEC. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Ku has opened internal discussions about joining the BE in basketball only. 

No they haven't, that was a troll post.  That will never happen.  What's probably going to happen is a merger of the Big 12 and the Pac after the Big 10 takes what it wants from the two conferences.  

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Yet compared to the rest of the SEC, academically Mizzou’s only true peer in that league is Vanderbilt…

5 SEC school rank higher than Mizzou in almost all credited ranking's. IIRC TAMU, UGA, florida, Alabama typically rank higher.

18 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

True, but relative to the rest of the SEC ranked by academics, it’s Vandy, then Mizzou, then the rest in any order you want

Good try, but you are still way off. Mizzou is middle of the road academically. The Mizzou PR machine claims another victim. https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/slideshows/where-sec-schools-rank-among-the-2017-us-news-best-colleges

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

True, but relative to the rest of the SEC ranked by academics, it’s Vandy, then Mizzou, then the rest in any order you want

Numerous SEC schools (Florida, Georgia & Alabama) are far better in academics, most professional school standings and research budgets.  

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

None of this is about academics. Academics was the last thing on UCLA or USCs mind. 

Very true.  This is 99.9% about football, .1% about men’s basketball, and the rest of the sports? Who cares, figure it out after the deal is done. And Academics? What’s that? That thing that we have to pay minimal attention to in order to keep playing football? Yeah, gotta keep doing that, I guess.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Very true.  This is 99.9% about football, .1% about men’s basketball, and the rest of the sports? Who cares, figure it out after the deal is done. And Academics? What’s that? That thing that we have to pay minimal attention to in order to keep playing football? Yeah, gotta keep doing that, I guess.

The Big 10 will try to make it appear the academics are playing a role by keeping their options limited to AAU schools and Notre Dame.  Even Nebraska was an AAU school when admitted.  Just so happens all of the most attractive markets and football programs for the Big 10 are Notre Dame or a member of the AAU.