Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

They lost that?  I went to lunch when they were up 11 with 4:30 left, figured it was in the bag… ouch

Same here. Thought it was in the bag too. Was checking on the score online and all of a sudden they were only up one and then fell behind. I guess Sycamores had a big run.

7 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Same here. Thought it was in the bag too. Was checking on the score online and all of a sudden they were only up one and then fell behind. I guess Sycamores had a big run.

Sycamores went on a run and the Billikens couldn’t stop them.

6 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Stayed for the whole game this time. What a complete turn-around this was. Hard to believe it's the same team.

A team who took 7+ minutes to score in an exhibition game scores nearly 100 and beats their opponents by nearly 60 points. Whiplash is what they call it, I believe. 

SLU alum Ciaja Harbison was the SEC Women's basketball Co-Player of the Week to start the season. 

Averaged over 20 and 5, while also being amongst the leaders in Field Goal Percentage, Steals, and Free Throw Percentage.

Her team has also had multiple players with preseason season ending injuries.

15 hours ago, courtside said:

SLU alum Ciaja Harbison was the SEC Women's basketball Co-Player of the Week to start the season. 

Averaged over 20 and 5, while also being amongst the leaders in Field Goal Percentage, Steals, and Free Throw Percentage.

Her team has also had multiple players with preseason season ending injuries.

I miss her. She was so so good.

9 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I miss her. She was so so good.

I miss her consistent play. We could use that. Team seems to be either up or down.

The team appears to have not solved it’s 3 pt problem. Last year, we were 108-422, .256 percentage, good for 331st in Div 1 (mathematically, the bottom 5%). This year so far, we are 21-81, .259 percentage. Improvement is needed there.

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I miss her consistent play. We could use that. Team seems to be either up or down.

The team appears to have not solved it’s 3 pt problem. Last year, we were 108-422, .256 percentage, good for 331st in Div 1 (mathematically, the bottom 5%). This year so far, we are 21-81, .259 percentage. Improvement is needed there.

Injuries and transfers last year really hurt some really good seasons back before Covid.

The Billikens started slow, we’re down by 8 at the half, and down by 12 midway through the 3rd, then slowly started catching up, tied with 3 min to go, then pulled ahead with less than 2 min left. Green Bay, however tied it up with a minute left, then went ahead on a couple of free throws with 15 seconds left. The Billikens then had trouble inbounding the ball, Green Bay got it back, forcing the Billikens to foul, and Green Bay did not miss a free throw at the end. Kyla McMakin missed a 3 pointer with 4 seconds left which would have tied it. Green Bay wins 73-70.  The Billikens played good on defense at times, but not good enough. When they got the ball inside to Brooke Flowers they got some points. I’d like to see more of that, maybe get both Flowers and Sevval Gul in at the same time and force the ball inside on offense more. Green Bay out rebounded them 37-35, turned the ball over 5 fewer times (18-13), got more points off turnovers, 23-14, got more points in the paint, 28-24. We did better with 3 point shooting, 10 of 25. Kyla McMakin got 31 points and Brooke Flowers 14. Tough loss, one that could have been won.

Second game this weekend the Billikens could have won, but lost. SLU was ahead 36-31 at halftime, but SD came out and out scored SLU 19-8 in the third (3-13 shooting for the Billikens).  SLU battled back in the 4th, took the lead 65-64 with 1:45 left, but SD scored 7 points from that point on, while the Billikens only managed 2. SLU lost the turnover battle (21-16) and the rebounding battle (43-40). SLU did get more points in the paint, 34-28.  Defense still needs to be tighter. Ty Margenthaler wins in the reunion tour (he’s now an Assistant at South Dakota).

38 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClRl0a5uLK1/?igshid=N2ZiY2E3YmU=

This is cool, but I wish their record reflected it...

The individual effort and accomplishments are great, but as a team they just aren’t there. Areas they need to work on as a team:

3pt shooting - 36-125, .288 percentage- need better shot discipline, that is not a winning percentage.

Rebounding - ave 37.2 per game, opponents ave 41.7 per game, net -4.5 lower per game. And the one game they won, they out rebounded SIUE 46-29, so in the games we’ve lost it’s been worse. 

Turnovers have been fairly even, 118 for SLU, 122 for opponents, but again the one game we won against SIUE we were +12 in turnovers, so in our losses we’ve been giving it up too much. 

The rebounding and turnovers we need to work on, as well as more offensive efficiency on three pointers

It would also be nice to see more bodies in the seats, but I don’t know how to turn that around except winning more games. In the 2018-2019 season, we averaged 1,903 per game, in the 2019-2020 season, 1,723 per game. So far this year, 302 per game. I have nothing to suggest how to improve attendance except winning. 

53 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

It would also be nice to see more bodies in the seats, but I don’t know how to turn that around except winning more games. In the 2018-2019 season, we averaged 1,903 per game, in the 2019-2020 season, 1,723 per game. So far this year, 302 per game. I have nothing to suggest how to improve attendance except winning. 

If they get to 2015-2017 levels of good, then they'll get tons of folks in the seats. Those teams were legendary.

slufanskip likes this

Next up for the women is the Gulf Coast Showcase. First up is Baylor on Friday, who is currently 3-1 and ranked #21 in the latest AP poll.  Their only loss is to #14 ranked Maryland. After that, we get either Villanova, 4-0 and tied for 23rd, or Belmont 1-3 (two of their losses were to teams ranked in the top 10) on Saturday.  Other participants that we might get Sunday are Michigan, 4-0, ranked #22, USF 5-0 (received votes but not in the top 25), Air Force 3-1, and Georgia Tech 3-1.  Looks like you have to subscribe to Flo Sports to see any of the games.

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Looks like you have to subscribe to Flo Sports to see any of the games

This is fuoking atrocious, it's expensive to get Flo Sports just for women's basketball, I wish they'd just do ESPN+ since there's more access 

10 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This is fuoking atrocious, it's expensive to get Flo Sports just for women's basketball, I wish they'd just do ESPN+ since there's more access 

Agree 100%. Flo Sports is highly overpriced for what you get, ESPN+ is not only cheaper, but from what I’ve seen much higher quality.

I really thought this team would be a bit of surprise, middle of the pack A10 team, maybe get a top 6 finish.  I was really wrong.  A win for us at this showcase may be staying within 40 points of our opponents.