Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

Nice win, 75-65. Illinois State was 5-1 before this, so it’s a good win for the Billikens. 25-56 FG shooting, 7-18 from 3pt (38.9%), 18-18 FT’s. The refs were calling a lot of fouls, which rarely looked like they corresponded to any players actual movements on the court. Oh well. 4 Billikens in double digits. Kyla McMakin had 22, Peyton Kennedy had 10, Julia Martinez 20 (with 9 rebounds), Brooke Flowers with 14 and 7 blocks.  Overall a nice win. 

Adman likes this

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ball State cruises to a 85-51 win. Out rebounded us 45-29, SLU 5 more turnovers. 20-60 overall in FG’s, 4-22 from 3 pt range. Briana Johns was 4-8 from 3pt for 12 pts, Brooke Flowers 11 (3 pts shy of 1000 career points, she should get that at home vs Wichita State on Dec 8th), Julia Martinez 10 points, Mia Nicastro 9 points. Kyla McMakin was off this game, 1-14 for 2 points. 

Almost a good finish. It looked like Wichita State was going to run away with it (27 point lead halfway through the 3rd), but the Billikens fought back. If they could have sunk a 3 pointer in the last 9 seconds, they would have tied it, but they couldn’t get off the shot. Billikens lose 77-74, now 3-10 on the year. Peyton Kennedy had 25 points on 9-16 shooting (including 4-8 from 3pt range). Julia Martinez was all over the court, 20 pts, led in rebounds with 12, led in assists with 6, led in steals with 7.  Kennedy Calhoun had 10 pts. If they could play an entire game like they did the second half…. Oh well.

8 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Almost a good finish. It looked like Wichita State was going to run away with it (27 point lead halfway through the 3rd), but the Billikens fought back. If they could have sunk a 3 pointer in the last 9 seconds, they would have tied it, but they couldn’t get off the shot. Billikens lose 77-74, now 3-10 on the year. Peyton Kennedy had 25 points on 9-16 shooting (including 4-8 from 3pt range). Julia Martinez was all over the court, 20 pts, led in rebounds with 12, led in assists with 6, led in steals with 7.  Kennedy Calhoun had 10 pts. If they could play an entire game like they did the second half…. Oh well.

This was a game where we actually played to our potential, but our potential is still very limited. I honestly think we should have won, but we made one too many unforced errors.

50 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This was a game where we actually played to our potential, but our potential is still very limited. I honestly think we should have won, but we made one too many unforced errors.

First half was ugly, Billikens got outscored 21-11 in the 1st quarter (FG 5-16, 3pt 1-7), 2nd quarter it was 21-9 (FG 4-15, 3pt 1-8, and missed all free throws). It’s hard to make up a 22 point deficit at halftime. You have to find a way to keep up the shooting all game.

Glad I watched that second half, even if I don't know why I even turned it on with that halftime score (42-20).

Martinez started the season coming off the bench and has made herself indispensable. She creates more turnovers for the opposition than she's guilty of herself. She's easily SLU's best athlete. She plays hard. Unfortunately neither she nor McMakin seemed ready for the final shot that could've tied it.

SLU just got in too deep a hole. Credit to them for not folding, as we've seen the men's team do twice when they've gotten down big.

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Glad I watched that second half, even if I don't know why I even turned it on with that halftime score (42-20).

Martinez started the season coming off the bench and has made herself indispensable. She creates more turnovers for the opposition than she's guilty of herself. She's easily SLU's best athlete. She plays hard. Unfortunately neither she nor McMakin seemed ready for the final shot that could've tied it.

SLU just got in too deep a hole. Credit to them for not folding, as we've seen the men's team do twice when they've gotten down big.

i admittedly havent seen a single women's game yet this season.   but my memory of martinez is one of pure hustle and enthusiasm (which i love!) but was the top brick laying shooter on the team.   has she developed any kind of success as a shooter this year?

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i admittedly havent seen a single women's game yet this season.   but my memory of martinez is one of pure hustle and enthusiasm (which i love!) but was the top brick laying shooter on the team.   has she developed any kind of success as a shooter this year?

Eh, her 3-point shooting was the only downside last night, aside from a higher turnover number than you'd want to see. She's 4-20 from 3 on the season, but shooting .453 overall. So she's about 53% from everywhere else.

She's also not a great FT shooter, just under 60% this year.

She just does so many other things, though, and her energy and disruptiveness led the comeback. SLU was winning that game last night if it went to OT.

53 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Eh, her 3-point shooting was the only downside last night, aside from a higher turnover number than you'd want to see. She's 4-20 from 3 on the season, but shooting .453 overall. So she's about 53% from everywhere else.

She's also not a great FT shooter, just under 60% this year.

She just does so many other things, though, and her energy and disruptiveness led the comeback. SLU was winning that game last night if it went to OT.

Julia Martinez always goes 100%. Where it really shows is in steals.  After last nights game, she’s second in NCAA Division 1 in steals with 39.

Pistol likes this

• 2 weeks later...

So we are up by 8 after three quarters, and lose by 12 because they outscored us 28-8 in the 4th. Hard to win when you give up 20 nets points in a single quarter. This team has a definite problem putting it all together for 4 straight quarters. Kyla McMakin was on this game, 10-28, 23 total points. Mia Nicastro also had a good night off the bench, 4-7 FG, 5-6 FT, 13 total points in 22 minutes. The team got out rebounded again 49-31. Got to find a way to out-rebound the other team. Final Memphis 83 - St Louis 71. 

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

So we are up by 8 after three quarters, and lose by 12 because they outscored us 28-8 in the 4th. Hard to win when you give up 20 nets points in a single quarter. This team has a definite problem putting it all together for 4 straight quarters. Kyla McMakin was on this game, 10-28, 23 total points. Mia Nicastro also had a good night off the bench, 4-7 FG, 5-6 FT, 13 total points in 22 minutes. The team got out rebounded again 49-31. Got to find a way to out-rebound the other team. Final Memphis 83 - St Louis 71. 

One bad quarter has sunk them several times this season. They'd be .500 if they got to throw out a quarter.

I would have assumed someone would have posted about Mia Bergstrom by now. (unless I missed it)

Mia committed to SLU. 2024 St. Viator High School. (Chicago) Wolverines AAU where she plays with Doug Bruno’s (DePaul) granddaughter among others. 5’9 shooting guard. (93 made 3’s in hs last season, 39%) Her sister plays at South Dakota.

slufanskip likes this

The game I couldn’t make they win big. Great win, keep it up ladies!

Nice to see a commitment from my home town in Mia Bergstrom (might have gone to school with one of her relatives). St Viator was an all boys school back then too, they merged with Sacred Heart of Mary to become coed.

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

The game I couldn’t make they win big. Great win, keep it up ladies!

Nice to see a commitment from my home town in Mia Bergstrom (might have gone to school with one of her relatives). St Viator was an all boys school back then too, they merged with Sacred Heart of Mary to become coed.

Bruno’s granddaughter plays for Loyola, one of the many Chicago schools that went co-ed between the late 1980’s through mid and later 1990’s. 

Both of Mia’s parents were athletes at Carthage College. She has a brother that plays baseball at Creighton, and several other athlete siblings. Her sister had a SLU offer before eventually committing to South Dakota. (Sweet 16 team this past year). 

Previously Mia was more of a high effort role player, but she is expected to be the main scorer at St. Viator this season. She had a good Summer which drew interest from MVC and Summit schools, others. Bradley offered her before her Soph year. One of her AAU teammates is Ms. Basketball Illinois, Sophie Swanson (Purdue commit). They also have a Maryland commit as well as others. 

slufanskip likes this