Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

SLU WBB picked 12th in the preseason A10 poll. Hard for me to disagree with that, I think the potential is there for more than that, but they finished 11th last year, there is a whole new coaching staff, there are 9 new players on the roster and only 6 returning players from last year, and they lost their leading scorer. Hard to argue with the 12th preseason poll. They do have Brooke Flowers returning with her 11.5 rebounds a game (and 11 points a game), and the players brought in from Longwood know the new coach and have experience playing on a team that made the NCAA (and won a first round game), and 3 of them started that NCAA game, so they don’t lack experience. The team must find a way to score (especially 3 pointers, which were a major problem last), rebounding should be good with Brooke Flowers in the game, but some more help there would be nice. They need to be tight on defense, keep the opposing teams score down and they will be in the game. Up to Coach Tillett and the players to show what they can do on the court. Roll Billikens!

BuiltFordBills likes this

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Coach Tillett managed to get her staff expanded from what was here before. Last year we had 1 Associate Head Coach, 2 Assistant Head Coaches, and a Director of Basketball Operations (4 total, not counting the Graduate Student). With the new hire, we now have 6 on staff, 2 Associate Head Coaches, 1 Assistant Head Coach, a Director of Scouting & Program Development, a Director of Basketball Operations, and a Video Coordinator. 

We not only lost we were blown out. 

Maryville scored the first 14 points. Led 24-4 at the end of the first quarter, we made a buzzer beater 3 or it would have been 24-1. They led by 33-6 in the 2nd quarter.

Maryville didn't score the final 7 minutes of regulation and still won by 8.

The backcourt Tillet brought in shot 8-33. Rest of the team shot 17-44.

Maryville is not good, even for their level. This is very very bad.

Ok, so that happened. I was expecting to see what the new players brought to team, see how well they played, how well the team worked together, etc… Even though this was against a Division 2 team (and not the best in the GLVC), I thought I would see what the Billikens had.  What I saw the first quarter was as dismal a performance as I have ever seen. The score at the end of the first quarter was Maryville 24, SLU 4. And 3 of those 4 points came with only 5 seconds left as Kyla McMakin hit a 3. The offense seemed to consist of the player with the ball dribbling and trying to score, while the other 4 players stayed rooted to more or less random spots on the floor. If they were trying to actually run an offense, it wasn’t apparent to me. The reason I think the spots the other players were going to was random was all the bad passing made it seem like no one had an idea where any other player was on the court.  I actually did a check during the quarter, and yes the Billikens were wearing white, Maryville was wearing black, so there couldn’t have been confusion over uniforms. Yes it was that bad.  From the box score, FG % in the first quarter, 1-14, 7.14%. 

Brooke Flowers had a bad game, no other way to say it, I’ve seen much better from her.  Kyla McMakin did not impress at all. Those were some bad shots she was taking, air balls and hitting iron. She only played 24 minutes because of how quickly she got into foul trouble. Camree Clegg started out cold, but got hot in the fourth quarter.  Julia Martinez was our best player, I thought. She was constantly moving and never stopped trying, and it was only because of her and Clegg getting hot that the score was so close at the end.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not a single tweet from the official WBB account, very odd evening.

Not sure what positive thoughts they could have tweeted. The play even seemed to affect the cheerleaders, who came out to do the thing where they hold up signs to spell out St Louis. Except the last cheerleader went to the other side, so what we got was “S..A..I..N.._.   L..O..U..I.._”.  I thought I would re read my first post last night and correct if needed, but after reflection I stand by what I said.  

Last year even when they lost I thought this team played with heart and tried their best at all times, even if the execution offensively was, shall we say, challenged. I did see some of that in the 4th quarter, where Julia Martinez was leading the team, encouraging them to do better. There was movement on the offense then, positioning to get rebounds, getting results and generating momentum. Non of that was happening in the first quarter or first half. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Last year even when they lost I thought this team played with heart and tried their best at all times

This ^ 

I saw none of that tonight except from what you mentioned in your post. I remarked to someone else that even when we were losing last year, it was entertaining and I think nuking the team with a coaching change was a meh idea.

14 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Not sure what positive thoughts they could have tweeted. The play even seemed to affect the cheerleaders, who came out to do the thing where they hold up signs to spell out St Louis. Except the last cheerleader went to the other side, so what we got was “S..A..I..N.._.   L..O..U..I.._”.  I thought I would re read my first post last night and correct if needed, but after reflection I stand by what I said.  

Last year even when they lost I thought this team played with heart and tried their best at all times, even if the execution offensively was, shall we say, challenged. I did see some of that in the 4th quarter, where Julia Martinez was leading the team, encouraging them to do better. There was movement on the offense then, positioning to get rebounds, getting results and generating momentum. Non of that was happening in the first quarter or first half. 

I don't understand this sentiment. Why would it matter if there was something positive to say or not. Every team in the world at least tweets a final score. For them to not tweet A SINGLE TWEET, is really bad form.

55 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't understand this sentiment. Why would it matter if there was something positive to say or not. Every team in the world at least tweets a final score. For them to not tweet A SINGLE TWEET, is really bad form.

True. I guess whoever has the keys to the twitter account (Coach Tillett? One of her assistants?) had nothing to say. Which is a bit weird. Wireless did work just fine when I checked my phone in the arena. Maybe someone lost the phone?

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Martinez could be a good player if she could shoot the ball at all. 

21 minutes ago, willie said:

Martinez could be a good player if she could shoot the ball at all. 

I know these are subjective assessments, but I think she IS a good player. There are other skills than shooting. She would of course be a much better player if she could shoot. As I said above, I only saw the first half, but I thought she brought some semblance of order to her team when she was in.

I was very surprised that she didn't start. (I know, starting is for high school yada yada). And I was surprised also to see someone that DID start, who was pretty much a bench player for Coach Stone. As I told an usher friend on my way out, I don't know what to make of this. And his feeling was, it looks like they've never played or practiced together before.

I knew hardly anything about the players that came along with the new coach but I thought they'd be better than they showed last night. An NCAA appearance and win etc. This could be a long ugly season unless they get some things figured out. And even then, if the talent isn't there...

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I know these are subjective assessments, but I think she IS a good player. There are other skills than shooting. She would of course be a much better player if she could shoot. As I said above, I only saw the first half, but I thought she brought some semblance of order to her team when she was in.

I was very surprised that she didn't start. (I know, starting is for high school yada yada). And I was surprised also to see someone that DID start, who was pretty much a bench player for Coach Stone. As I told an usher friend on my way out, I don't know what to make of this. And his feeling was, it looks like they've never played or practiced together before.

I knew hardly anything about the players that came along with the new coach but I thought they'd be better than they showed last night. An NCAA appearance and win etc. This could be a long ugly season unless they get some things figured out. And even then, if the talent isn't there...

She’s a good player who doesn’t shoot much. Last night she brought energy with her when she came off the bench. In the 4th quarter, she sure looked like the team leader, directing and encouraging. She was the primary reason the final score didn’t look so bad. If they played like that the whole game, they would have won. I’d start Martinez at point guard. She won’t lead the scoring, but she would improve things.

Just now, Lord Elrond said:

She’s a good player who doesn’t shoot much. Last night she brought energy with her when she came off the bench. In the 4th quarter, she sure looked like the team leader, directing and encouraging. She was the primary reason the final score didn’t look so bad. If they played like that the whole game, they would have won. I’d start Martinez at point guard. She won’t lead the scoring, but she would improve things.

From what I saw of the point guards last night, I agree with you. In fact, if she doesn't start from here on out, I'd think the coach is nuts.

3 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

From what I saw of the point guards last night, I agree with you. In fact, if she doesn't start from here on out, I'd think the coach is nuts.

Julia, Brooke, and Kylie should all be starting. They're the returners and upper classmen who have played together. Obviously working out chemistry is a thing, but if you want to win or try to win, you go with what works.

I attended the meet and greet a couple of weeks ago for the women's team. One thing that was emphasized was that even though the newcomers outnumbered the incumbents, there was unity and team togetherness with the combined squad. This was stated by both the coaches and the players, both old and new. And I don't at all doubt that that is true.

That said, I suspect the coach has a bias toward her own recruits, even if it's non-intentional. If that's the case, hopefully she'll figure out just who the leaders and the winners are on the team and coach accordingly. And as stated earlier, (and I know it's just one exhibition game), I was disappointed in the play of the newcomers.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

That said, I suspect the coach has a bias toward her own recruits, even if it's non-intentional.

I think bringing the whole Longwood program with her just isn't translating so far. We're SLU, not Longwood, maybe the systems are completely different.