USC and UCLA to Big 10???

BLIKNS

CBS sports just sent out alert, that this possibly is in the works ... 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could see them approach BYU from the Big 12, but with then just moving don't know how realistic that would be

BYU and Baylor would have always been a no go for the PAC in the past because of religion.  Losing USC and UCLA might change that.   

The two schools that would make the most sense if you are looking at markets and athletics would be Houston and San Diego St..  

Nobody wants KU.

What are we now, 4-5 years from all current power conference schools consolidating into just the Big Ten and SEC? Basically AFC and NFC superconferences created by football at the expense of all other sports and all other universities outside whoever ends up in them. Someone tell me I'm wrong because this feels bleak.

Bizziken likes this

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

What are we now, 4-5 years from all current power conference schools consolidating into just the Big Ten and SEC? Basically AFC and NFC superconferences created by football at the expense of all other sports and all other universities outside whoever ends up in them. Someone tell me I'm wrong because this feels bleak.

Don't feel too bleak. The bigger these conferences get, the more likely they are to implode.  Eventually you are going to have 8 biggest programs in the SEC or Big 10 ask themselves why are they giving their money to the likes of Vandy, Mississippi St, Mizzou, Iowa, Prudue Northwestern, etc..  Those 8 schools will then form their own conference where they don't share money with those other programs and that will be followed by the 8 biggies in the other conference doing the same.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think continued P5 expansion tips the scales further in favor of Big East expansion.

majerus mojo and bauman like this

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Don't feel too bleak. The bigger these conferences get, the more likely they are to implode.  Eventually you are going to have 8 biggest programs in the SEC or Big 10 ask themselves why are they giving their money to the likes of Vandy, Mississippi St, Mizzou, Iowa, Prudue Northwestern, etc..  Those 8 schools will then form their own conference where they don't share money with those other programs and that will be followed by the 8 biggies in the other conference doing the same.

So like the European Super League and then a few tiers of the same idea form behind it?

The good thing for soccer is that the Super League failed because fans revolted. That doesn't seem to happen here. CFB fans would sell family members off if it meant having a better shot at a title, let alone selling old conference rivals off.

What you're describing still doesn't sound great for the long-term of CBB, especially for programs that aren't in power conferences already.

brianstl likes this

Sooner than later, for a number of factors, the P5s will take BB down the same path as FB. Not sure when the CBS Dance contract expires but that will be the trigger. Other networks will start a bidding war for the tourney and that’s when the bigs will unveil their grand plan for a P5 hoops only national championship. It’s coming. Count on it. 

Schasz likes this

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There's a civil war being waged in the P5.  The blue bloods and near blue bloods want access to the big pots of money doled out to SEC and Big 10 football.  The other three power conferences will see their TV contracts take a massive hit in the next negotiation.

Looks like some high major programs will soon know how it feels to be second class citizens.

51 minutes ago, brianstl said:

BYU and Baylor would have always been a no go for the PAC in the past because of religion.  Losing USC and UCLA might change that.   

The two schools that would make the most sense if you are looking at markets and athletics would be Houston and San Diego St..  

Nobody wants KU.

SoCal is all in on USC even the San Diego market will follow. 

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Sooner than later, for a number of factors, the P5s will take BB down the same path as FB. Not sure when the CBS Dance contract expires but that will be the trigger. Other networks will start a bidding war for the tourney and that’s when the bigs will unveil their grand plan for a P5 hoops only national championship. It’s coming. Count on it. 

I think the networks' appetite for a non-national championship tournament would be pretty limited.

cheeseman likes this

35 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

SoCal is all in on USC even the San Diego market will follow. 

I am talking about it as a recruiting market.  The remaining PAC programs need a school in southern CA to still be able to recruit SoCal like they do now.  Houston would give them an opening into a large part of Texas.

-I didn't read the article but could UCLA make the move and leave Brother Cal laying in waste? Oregon has more resources than most, what's Phil's take on this?

-USC and UCLA were basketball travel partners so on that level this makes a hair's width of sense

I find this funny as the PAC-12 and ACC had an alliance to counter the SEC expansion.  Now this happens and PAC-12 could lose it's 2 most relevant programs.  Those other conferences voted not to expand CFP because SEC wanted it to expand.  Super Conference is likely.  

Could see Pac 10, invite San Diego Stste, Boise State, Colorado State, and UNLV , plus Gonzaga basketball only