Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

The only one that has made any impression so far is Kyla McMakin.

Edit: and she's a senior 🤪

With her usage rate she doesn't impress me. A lot of players could score a lot more points than she does with the amount of shots she is taking.

46 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

May specifically said he wants the women's program to compete consistently in the NCAA Tournament (we can discuss why this is unrealistic given the achievement gap in WBB) but a win/results now mentality to me feels like she has 2 to 3 at max. May painted himself into a corner.

I don't think he would give her only 3 years, and certainly not just 2. And yes, I think he has stuck his neck out with that NCAA wish, especially the "consistent" part. Of course, there's always wiggle room for what constitutes "consistent". Let's face it, they've NEVER been there.

I think most people would say Lisa Stone was the best women's BB coach SLU ever had. And even she couldn't get it done in I think 9(?) seasons. I get that May wanted a younger, upcoming coach, someone with a different approach and message, someone who could get the recruiting back on track. If this new coach stumbles and the program is set back, that's on him. I don't think she'll get 9 seasons unless things go really well. But she does need time to reset things.

slufanskip likes this

13 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I don't think he would give her only 3 years, and certainly not just 2. And yes, I think he has stuck his neck out with that NCAA wish, especially the "consistent" part. Of course, there's always wiggle room for what constitutes "consistent". Let's face it, they've NEVER been there.

I think most people would say Lisa Stone was the best women's BB coach SLU ever had. And even she couldn't get it done in I think 9(?) seasons. I get that May wanted a younger, upcoming coach, someone with a different approach and message, someone who could get the recruiting back on track. If this new coach stumbles and the program is set back, that's on him. I don't think she'll get 9 seasons unless things go really well. But she does need time to reset things.

My issue, though, is that he definitely made the change with a "win now" mentality and definitely did not, in my mind, mean for a potential 3 to 4 year rebuild to happen. He saw 1 year of NCAA success in Coach Tillett and hired her. Again, it hasn't been a full season, but I don't like what I've seen so far.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

With her usage rate she doesn't impress me. A lot of players could score a lot more points than she does with the amount of shots she is taking.

She’s about as efficient as Ciaja was. Better from 3 a little worse from 2. Without doing the math, I’d guess her points per shot is slightly better as she shoots a greater percentage better from 3 than Ciaja shoots better than her from 2. With that said she’s not played a conference schedule yet, so we will see if it holds, gets worse, or improves 

not sure what everyone expected with a spring takeover of the program.   she missed out on early recruiting, she  ended up taking transfers from her old school to fill out the roster.  the program had to compete inside of the athletic department for the now crucial NiH money and we all know that whatever pennies were available likely went to the men's program.   to expect "win now" imo was/is naive.  

i'm not her number one fan, but my gosh folks,   let's be realistic.   

Kyla McMakin this year, FG 45-121, .372, 3pt 16-45 .348

Caija Harrison last year, FG 160-401, .399, 3pt 31-101, .307

Harbison was a little better on FG, but worse on 3 pt shooting by more. I’ll call it even so far. The real problem is we were a losing team last year and a losing team this year, so I would say the problem both seasons has been elsewhere than the shooting guard position.

Chris May quoted in the news release announcing Lisa Stone’s departure: “Women's basketball is a critically important program at SLU," May said. "Our goal is to play in the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship regularly. This is a great job in women's college basketball, and our program is well positioned for sustainable, long-term success with Chaifetz Arena and, in the very near future, the O'Loughlin Family Champions Center.”

So yeah, that’s the goal for Coach Tillett. Not sure that means this year, but she’s expected to take us to the NCAA’s regularly.

Halftime in Fort Myers.  Yikes we are really poor.  Baylor is very good and we have had women’s teams that are talent limited.  But so far, they just aren’t competing very hard.   They will very likely play Belmont tomorrow so I’m hoping for a better effort.  

Exactly.   Nothing wrong with such a goal in a few years, but as you said, there was nothing said the Lady Billiken's are expected to be in the elite 8 this year.

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Exactly.   Nothing wrong with such a goal in a few years, but as you said, there was nothing said the Lady Billiken's are expected to be in the elite 8 this year.

It would have been nice if they could have managed to sign one player in the early signing period.  The lack of any recruits at this point is what has me worried.  

Final, Baylor 92, SLU 58. Looks like the subs got a lot of playing time when things got out of hand. 3-25 from 3pt line. Mia Nicastro’s stat line in the box score looked good, 5-8, 7 rebounds (4 ORB) for 12 points in 20 minutes, Peyton Kennedy 5-12, 5 rebounds for 11 points in 19 minutes. Julia Martinez led starters with 8 rebounds, Brooke Flowers was 5-8, 13 points and 5 rebounds. Neither McMakin nor Clegg had good stat lines in the box score.

30 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Final, Baylor 92, SLU 58. Looks like the subs got a lot of playing time when things got out of hand. 3-25 from 3pt line. Mia Nicastro’s stat line in the box score looked good, 5-8, 7 rebounds (4 ORB) for 12 points in 20 minutes, Peyton Kennedy 5-12, 5 rebounds for 11 points in 19 minutes. Julia Martinez led starters with 8 rebounds, Brooke Flowers was 5-8, 13 points and 5 rebounds. Neither McMakin nor Clegg had good stat lines in the box score.

geez 3-25?   quit shooting 3's!   brooke flowers only 5 rebounds?   i thought that was her strength?   wth?  

I know Women's BB doesn't drive the bus, but for all of us wanting an invite to the Beast, Baylor is like a mid-level Big East team this year so if that invite would ever occur then we would have a lot of work to do in WBB.

Reading May's statement on this hiring make me think about a recruiting item.  As he has to do at this point to satisfy donors to the family Champions Center, May mentions what a tool the Center will be to upgrade our recruiting.  Sorry but I just don't see it.  To me it is a nice facility to have but will not cause recruits to pick SLU over competitors.  Prior year rankings, coaching staffs and yes NIL will be what recruits are attracted to not a nice Center to hang out in.

from my viewpoint in today's sports world, i would bet a lot that the biggest (if not the only thing) that will drive recruiting is this NiL b.s.   D-1 college sports is over as we all knew and loved it. 

to defend Chris May's statement, i believe the court decision to make the NiL stuff all legal was not out yet when the Family Champions Center was announced.  

18 minutes ago, bauman said:

I know Women's BB doesn't drive the bus, but for all of us wanting an invite to the Beast, Baylor is like a mid-level Big East team this year so if that invite would ever occur then we would have a lot of work to do in WBB.

Reading May's statement on this hiring make me think about a recruiting item.  As he has to do at this point to satisfy donors to the family Champions Center, May mentions what a tool the Center will be to upgrade our recruiting.  Sorry but I just don't see it.  To me it is a nice facility to have but will not cause recruits to pick SLU over competitors.  Prior year rankings, coaching staffs and yes NIL will be what recruits are attracted to not a nice Center to hang out in.

NIL and Champions Center are not mutually exclusive

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

from my viewpoint in today's sports world, i would bet a lot that the biggest (if not the only thing) that will drive recruiting is this NiL b.s.   D-1 college sports is over as we all knew and loved it. 

to defend Chris May's statement, i believe the court decision to make the NiL stuff all legal was not out yet when the Family Champions Center was announced.  

Roy, just to be clear, I am not critical of May's comments about the Center.  He is saying what needs to be said, I just think he is overstating the recruiting impact of the facility.

While I agree with you that NIL is going to have a negative impact on college sports, I think there will be many recruits who will not be of the quality to get that type of incentive.  What bugs me the most in watching games is the constant need of announcers to have to explain where player X transferred from.  Elimination of the one year sit out rule is destroying the team concept.  What we have now is just a bunch of free agents shopping themselves and thereby leaving their former school to have to rebuild

willie likes this

19 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

NIL and Champions Center are not mutually exclusive

Of course they are not, and I never said they are.  Both can have an impact but the Center will not be a deciding factor to 17 year old athletes looking at where to accept a scholarship from.

55 minutes ago, bauman said:

Roy, just to be clear, I am not critical of May's comments about the Center.  He is saying what needs to be said, I just think he is overstating the recruiting impact of the facility.

While I agree with you that NIL is going to have a negative impact on college sports, I think there will be many recruits who will not be of the quality to get that type of incentive.  What bugs me the most in watching games is the constant need of announcers to have to explain where player X transferred from.  Elimination of the one year sit out rule is destroying the team concept.  What we have now is just a bunch of free agents shopping themselves and thereby leaving their former school to have to rebuild

i bet he no longer is saying that.  

10 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Give Tillet 4 years.   She deserves the chance to clean house abd bring in her own roster 

Now that said this new NCAA nil b.s. and transfer rules might make that impossible and truthfully if that is the case, no coach is gonna succeed at Saint Louis University women's bball ever again.   I keep hoping that this NiL is a short term try.  But in all likelihood it's here to stay.   The big schools have money machines.  We do not.   

Absolutely disagree. NIL is not going to impact women’s sports in a way close to men’s. Unless you’re the Olivia Dunne or the Cavinder twins making bank on Instagram. 

My biggest critique of Tillett so far is the disparity in athleticism between Flowers/Martinez/returning Stone players and anyone she brought from Longwood. I am not optimistic they will be able to hang in the a10, physically speaking. 

McMakins numbers may be similar to Ciaja but the shot selection is some of the absolute worst I’ve ever seen. It really highlights her misses when she takes contested turn around 30 footers.

RUBillsFan likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

McMakins numbers may be similar to Ciaja but the shot selection is some of the absolute worst I’ve ever seen. It really highlights her misses when she takes contested turn around 30 footers.

McMakins (and Clegg for that matter) both seem to be streaky players, they are either on or they are off. More consistency is needed, or awareness that when they aren’t hitting someone else needs to take the shots. In today’s game, McMakin was 2-14 in FG, 1-6 3pters, 7 total points, Clegg was 2-11, 1-8 3pters, 5 total points. When they are on they are really good.