Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

Just now, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I think bringing the whole Longwood program with her just isn't translating so far. We're SLU, not Longwood, maybe the systems are completely different.

Maybe. But while I was watching the first quarter, seeing what I presume were her starting 5, I’m not sure I actually saw a system of any kind. If anyone can identify what system they were trying to run, please let me know.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the game, but here is the positive spin.  We outscored them by 12 in the last 3 quarters.  Obviously, it was a terrible first quarter for a team that playing together for the first time with most of them having a new coaching staff.  There are many players playing a new system for the first time.  If they continue the improvement shown over the last three quarters, we might be fine. 😬

22 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I didn't see the game, but here is the positive spin.  We outscored them by 12 in the last 3 quarters.  Obviously, it was a terrible first quarter for a team that playing together for the first time with most of them having a new coaching staff.  There are many players playing a new system for the first time.  If they continue the improvement shown over the last three quarters, we might be fine. 😬

If we had played 7 qtrs we would have won by 4. 11 qtrs by 16. It’s fine we just didn’t play long enough 

17 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Ok, so that happened. I was expecting to see what the new players brought to team, see how well they played, how well the team worked together, etc… Even though this was against a Division 2 team (and not the best in the GLVC), I thought I would see what the Billikens had.  What I saw the first quarter was as dismal a performance as I have ever seen. The score at the end of the first quarter was Maryville 24, SLU 4. And 3 of those 4 points came with only 5 seconds left as Kyla McMakin hit a 3. The offense seemed to consist of the player with the ball dribbling and trying to score, while the other 4 players stayed rooted to more or less random spots on the floor. If they were trying to actually run an offense, it wasn’t apparent to me. The reason I think the spots the other players were going to was random was all the bad passing made it seem like no one had an idea where any other player was on the court.  I actually did a check during the quarter, and yes the Billikens were wearing white, Maryville was wearing black, so there couldn’t have been confusion over uniforms. Yes it was that bad.  From the box score, FG % in the first quarter, 1-14, 7.14%. 

Brooke Flowers had a bad game, no other way to say it, I’ve seen much better from her.  Kyla McMakin did not impress at all. Those were some bad shots she was taking, air balls and hitting iron. She only played 24 minutes because of how quickly she got into foul trouble. Camree Clegg started out cold, but got hot in the fourth quarter.  Julia Martinez was our best player, I thought. She was constantly moving and never stopped trying, and it was only because of her and Clegg getting hot that the score was so close at the end.

McMakin HAS to be better than 2-16 and fouling out.  This has to be an anomaly.  Maybe she was ill.

Forget her Longwood stats.  She was Player of the Year in Virginia Beach. This is from where Iverson, Vick and other such athletes hail.  The high school level in that area is extremely high.  There is just no way this game was a legit indication of her skill set…

13 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

McMakin HAS to be better than 2-16 and fouling out.  This has to be an anomaly.  Maybe she was ill.

Forget her Longwood stats.  She was Player of the Year in Virginia Beach. This is from where Iverson, Vick and other such athletes hail.  The high school level in that area is extremely high.  There is just no way this game was a legit indication of her skill set…

It was only one game. But the stats were what they were for the game, and this was against D2 level competition.  This was the first chance we had to see her live, I was hoping for much better myself. There will be other games. But the entire team needs to make sure what happened in that first quarter doesn’t happen again.  

Gremio14 likes this

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

But the entire team needs to make sure what happened in that first quarter doesn’t happen again.

It took us almost 6 minutes to score, so yeah I'd love to score sooner.

37 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

It took us almost 6 minutes to score, so yeah I'd love to score sooner.

It actually took 7:09 and that was a free throw. It was 24-1 Maryville before our first field goal was made (a trey by McMakin) with 8 seconds left in the first quarter.

You're not gonna win many games giving up 24 in the first quarter. Especially if you only score 4.

48 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

It actually took 7:09 and that was a free throw. It was 24-1 Maryville before our first field goal was made (a trey by McMakin) with 8 seconds left in the first quarter.

You're not gonna win many games giving up 24 in the first quarter. Especially if you only score 4.

And it's not like those were bad luck shots! We weren't even close to making anything!

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think he was referring to the hurricane situation.

Hertz Arena, where this happening, apparently was fine, from what I could find it was actually used as a shelter for those left without homes by the hurricane. They moved everyone out of there to another location in October. I would assume no problems with the venue. What the neighborhood around it is like I can’t say. Hopefully businesses that survived have had time to clean up and get back in business, and many people are back in their houses.  As someone who was put out of my house for 6 months in the Good Friday tornado in 2011, they have my sympathy.

8 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Definitely much improved. Playing with a lot more energy, defense is much better, offense much better.

I shudder to think what the exhibition looked like. Kennedy Calhoun is not ready to run this team at point. McMakin looks completely disinterested in anything other than chucking threes. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I shudder to think what the exhibition looked like. Kennedy Calhoun is not ready to run this team at point. McMakin looks completely disinterested in anything other than chucking threes. 

I was there for a half. I'm still shuddering. I can't convey how stunned I was at how badly they played. Coach Stone managed to win games last year with just one or two people on the bench. This team looked like they just met each other in the parking lot.