College Sports Madness Top 144 Countdown 2022-23

17 hours ago, thetorch said:

I liked the pod but I thought they were too high on Holmes.

These guys do have biases, there is a big dayton & UMass bias there.  I think too they rated a lot of players high who just happen to be the best player on a bad team instead of multiple good players on good teams.

They did make a good point that if you have 4 top 20 guys you should run away with the league.  They also made a point that last year they had really bad picks.

Let's not overrate Okoro.  He is a nice offensive traditional big.  His athleticism is not great.  His rim protection is not elite.  He guards the post well.  He can't pass or dribble.  Or shoot from outside of 10-12 feet.

Frankly I think we have 3 top 7 players in the league in Jimerson, Perkins, and Collins.  Then we have Okoro, Thatch, & Pickett who are all in the top 40-50.  Not too bad.

Couldn't disagree more on Okoro regarding his athleticism, he's a top 10 in the league athlete.  Now his shooting and ball-handling ...... just average.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Okoro is a top 3 big in the conference.  If he's not top 20, he's very close.

While I love big men, this is a guard league and we are deep in guards.  I also think there are a couple newcomer bigs who will be very good.  Top 3 big in the league this season does not necessarily equal a top 20 player.

4 hours ago, thetorch said:

While I love big men, this is a guard league and we are deep in guards.  I also think there are a couple newcomer bigs who will be very good.  Top 3 big in the league this season does not necessarily equal a top 20 player.

I think he’s in the top 20 but I get the counterpoint. But you said not even top 40. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Billiken foe Memphis comes in at 46.  They lost 6 of their top 7 scorers from last season. No reason we can't take them at home. 

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20957

They did pick up one of the best transfers. They do have a pretty small and meh front court tho. 

After our win in the HOF opener against Maryland, we would possibly play Providence, if they can get by Miami.  The Friars are another team we should defeat.  They lost a ton of scoring, and brought in a ton of transfers, including Clifton Moore from LaSalle.  They have three significant returnees.  I'd call it a Billiken win in the HOF winners bracket, but I'm not sure they will get by "the U".  Coach Cooley is perhaps their biggest asset.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20963

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

After our win in the HOF opener against Maryland, we would possibly play Providence, if they can get by Miami.  The Friars are another team we should defeat.  They lost a ton of scoring, and brought in a ton of transfers, including Clifton Moore from LaSalle.  They have three significant returnees.  I'd call it a Billiken win in the HOF winners bracket, but I'm not sure they will get by "the U".  Coach Cooley is perhaps their biggest asset.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20963

If these rankings hold  true...The NIT would have a ton if exciting names in it.  WVU, Marquette, CUSE, Maryland, Cincinnati, Mizzou, Butler, Wisconsin, Kstate, Okie State, St Johns, Washington, VCU, Seton Hall.  I also worry this is what will keep a handful of more deserving teams out of the NCAAt

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

WVU, Marquette, CUSE, Maryland, Cincinnati, Mizzou, Butler, Wisconsin, Kstate, Okie State, St Johns, Washington, VCU, Seton Hall.  

which one doesnt belong in this conversation?

mi$$ouri is not an elite high level team.  

bauman and HenryB like this

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20984

Probable foe Miami, after we defeat the Terps in Round 1 of the HOF and they punish the Friars, comes in at 37.  They will be guard oriented, with two returning perimeter players added to the Six Million Dollar Man, Nijel Pack.  They won't be overpowering in the paint.  We will match up well with Canes and can take them and claim the HOF trophy. 

Perhaps Pack will sign autographs at half time as part of his NIL deal.  I plan to be in line early.

CBFan likes this

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21007

Top 144 has Dayton at 30 and 2nd in the A10.  So what do you think, Bonnies at #1? 😄

Previously: 

VCU 50

Loyola 55

Richmond 79

Davidson 91

George Mason 115

Rhode Island 133

UMass 137

I don’t disagree but I am really surprised by this.

I thought for sure they would have Dayton as the favorite.

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

I cannot see SLU thought to be worse than UMass (137). This would be the case if they did not include us in the list.

SLU is obviously being ranked #1 in the A-10.  The only question is how high nationally?  We will know soon.

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I don’t disagree but I am really surprised by this.

I thought for sure they would have Dayton as the favorite.

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Oregon at #29, not that it really matters but hopefully we can hold out 4 more days. 

While I question the value of this site's rankings (they don't even have narratives on any teams this year) it is of some value in that we can find what other team's rosters look like-e.g. Dayton is loaded with SOPH's, and we can also see what transfers schools have gotten.

The other thing that strikes me this year is the large number of traditional CBB powers/semi-powers that are ranked below us.  Here's hoping we stay healthy, especially at the #1 and #5 spots, where we have little proven depth and then of course Javonte P, who is in a class by himself.

Could be a really special season in the last year we have FO, Perkins, Pickett and maybe Yuri and Fred.

Just now, Old guy said:

Yow Billiken Roy, you have been drinking an overdose of Blue Koolaid lately!

apparently reading the billikens.com message board the last month or so, there is a lot of overdose blue koolaid cases happening.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

apparently reading the billikens.com message board the last month or so, there is a lot of overdose blue koolaid cases happening.  

As long as it’s fentanyl free send me a case of the blue kool aid. Until then I’ll drink Blue Moon.