Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU has 2 more Women’s Hoops commits: Tierra Simon and Marcavia “Nuk” Shavers.

Tierra Simon is a 6’1 Small Forward (face the basket stretch four at times, mid range shooter, get to the line) from Heights High School in Houston, Texas. She is averaging 6pts and 7 rebs a game for Pearl River CC (Mississippi). 

Prior to Pearl River, Tierra played one season at Prairie View A&M were she played sparingly. 

In high school at Heights, she averaged 14 and 11. She played AAU with Cyfair Elite Murray Stars.

……………….

Marcavia “Nuk” Shavers.

Nuk is a 6’2 power forward, also from Pearl River CC. Shen is averaging 7 pts and 8 rebounds a game. 

All Region Juco player last year, helped lead her team to the Region title game and Juco Top 25 for the first time in 20 years. Team Captain. Can play the 4 or 5. 

All State Mississippi in high school and the region offensive player of the year. 

Back to back 20 win seasons at Pearl River. 21-2 so far this season.

…………..

15 hours ago, courtside said:

SLU has 2 more Women’s Hoops commits: Tierra Simon and Marcavia “Nuk” Shavers.

Tierra Simon is a 6’1 Small Forward (face the basket stretch four at times, mid range shooter, get to the line) from Heights High School in Houston, Texas. She is averaging 6pts and 7 rebs a game for Pearl River CC (Mississippi). 

Prior to Pearl River, Tierra played one season at Prairie View A&M were she played sparingly. 

In high school at Heights, she averaged 14 and 11. She played AAU with Cyfair Elite Murray Stars.

……………….

Marcavia “Nuk” Shavers.

Nuk is a 6’2 power forward, also from Pearl River CC. Shen is averaging 7 pts and 8 rebounds a game. 

All Region Juco player last year, helped lead her team to the Region title game and Juco Top 25 for the first time in 20 years. Team Captain. Can play the 4 or 5. 

All State Mississippi in high school and the region offensive player of the year. 

Back to back 20 win seasons at Pearl River. 21-2 so far this season.

…………..

All these judo recruits sound pretty mediocre and just being signed to fill out the roster. I bet Kylie Bess, who never sees the floor is better than all of them. Why not wait for the portal and see what you can come up with there? Certainly you can sign 7 and 8 point per game juco players any time. 

RUBillsFan and Dr Bird like this

So we now have 4 incoming commitments, one (Bergstram) from HS and now 3 from JUCO. We were full, so with Camree Clegg out of eligibility after this year (she’s a grad student on her extra Covid year, I believe) and with Brooke Flowers, Seyval Gul, and Julia Martinez leaving, doesn’t that fill us up for next year in terms of scholarships?  Also, I thought someone thought at one time Julia Martinez was coming back for her Covid year, if that happens doesn’t it mean someone else has to go?

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Julia Martinez was coming back for her Covid year, if that happens doesn’t it mean someone else has to go?

Yeah I was shocked to see her name before the senior ceremony.

7 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

So we now have 4 incoming commitments, one (Bergstram) from HS and now 3 from JUCO. We were full, so with Camree Clegg out of eligibility after this year (she’s a grad student on her extra Covid year, I believe) and with Brooke Flowers, Seyval Gul, and Julia Martinez leaving, doesn’t that fill us up for next year in terms of scholarships?  Also, I thought someone thought at one time Julia Martinez was coming back for her Covid year, if that happens doesn’t it mean someone else has to go?

Per Colin Suhre on our show a few weeks ago, Clegg still has a season to use if she wants to. Which is crazy, given how she's already stacking degrees, but I think between redshirts and the bonus, she's still got it.

I thought Martinez would be back - being honored on senior night seems to indicate otherwise.

We'll probably see transfers, though.

This team is on fire.  I was upset with this hire from the start but starting to change my mind.  The talent on this team should not be warranting a conference record like this.  Tillett is overachieving.

brianstl likes this

Coach Tillett has done an outstanding job this year, she’s showing she can get players to come together and be better than the sum of their parts. UMass is an extremely good team, and when they were down by nine late in the first and again in the second, I thought they were done. But a 20-6 3rd period swung them from down 8 at the half to up 6 to enter the 4th.  UMass tied the game with 6 minutes to go, but 2 Peyton Kennedy 3’s got SLU the lead back, and they hold on for the 77-75 win. 19 pts for Kyla McMakin, 16 pts and 9 rebounds for Peyton Kennedy, a double-double (12 pts, 13 Rebs) for Brooke Flowers (but only 1 block), and 10 pts for Kennedy Calhoun. SLU now knows they can beat the best in the conference if they play their game all 4 qtrs. Going to be a team no one wants to face in the tournament. Now go out and avenge the loss to Loy-Chi.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Coach Tillett has done an outstanding job this year, she’s showing she can get players to come together and be better than the sum of their parts. UMass is an extremely good team, and when they were down by nine late in the first and again in the second, I thought they were done. But a 20-6 3rd period swung them from down 8 at the half to up 6 to enter the 4th.  UMass tied the game with 6 minutes to go, but 2 Peyton Kennedy 3’s got SLU the lead back, and they hold on for the 77-75 win. 19 pts for Kyla McMakin, 16 pts and 9 rebounds for Peyton Kennedy, a double-double (12 pts, 13 Rebs) for Brooke Flowers (but only 1 block), and 10 pts for Kennedy Calhoun. SLU now knows they can beat the best in the conference if they play their game all 4 qtrs. Going to be a team no one wants to face in the tournament. Now go out and avenge the loss to Loy-Chi.

I don't follow the women's team enough to know, but does coach Tillett have a legit shot at A10 coach of the year?

5 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I don't follow the women's team enough to know, but does coach Tillett have a legit shot at A10 coach of the year?

Yes., I’d say so. A few other candidates, the Rhode Island coach, Tammi Reiss, or the Fordham coach, (actually interim) Candice Green. 

Forgot to mention the GW coach, Caroline McCombs. GW was expected to finish 11th, they are tied for 3rd with Fordham and SLU (although as mentioned SLU has the tiebreaker and can clench 3rd with a win over Loy-Chi). Of course, SLU was projected to be 12th.  I’d say Rebecca Tilllett should get it, if getting a team to exceed expectations is what you’re looking at. GW can also claim a big late season win, they took down Rhody last night.  

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

This team is on fire.  I was upset with this hire from the start but starting to change my mind.  The talent on this team should not be warranting a conference record like this.  Tillett is overachieving.

Coach Tillett is the Mark Schmidt of A-10 women’s team coaches.  She does more with less.

If the women win at Loyola on Saturday, they're mathematically guaranteed a double bye in the tournament. They're the only team in the conference to secure any bye without a winning record.

@Midtown Madnessyou were wondering on Twitter about weird stuff between the student section and someone behind the UMass bench last night at Chaifetz. There was one loud-mouthed UMass fan who was really vocal when UMass went up in the first half. The student section responded.  Lots of back and forth, and the student section really didn’t like how he reacted to some of the fouls called late on SLU. My advice to all is “You might not know how many of them it will take to kick your A$$, but you should always know how many of them might try.”  

13 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

@Midtown Madnessyou were wondering on Twitter about weird stuff between the student section and someone behind the UMass bench last night at Chaifetz. There was one loud-mouthed UMass fan who was really vocal when UMass went up in the first half. The student section responded.  Lots of back and forth, and the student section really didn’t like how he reacted to some of the fouls called late on SLU. My advice to all is “You might not know how many of them it will take to kick your A$$, but you should always know how many of them might try.”  

Lol I didn't hear any of that but I didn't audibly call one of the refs a jacka$$ after the late no calls.

Just now, Lord Elrond said:

For the record, that wasn’t me. I did say “Wake up, you blind…” but I stopped myself there

I meant to say "I did"* but now I've lost the speculation lol