College Sports Madness Top 144 Countdown 2022-23

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll play…

UMass, Rhode Island, and St Bonaventure are the most likely candidates.

St B made tournament last year, but lost everyone. I’ll say they don’t make it. Richmond needed AQ to go to NCAA, but that still means 2 tournament A10 teams are not on this list. 

I’ll pick UMass with Frank Martin due to Fernandes returning on two good front court transfers from BC and Louisville. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Archie Miller and Rhode Island are the mystery 7th team though. 

12 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I’ll play…

St B made tournament last year, but lost everyone. I’ll say they don’t make it. Richmond needed AQ to go to NCAA, but that still means 2 tournament A10 teams are not on this list. 

I’ll pick UMass with Frank Martin due to Fernandes returning on two good front court transfers from BC and Louisville. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Archie Miller and Rhode Island are the mystery 7th team though. 

I'd add Richmond to the list of potential teams to sneak onto this list.  They lost a ton (Gilyard, Golden, Cayo), but do return Burton who might be the frontrunner for A10 POY.

26 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I’ll play…

Rhody already clocked in at 133, 8th in A10.  So you get a mulligan. I’ll go with RIchmond, no make that UMass, or can they tie?

SLU_Lax likes this

Has to be Richmond.  Burton, Grace, Gustavson all return and that is better than Fernandes.  Plus the 7-foot transfer from Lafayette.  Short of Fernandes, you could add in TJ Weeks to the Umass roster but the rest are mostly transfers or far-down-the-bench players.  Might be tough playing for Frank Martin in such an atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless some of these Davidson freshmen light it up, I just can't see anything besides Loyer and Mennenga.  Skogman didn't tear up the MAC and Huffman is a weak point guard or a weak two guard.  

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Unless some of these Davidson freshmen light it up, I just can't see anything besides Loyer and Mennenga.  Skogman didn't tear up the MAC and Huffman is a weak point guard or a weak two guard.  

We always underestimate Davidson then they kick our ass. I’m done underestimating these guys. McKillop SR’s gone but hands the reins to Jr. You can bet, however, that Dad will still play a role.  Unless, of course, he’s moved to Florida. 

Billiiken foe SIUC #87, third in the Valley.  This would trend as a Q3 home game.  I have always liked SIUC's Domask.  Johnson will give them a solid double digit scorer.

Wonder who is predicted as second and first in the Valley?  Drake will be in one of those slots. They have a lot of experience returning.  Murray State the other?  Belmont?  They lost five, fifth year seniors.  Northern Iowa and Missouri State lost a lot of their key components from last season. 

Indiana State was previously listed as #125 and 4th in the Valley.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20851

23 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Billiiken foe SIUC #87, third in the Valley.  This would trend as a Q3 home game.  I have always liked SIUC's Domask.  Johnson will give them a solid double digit scorer.

Wonder who is predicted as second and first in the Valley?  Drake will be in one of those slots. They have a lot of experience returning.  Murray State the other?  Belmont?  They lost five, fifth year seniors.  Northern Iowa and Missouri State lost a lot of their key components from last season. 

Indiana State was previously listed as #125 and 4th in the Valley.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20851

I'd guess Bradley will be 2nd & Drake 1st.  Bradley finished 5th last season & Drake 4th.  Bradley and Drake both return 4/5 starters from last season.  As you mentioned #1 UNI and #3 MO State lost a ton.  #2 Loyola is of course no longer in the league.  Murray State lost pretty much their entire roster & coach.  Belmont lost a lot as well.

HoosierPal likes this

Billiken opponent Iona slated as #85 in Top 144, 1st in MAAC. The Gaels lost 4 solid contributors, including top scorer Tyson Jolly, and have 5 freshmen plus 2 transfers coming in, including Mizzou cast off Anton Brookshire.  Perhaps the Gaels will be a step down from last season's squad.  But they will be tough on their floor.  Trending towards a Q2/Q1 away game for the Bills.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20858

Iona should still be favored to win the MAAC again. Saint Peter's won the conference tournament last year but obviously has a new coach and some player turnover. Iona's talent level is just a cut above the rest of the league and Pitino as a coach in that league feels unfair. They might have lost a lot but I wouldn't overlook them, especially at their place.

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Iona should still be favored to win the MAAC again. Saint Peter's won the conference tournament last year but obviously has a new coach and some player turnover. Iona's talent level is just a cut above the rest of the league and Pitino as a coach in that league feels unfair. They might have lost a lot but I wouldn't overlook them, especially at their place.

Saint Peters has more than just "some" player turnover.  They lost their top 7 players in terms of minutes last season (and 8 of their top 9).  They brought in some lower level transfers, but it is a pretty much a total re-build.  Transfer portal / losing their coach pretty much killed them.  I doubt they finish top 3 in the MAAC. 

Iona should win the MAAC regular season, but anything can happen in a one & one tournament.  Their main competition is probably Fairfield or Quinnipiac.

Pistol likes this

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I’d like to see Iona in the A10 and bet Pitino would love the move. Fordham really screwed up not grabbing him before Iona got him. You may hate the guy but there’s no denying he’s a program builder. 

35 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I’d like to see Iona in the A10 and bet Pitino would love the move. Fordham really screwed up not grabbing him before Iona got him. You may hate the guy but there’s no denying he’s a program builder. 

im  in for adding Iona IF this means we also remove either duquesne , La salle or Fordham.  And Iona has to play their games at a bigger venue or build a new gym. 

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

im  in for adding Iona IF this means we also remove either duquesne , La salle or Fordham.  And Iona has to play their games at a bigger venue or build a new gym. 

we all suggest this every year however it has never even seriously been discussed as far as we know by the A-10.   It boggles me that the decision makers for the conference do not come up with minimum requirements for each institution like number of sports involved, budget sizes, facilities, etc to at least show that each school is trying to be competitive.   any school not reaching such should be given a reasonable time frame to first come up with a plan to conform and second when it will be up to speed with the rest of the conference.   if programs refuse then i would think they have every right to force them out of the conference.   or maybe take away or at least limit NCAA money that currently is shared by all.   

once again, i blame Brenda (Bernadette before everyone gets mad).  

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

He is, but the question is what Iona does with the program after he's gone. I'm not sold on them sustaining higher-level athletics across the board that would justify a jump to the A10. The league is already a little overstuffed as-is. No sense in expansion unless it's for a school that makes it undeniably stronger.

cgeldmacher and AGB91 like this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

He is, but the question is what Iona does with the program after he's gone. I'm not sold on them sustaining higher-level athletics across the board that would justify a jump to the A10. The league is already a little overstuffed as-is. No sense in expansion unless it's for a school that makes it undeniably stronger.

I think I'd rather have a rick less Iona than Lasalle.  not like its a sweet deal or anything. 

billiken_roy likes this

I maintain that if Fordham was serious about hoops they’ve had hired Pitino. I also think, and this will send B’roy over the edge, if Travis had left when Pitino became available, Dr C would have brought him to SLU. Probably over objections of BOT, but he would have done it. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Did I read a few days ago that Pitino is under investigation at Iona?