Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

34 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I really thought this team would be a bit of surprise, middle of the pack A10 team, maybe get a top 6 finish.  I was really wrong.  A win for us at this showcase may be staying within 40 points of our opponents.

I thought we would be better too. Our one win against SIUE isn’t looking any better as their season goes along. Last year they were a middle of the road OVC team, this year they are 0-4, giving up 90.0 pts per game while only scoring 51.8 points per game, which makes for an average loss of 38.2 points. Guess we’ll see what they do in the tournament. To clarify, I won’t be watching at what Flo Sports charges, I’ll be checking the box scores after the games. 

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

But I too, seriously overrated this team. Is Lisa Stone still available?

I haven’t heard of her getting a job elsewhere…

Seriously, there’s no going back. I think everyone was hoping we could avoid a total rebuild, but that might be where we are headed. I would guess Coach Tillett gets first shot at the rebuilding thing, so let’s hope her recruiting skills are up to it. Not sure what to expect this year, let’s see where we stand Monday after this tournament. Hopefully still not on one win, but the competition in the tournament they are in looks very tough.

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Seriously, there’s no going back. I think everyone was hoping we could avoid a total rebuild, but that might be where we are headed. I would guess Coach Tillett gets first shot at the rebuilding thing, so let’s hope her recruiting skills are up to it. Not sure what to expect this year, let’s see where we stand Monday after this tournament. Hopefully still not on one win, but the competition in the tournament they are in looks very tough.

How did they do in the early signing period?

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

How did they do in the early signing period?

None that I could find, said I, thinking surely I must be mistaken but unable to prove it. No announcement on the twitter feed, or their story archives, and nothing on wbbblog.com. I can’t find any. Surely I am mistaken and am just incompetent at locating that information.

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

None that I could find, said I, thinking surely I must be mistaken but unable to prove it. No announcement on the twitter feed, or their story archives, and nothing on wbbblog.com. I can’t find any. Surely I am mistaken and am just incompetent at locating that information.

The fact that you're constantly monitoring a Fellowship while maintaining this profile is a feat in itself, so I don't believe you're incompetent lol

21 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Who was left on the roster that would have made a total rebuild inevitable?

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Who was left on the roster that would have made a total rebuild inevitable?

I'm confused by the wording of the question, but we had Ciaja (left because Coach Stone left) Brooke, Julia Martinez, and Natalie McNeal which would have been a solid core to recruit around.

38 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Ciaja and McNeal were leaves by anyway. 

That’s my understanding especially Ciaja. Martinez and aren’t players to build around anyway. They aren’t too 5 players on a good team and Brooke is good but not great. We had basically 1 player of any caliber

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

That’s my understanding especially Ciaja. Martinez and aren’t players to build around anyway. They aren’t too 5 players on a good team and Brooke is good but not great. We had basically 1 player of any caliber

It was time to move on from Stone.  Just not so sure they hired the right replacement.  I don’t expect wins this seasons.  The cupboard was bare for Tillet, but who exactly was signed in the early signing period by Tillet?

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

It was time to move on from Stone.  Just not so sure they hired the right replacement.  I don’t expect wins this seasons.  The cupboard was bare for Tillet, but who exactly was signed in the early signing period by Tillet?

Not arguing that but I’d say it’s a little early for conclusions. I was just surprised anyone had any expectations other than a rebuild. 

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Not arguing that but I’d say it’s a little early for conclusions. I was just surprised anyone had any expectations other than a rebuild. 

I'm still just very unhappy with the way they just cast Stone aside considering she brought the program back from the dead with her recruiting.

slufanskip likes this

10 minutes ago, willie said:

I think she deserved one more year. 

I completely agree. The last 2 years weren't her fault. I think we were about to be in a rebuild but we had to be the unluckiest D-I women's program from a month long covid pause to 75% of our team being injured at various points. Not even Geno Auriemma would have been able to win under those conditions.

Stone was not recruiting at a high level anymore.  She had a lot of staff turnover that also hurt her recruiting. I had doubts whether we could hire someone better than her though. 

Tillet signed no one in the fall. She brought a lot of veteran players that I thought would make us competitive. That hasn't been the case. It makes me worried that she thought these players were A10 level players and they aren't.

Ciaja scored 32 for Vanderbilt last night.

8 hours ago, willie said:

I think she deserved one more year. 

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

Stone was not recruiting at a high level anymore.  She had a lot of staff turnover that also hurt her recruiting. I had doubts whether we could hire someone better than her though. 

Tillet signed no one in the fall. She brought a lot of veteran players that I thought would make us competitive. That hasn't been the case. It makes me worried that she thought these players were A10 level players and they aren't.

Ciaja scored 32 for Vanderbilt last night.

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

I am in agreement with these three posts, I think Stone deserved one more year, but in a lot of ways the makeup of her roster made this off-season the right time to shake things up and move on. She was going to have a big roster turnover anyway. I think May thought the job would be much more enticing than it ended up being. Tillett is a "low risk, high reward hire" which is not the direction to take after you fire a coach that has stabilized your program. You sell out for the splash.

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

She brought a lot of veteran players that I thought would make us competitive.

The only one that has made any impression so far is Kyla McMakin.

Edit: and she's a senior 🤪

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour

Give Tillet 4 years.   She deserves the chance to clean house abd bring in her own roster 

Now that said this new NCAA nil b.s. and transfer rules might make that impossible and truthfully if that is the case, no coach is gonna succeed at Saint Louis University women's bball ever again.   I keep hoping that this NiL is a short term try.  But in all likelihood it's here to stay.   The big schools have money machines.  We do not.   

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Give Tillet 4 years. 

May specifically said he wants the women's program to compete consistently in the NCAA Tournament (we can discuss why this is unrealistic given the achievement gap in WBB) but a win/results now mentality to me feels like she has 2 to 3 at max. May painted himself into a corner.