Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if McMakin is #7 in the nation in scoring, imagine if she were shooting more in line with her career percentages at Longwood. She's higher than #7 in FGA, that's for sure.

22 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Also, if McMakin is #7 in the nation in scoring, imagine if she were shooting more in line with her career percentages at Longwood. She's higher than #7 in FGA, that's for sure.

By the other individual metrics, you'd think we're one of the better defensive teams in the country, which we might be, but we only have one offensive powerhouse.

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Applying a little math to this:

She’s at 316 points now.  Assuming all were 2 pt shots, her career average at Longwood, .363, would give her 11 more FG, 22 more points, moving her past Angel Reece of LSU into 6th place. Say about a third of them were 3 PT shots, total of say 28 more points or so and she’s still in the same place. 5th place has 356 pts right now, so she’s 40 behind that at 316.  Would probably have won us some more games.

Pistol likes this

10 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

By the other individual metrics, you'd think we're one of the better defensive teams in the country, which we might be, but we only have one offensive powerhouse.

We made this exact point on the show this week. I think it comes down to the learning curve for team defense. We have individuals with certain skills but it takes a while to play together.

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We made this exact point on the show this week. I think it comes down to the learning curve for team defense. We have individuals with certain skills but it takes a while to play together.

Unfortunately only 14 more scheduled games left for this group to come together before the A10 tourney. 6 on the roster are senior or grad student. Not sure how many of them come back next year on a Covid year or injury year. 

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Guess I'll have to listen to the new one 🤷‍♂️ lol

Pistol likes this

Sorry for the arrogance.. Based off this picture, it would see we would be better than our record shows.  I understand it was a harder OOC, but the picture is impressive..

OK, so 15-67 (22.4%) FG shooting is not going to win any games. Kyla McMakin was way off, 1-14, which is 7.1% FG shooting. I don’t know what else to say about that. Julia Martinez and Mia Nicastro were above that, but still not great (4-12 and 5-12 respectively).  Everyone else was collectively 5-29. Meanwhile they (St Joseph’s) shot 43.5%, which is about their season average. That’s how you lose 71-47. On to Rhody at home next.

16 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Watching  Ciaja keeping Vandy in the game against UT. Don’t think I’ve ever heard SLU mentioned more times in a non-Billiken National broadcast. Announcer is correct, she will make serious $$$ in Europe. 

3 of their starters had season ending injuries prior to the start of the season. So they ask Ciaja to do a lot.

1 hour ago, Gremio14 said:

Watching  Ciaja keeping Vandy in the game against UT. Don’t think I’ve ever heard SLU mentioned more times in a non-Billiken National broadcast. Announcer is correct, she will make serious $$$ in Europe. 

She's so good. I miss her, here.

Loss to Rhody, 76-65.  I actually thought the Billikens played a really good game against one of the best teams in the A10. It was competitive until the end, our defense was pretty good throughout. It got away in the final 5 minutes, when it looked like someone put a lid on their basket. SLU went 2-14 in the final 5 minutes, if more of those could have gone in….

Anyway, the Billikens gave it their all and kept fighting until the end. Julia Martinez got a double double, 14 points, 14 rebounds, 8 assists (and only 1 turnover) and a steal.  Kennedy Calhoun also got 14 pts, Kyla McMakin got 11 points (not a great shooting night for her, 4-23 FG, 1-8 from 3PT range), Brooke Flowers got 8 Pts and 12 rebounds, good play from Mia Nicastro (8 pts) and Peyton Kennedy (7 pts). Team 3 point shooting was bad, 5-23, 21.7%.

‘The band was there, 11 plus the new director, so that was all good. For the students being out and recent issues, that’s a good turnout.  I hope the issues there are still getting worked on, for me the live band is just such a great part of the college game day experience. 

Dayton up next Sunday, the Billikens should win that one.

Not a great shooting night, 4-23 from the floor, 1-8 from three, is a bit of an understatement. More like another in a lengthy list of horrid shooting nights.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Not a great shooting night, 4-23 from the floor, 1-8 from three, is a bit of an understatement. More like another in a lengthy list of horrid shooting nights.

How do you shoot 24 shots and only hit 4? Seriously is this possible? Even if you take away the 1-8 from 3 she was 3-16 from 2. 

Add to that 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 3 turnovers and just 2-2 from the line. Is it harder to go 4-24 or play 33 minutes and not have 1 rebound fall into your hands? 

willie likes this

I hadn’t realized that South Kingstown, Rhode Island was such an international destination until I saw the program last night. They had 6 players from France, 1 each from Canada, Israel and Estonia, and only 5 from the US (none from Rhode Island).  It’s odd how some programs become so international, like the Memphis women’s soccer team being half Canadian.  I wonder if there is some way to leverage the SLU Madrid campus into helping us get European players in some sports to come over here?

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I hadn’t realized that South Kingstown, Rhode Island was such an international destination until I saw the program last night. They had 6 players from France, 1 each from Canada, Israel and Estonia, and only 5 from the US (none from Rhode Island).  It’s odd how some programs become so international, like the Memphis women’s soccer team being half Canadian.  I wonder if there is some way to leverage the SLU Madrid campus into helping us get European players in some sports to come over here?

For women's bball or in general? The last couple of years we've had someone from Turkey, Greece, and Ivory Coast. I think we've made international headway before but not like that, lol 

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

How do you shoot 24 shots and only hit 4? Seriously is this possible? Even if you take away the 1-8 from 3 she was 3-16 from 2. 

Add to that 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 3 turnovers and just 2-2 from the line. Is it harder to go 4-24 or play 33 minutes and not have 1 rebound fall into your hands? 

Kyla takes the term 'Ball Hog" to new heights.

I seriously don't know how the other ladies can take it.

BIG BILL FAN likes this

13 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

For women's bball or in general? The last couple of years we've had someone from Turkey, Greece, and Ivory Coast. I think we've made international headway before but not like that, lol 

For any sport. I’m not sure how you leverage the Madrid campus for that, from what I can tell from the website sports over there are basically what we would call intramural here in the US. But maybe base someone there to try to market SLU to players in secondary school and clubs over there who might want to come over here and get a college education in any sport? Clearly there are some players who want to do that, as we saw last night.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

1 hour ago, AGB91 said:

Kyla takes the term 'Ball Hog" to new heights.

I seriously don't know how the other ladies can take it.

It's not just that - they draw up plays for her late in games. She gets the last shots by design, even on nights when she's ice cold. This was true last night, as a few of her attempts came in the last minute. They were misses, of course.

I'd be using her as a decoy late in games when she's off - which is most games. She's been scouted and defenses are ready for her to take the last shot(s), so use her to draw defenders away from someone who will actually take a good shot. I'd also be encouraging her to draw more contact instead of shooting so many leaners, runners, and fadeaways, given her slashline of .311/.273/.886.

Her 40-point game vs. VCU wasn't a huge shock to me. I thought there would be more games where she goes off, but it's only been a few - VCU, Green Bay, SIUE. Arguably a couple others, but those are the only 3 games she's shot over 40%, and she ended up with 31+ points in each of them.

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's not just that - they draw up plays for her late in games. She gets the last shots by design, even on nights when she's ice cold. This was true last night, as a few of her attempts came in the last minute. They were misses, of course.

I'd be using her as a decoy late in games when she's off - which is most games. She's been scouted and defenses are ready for her to take the last shot(s), so use her to draw defenders away from someone who will actually take a good shot. I'd also be encouraging her to draw more contact instead of shooting so many leaners, runners, and fadeaways, given her slashline of .311/.273/.886.

Her 40-point game vs. VCU wasn't a huge shock to me. I thought there would be more games where she goes off, but it's only been a few - VCU, Green Bay, SIUE. Arguably a couple others, but those are the only 3 games she's shot over 40%, and she ended up with 31+ points in each of them.

4 of her misses were in the last 30 seconds of the game. During that time, no other Billiken took a shot.

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

4 of her misses were in the last 30 seconds of the game. During that time, no other Billiken took a shot.

This shouldn't be happening unless results are consistent and they aren't.

14 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This shouldn't be happening unless results are consistent and they aren't.

The real problem is the Billikens are a terrible 3 pt shooting team. They are at a .254 percentage average as a team, which is 321st out of 350 Div 1 teams. So if you are down late in a game and need three pointers to pull you back in, not a lot of options.  Among bench players, Marissa Warren is a .400 3pt shooter, but that’s only on 5 attempts all year, small sample size. Other bench players, Payton Kennedy is at .344 on 32 attempts, Brianna Johns is at .304 on 46 attempts. Among starters, Kyla McMakin is at .273 at 3 pt range on 139 attempts, which leads all the starters in both percentage and attempts.  The other starters 3 pt shooting is as follows: Julia Martinez - .261, Kennedy Calhoun - .189, Mia Nicastro - .107, Brooke Fowers - .000 (no 3 pt attempts all year).  Camree Clegg came into this season with a career .352 at St John’s, but this year has been .247 on 77 attempts, second most attempts on the team. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The real problem is the Billikens are a terrible 3 pt shooting team. They are at a .254 percentage average as a team, which is 321st out of 350 Div 1 teams. So if you are down late in a game and need three pointers to pull you back in, not a lot of options.  Among bench players, Marissa Warren is a .400 3pt shooter, but that’s only on 5 attempts all year, small sample size. Other bench players, Payton Kennedy is at .344 on 32 attempts, Brianna Johns is at .304 on 46 attempts. Among starters, Kyla McMakin is at .273 at 3 pt range on 139 attempts, which leads all the starters in both percentage and attempts.  The other starters 3 pt shooting is as follows: Julia Martinez - .261, Kennedy Calhoun - .189, Mia Nicastro - .107, Brooke Fowers - .000 (no 3 pt attempts all year).  Camree Clegg came into this season with a career .352 at St John’s, but this year has been .247 on 77 attempts, second most attempts on the team. 

That's crazy, we did really well on defense last night, I thought, but again our offense really needs to improve to pull out games like this.