Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 77-58 win. They played good defense early, held Air Force to 21.8% shooting in the first 3 quarters. Flowers had 13 rebounds and 5 blocks. Offensively they got into the paint.  This game pointed out 3 things that SLU needs to do for the rest of the season: 1-DEFENSE and rebounding are the key, 2-get the ball inside on offense, 3-don’t shoot 3 pt shots (they were 3-25 against Baylor, 4-23 against Belmont, 2-17 vs Air Force, total last 3 games 9-65, 13.8%). Don’t shoot from 3pt range, just don’t.

29 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

A 77-58 win. They played good defense early, held Air Force to 21.8% shooting in the first 3 quarters. Flowers had 13 rebounds and 5 blocks. Offensively they got into the paint.  This game pointed out 3 things that SLU needs to do for the rest of the season: 1-DEFENSE and rebounding are the key, 2-get the ball inside on offense, 3-don’t shoot 3 pt shots (they were 3-25 against Baylor, 4-23 against Belmont, 2-17 vs Air Force, total last 3 games 9-65, 13.8%). Don’t shoot from 3pt range, just don’t.

This 3 point shooting is unreal. 13.8% is that possible for actual basketball players? 

44 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I see her warm up every game, looks fine to me, I’d say coach’s choice not to play her

A stupid decision considering she was one of the brighter spots last season. 

AGB91 likes this

16 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

A stupid decision considering she was one of the brighter spots last season. 

She was injured last season, and ended the season early. I don’t know what her injury was, and I don’t know her injury status now, but if she’s not game ready why have her dress out and go do warmups with the other players?

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

She was injured last season, and ended the season early. I don’t know what her injury was, and I don’t know her injury status now, but if she’s not game ready why have her dress out and go do warmups with the other players?

I would think they'd have her on the injured list, then if she hasn't been ready this long. If my memory isn't failing me, she wasn't injured the whole season last year.

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I would think they'd have her on the injured list, then if she hasn't been ready this long. If my memory isn't failing me, she wasn't injured the whole season last year.

Last game Kiley Bess was in was the game vs Rhody on Feb 2nd. She was out the rest of the year last year. She was expected back at the start of the season, I’m not aware of her still being injured. During the pre-game shooting drills she’s dressed out and participating in all drills, the injured players are just in their sweats and don’t participate other than maybe chasing down loose balls. That’s all I know.

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Last game Kiley Bess was in was the game vs Rhody on Feb 2nd. She was out the rest of the year last year. She was expected back at the start of the season, I’m not aware of her still being injured. During the pre-game shooting drills she’s dressed out and participating in all drills, the injured players are just in their sweats and don’t participate other than maybe chasing down loose balls. That’s all I know.

Very confusing. Why not ease her back in and utilize her?

Why are Nicastro's and Peyton Kennedy's minutes so limited?  I can sort of understand easing the freshman Nicastro into the rotation, but Kennedy is a Jr. who is your team's second most efficient scorer behind Flowers, second in 3pt%, second on the team in offensive rebounds and first in total rebounds per minute played.  Plus, she isn't a turnover machine like most of the rest of the roster has been this season.  Looking at the numbers, you need to find her more than 13 minutes per game.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Why are Nicastro's and Peyton Kennedy's minutes so limited?  I can sort of understand easing the freshman Nicastro into the rotation, but Kennedy is a Jr. who is your team's second most efficient scorer behind Flowers, second in 3pt%, second on the team in offensive rebounds and first in total rebounds per minute played.  Plus, she isn't a turnover machine like most of the rest of the roster has been this season.  Looking at the numbers, you need to find her more than 13 minutes per game.

I think it goes back to Torch's point about Longwood players being favored over returners. 

kmbilliken likes this

Congratulations to Brooke Flowers for her rebounding record set last night against Mizzou!

Beyond that, not sure what to say. 82-52 loss, they did shoot better from 3 pt land, but not sure if that’s a trend or just that they were do. Overall, another loss. A 30 pt loss doesn’t leave much else to say.

On 11/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, Lord Elrond said:

Bess tore her ACL last year

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/i-cant-explain-it-says-coach-stone-after-slu-women-win-with-6-players/article_576890bb-7be8-5ed2-a459-4bba3cf1f06f.html