Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

8 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

McMakins (and Clegg for that matter) both seem to be streaky players, they are either on or they are off. More consistency is needed, or awareness that when they aren’t hitting someone else needs to take the shots. In today’s game, McMakin was 2-14 in FG, 1-6 3pters, 7 total points, Clegg was 2-11, 1-8 3pters, 5 total points. When they are on they are really good.

That wasn't my point. My point is she doesn't do herself any favors visually because she has an absolute garbage shot selection.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That wasn't my point. My point is she doesn't do herself any favors visually because she has an absolute garbage shot selection.

True, she needs to recognize that when she’s not shooting well, or doesn’t have a good shot, then she needs to pass to a teammate and work for a better shot from someone else. Overall her numbers aren’t bad, she’s shooting .348 overall, .327 for 3pt shots. But when she forces a shot sometimes that shot doesn’t even come close to the basket.

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

True, she needs to recognize that when she’s not shooting well, or doesn’t have a good shot, then she needs to pass to a teammate and work for a better shot from someone else. Overall her numbers aren’t bad, she’s shooting .348 overall, .327 for 3pt shots. But when she forces a shot sometimes that shot doesn’t even come close to the basket.

Her numbers are the definition of misleading. She is an absolute liability when she's off. There's a huge difference between a player who consistently game in and game out shoots 30% from three and a player who shoots 30% from 3 on the season but has great games or terrible games and no in between. I believe player A is the better player by a country mile.

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Her numbers are the definition of misleading. She is an absolute liability when she's off. There's a huge difference between a player who consistently game in and game out shoots 30% from three and a player who shoots 30% from 3 on the season but has great games or terrible games and no in between. I believe player A is the better player by a country mile.

Sadly Clegg seems to be the same type of player…

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

and this team isn't good enough defensively to endure the 80% of games where they can't hit water from a boat.

I really don’t get the poor defense on this team. Defense should be better than this, continuing like this will not be a pleasant thing to watch.

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Tillett bringing in Longwood players to win at the A10 level opens her up to immediate criticism much more than getting players from around the country in the portal or high school.

Your point is well made, these are the players she brought over with her. Not a good first impression.

And in another note, there was a 4th commitment to the Billikens this year, Mackenzie Hare committed in Nov 2021 with the other SLU freshman (recruited under Lisa Stone). With the coaching change she uncommitted, and on the same day Coach Tillett was hired by SLU signed with Marquette. She’s averaging 8.8 pts per game for them, three of her 6 games in double digits. While it looks like she has a lot to work on like all freshmen, she seems quite a prospect. 

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Tillett bringing in Longwood players to win at the A10 level opens her up to immediate criticism much more than getting players from around the country in the portal or high school.

This was my whole off-season issue with her. We are not Longwood and we shouldn't try to be Longwood. A clean slate should mean a clean slate.

11 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This was my whole off-season issue with her. We are not Longwood and we shouldn't try to be Longwood. A clean slate should mean a clean slate.

Don't you think she had lots of holes to fill and all this is her filling holes.  Give her a couple years and we will see if she has a viable plan.

Back in Fort Myers for Game #2.   Mia Nicastro had a really nice 2nd half yesterday so heres hoping she can build on that performance.    Also Flowers is such a nice player.   It’s a shame she doesn’t get much help at all.   Go Billikens!   Beat Belmont!  

Belmont is a good program, strong backcourt with Wells, Jones, and recent add Harvey. Back to back 12/5 NCAA Upsets. 7 straight NCAA's, 5 under Brooks, the former 11 year DePaul assistant. They've played some strong teams close thus far. 

Re: Harbison, Cancun All Tourney highlights. (With 3 starters out for the season with injury, she'll be asked to carry the scoring often. It was a big loss for SLU:

https://twitter.com/VandyWBB/status/1596567209731506178?t=wipeP9CMgSd40AMpqJ5SUQ&s=19

Really nice 1st half.  SLU withstood an AFA run and are leading 38-23.   Flowers was scoring at will when they could get her the ball.   Nicastro picked up 3 fouls and hast been in the game much.  McMakin had a nice offensive half, but jeez she is a turnover machine.